Identify WW2 Photo?

Identify WW2 Photo?

This is a discussion on Identify WW2 Photo? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My dad took many photos in WW2.Anyone know what this might be?Looks like a Japanese flag.Are they surrendering or just standing in formation? I was ...

Thread: Identify WW2 Photo?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

Identify WW2 Photo?

My dad took many photos in WW2.Anyone know what this might be?Looks like a Japanese flag.Are they surrendering or just standing in formation? I was digging through a pile of old pics and this 8x10 caught my eye.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I am no expert, but I don't see any sign that they are surrendering. Looks to me like they're in formation, saluting the flag. Perhaps some kind of formal ceremony?

If your Dad took this picture, it looks like he was on top of a turret with his camera...all the uniformed and civilian dressed appear to be Japaneses ...umm...which side was yer Dad on?

Quote Originally Posted by kaboomkaboom View Post
    If your Dad took this picture, it looks like he was on top of a turret with his camera...all the uniformed and civilian dressed appear to be Japaneses ...umm...which side was yer Dad on?
    It was in a trunk with a few hundred photos and his 2 cameras.We retrieved the trunk about 15 years ago from a relatives home in Houston.I really have no idea how he got this photo.He did not buy photos from the Japanese,so I am not sure.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Great picture! I wonder if he recovered the camera after a battle then had the film developed. We will probably never know.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    Great picture! I wonder if he recovered the camera after a battle then had the film developed. We will probably never know.
    That could be.There was a japanese sword and a flag in the trunk.I am sure many things were brought home by our soldiers.

Almost looks like they are commissioning a new ship?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

If he served in WW2 he may have found the photo after driving the Japanese back
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    After looking at the photo more carefully, it clearly looks like it is a photo that was taken of another photo. It is not an original photo, in my opinion.

Were the cameras Japanese or American made? That would reveal a lot as to whether these are photos he himself took, or just photos that he confiscated. What are the other photos of?

Was your father stationed in Japan after the end of the war?

The ship itself looks like it is a Kongo class battleship. All of the Kongo class battleship sank at sea, except for the Haruna. It was hit by American warplanes in shallow water while still moored in Japan on July 28, 1945, so it only settled into the water. So my best guess is that it could be a photo of the Haruna.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboomkaboom View Post
    That was my first thought. Definitely not taken DURING the war by an American unless he was a really sneaky fella!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

In talking with one of my brothers today,he is of the same opinion as many of you.During and after the war,film and photo was found and brought home by many soldiers.I believe that is what happened in this case.

VIP Member
    The fire burning in the back center of the photo is also puzzling. It makes it look like a ship being commissioned in the midst of some bombing attack or fierce fire on land not very far away; which doesn't really make sense. Well, it does make sense if Lance's assessment (post 9), "the Haruna. It was hit by American warplanes in shallow water while still moored in Japan on July 28, 1945," is correct.

The photo does have some slight resemblance to the Japanese surrender taken from an unusual angle (which could explain your dad's assertion that he took it from up high above the turret) but the folks obviously saluting the Japanese flag isn't consistent with that interpretation, I don't think.

With almost nothing to go on but guessing, Lance's explanation would appear to make sense; the Haruna at the moment of attack in July 1945. Neat and nifty photo if that is what it actually is.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    In talking with one of my brothers today,he is of the same opinion as many of you.During and after the war,film and photo was found and brought home by many soldiers.I believe that is what happened in this case.
    So are the cameras Japanese? If they are, then I think that would confirm that conclusion. If the photos were taken by your father, one would expect to see other US Servicemen in them. Are all of the photos like this one, and show only Japanese? If so, that would further prove that the photos were not his.

Do you not know if you father served in Japan during the occupation?

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    So are the cameras Japanese? If they are, then I think that would confirm that conclusion. If the photos were taken by your father, one would expect to see other US Servicemen in them. Are all of the photos like this one, and show only Japanese? If so, that would further prove that the photos were not his.

Do you not know if you father served in Japan during the occupation?

I believe the cameras were American made.The other photos were of U.S. ships and planes,soldiers,my dad with various native people.He went into the service in 1943.All of the photos that are identified by writing on the back were taken in the Philippines.

VIP Member
    My father has some pictures he brought back from WWII, they were apparently from some German soldiers film/camera that got left behind. I think that it was commonplace for them to share prints with each other made from film they found and developed.

I went with my father to some of his AAF reunions, and I looked through many of the photo albums that others had, and they too had some of the exact photos that my father had.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Sponsored Links