Granite Countertop question.

This is a discussion on Granite Countertop question. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So we decided to get Granite counter tops. We have been wanting them for about 5 years but they were always too expensive. The price ...

Thread: Granite Countertop question.

Granite Countertop question.

So we decided to get Granite counter tops. We have been wanting them for about 5 years but they were always too expensive. The price for granite has come down significantly. When we were shopping before, granite was more than Corean or Silestone type products. Now granite is the cheapest.

So Home Depot has their 15year sealer on their granite. We are going with a reputable local granite place. They have a standard 2 year sealer and for more money we can get the 15 year sealer.

Any advantage of paying more for the 15 year sealer?

I haven't checked out the price on granite sealers but can't I just seal them every year on my own and this should be superior to a 15 year sealer?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I seal mine once a year. Clean off the counters, wipe it on, let it dry for a few hours, put stuff back on counter. I do my backsplash at the same time. If the counter gets a lot of use (spills & harsh cleanings) you might have to do it every 6 months. I'm skeptical at multi-year sealers and think it's a gimmick because it will wear off depending how much you use/clean them.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I seal mine once a year. Clean off the counters, wipe it on, let it dry for a few hours, put stuff back on counter. I do my backsplash at the same time. If the counter gets a lot of use (spills & harsh cleanings) you might have to do it every 6 months. I'm skeptical at multi-year sealers and think it's a gimmick because it will wear off depending how much you use/clean them.
    Thats kind of what I was thinking about multi-year sealers.

I had to check with the resident authority on granite tops here, (she who must be obeyed), and in her expert opinion the 15 year sealers are not worth the extra money. Our tops are 3 yrs old and have been sealed once.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I had to check with the resident authority on granite tops here, (she who must be obeyed), and in her expert opinion the 15 year sealers are not worth the extra money. Our tops are 3 yrs old and have been sealed once.
    Let her know I said thank you. I will just seal myself every so often.

Distinguished Member
    You can always tell when they need sealing as leaving water on the counter will make dark spots in the granite as it soaks in.

Administrator
    I was told by the dealer who sold me my counters that the 15 year sealer was a waste of money.
    "Just blame Sixto"

In my last house, I had a 3x7 center island with a prep sink in the kitchen that I topped with "blue pearl" granite. Never, ever sealed it in 10+ years, and never, ever saw a need to. Barkeeper's Friend is all I ever needed for cleaning.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The granite company that did the job gave us some sealer. We seal it every year or two and in the interim use Simple Green Stone Cleaner and Stone Polish on it. Ours is black granite.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Just spoke with the Granite company we are using. $300 more for the 15 year sealer and they said that it is not worth it in their opinion.

here is what you want

use this about once a year and forget about it, best sealer out there and a $20 qt will last you the rest of your life. forget about extended life sealers. nothing but extra profit
    http://www.miraclesealants.com/downl...tor_080212.pdf

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I used to work for a beach resort in Costa Rica and a 5 years ago we changed the kitchen counter tops in all of the ocean view villas from ceramic to granite counter tops. Up to this day, the counter tops have never been sealed and they look brand new. Honestly, I have never heard of "sealing" granite counter tops before!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member
    You basically just seal them to prevent staining. Some granites are porous and could stain with dark liquids. Black granite is very dense and doesn't need to be sealed. Some sealers are also color enhancers to bring out more of the colors and detail.

Ok one more question.

The Granite company said that it has a 2 year sealer already put on it. They also seemed not really into the "you need to seal every 6 months" like the sales associates at Home Depot. The owner of the granite company told me that his granite in his home is 5 years old and he hasn't resealed it yet.

So should I buy some sealer and just use it now just to make sure it is sealed properly or just wait until I notice it soaking up water making water spots?

Links