bad day at the range

This is a discussion on bad day at the range within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had a HORRIBLE day at the range. Took my High point 9mm carbine, my 629 with magnum loads, and my XDM-40. Got my 4x ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: bad day at the range

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

bad day at the range

I had a HORRIBLE day at the range. Took my High point 9mm carbine, my 629 with magnum loads, and my XDM-40. Got my 4x scope sighted in on my 9mm and did well with it. Sent the target 25 feet down range and shot some 2 inch groups with my .44, all but 6 shots to the head. The other six were aimed at the body firing one handed double action. That went as well as could be expected. I did have three outside the head though, but well within my tolerances for awesome shooting so far. Then I picked up my .40 cal and proceded to shoot all over the target. I think I shot for too long and shot too many rounds that day or I was not focusing properly on the front sight or I just had quit caring and was trying to get out of there. Next time I will go with a two gun maximum and 100 rounds out of each, instead of the nearly 300 rounds I fired that day. Then as I packed up to leave I was loading my XDM with carry ammo and putting it away in my range bag. I picked up my back and started to turn when I heard PING PING PING PING WHIZZZ. Then I felt a sharp pain in my side and felt around for blood. Luckily I found none, but I did find some shrapnel pieces in my shirt. Some clown was pinging off the target posts and I got hit by one of his ricochets. He got banned from the range and I got comped for a box of shotgun shells I was buying for my 12 gauge. It turned out ok, but now I am wary of returning to that range during busy hours.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

I had something similar happen when I first started shooting. Dumb kids next to me. Very tiny piece of shrapnel that didnt break the skin but stung like crazy. Glad you are ok!
    Last edited by SIXTO; April 2nd, 2011 at 11:52 PM. Reason: rule 4 violation

that's we here in kansas would call " an automatic ass whoopin"

My suggestion is to limit yourself to 100 rounds of the "serious" gun per session, then maybe a bit of plinking. More than that becomes ballistic masturbation - you're just doing it to feel the buck & roar and smell the gunsmoke. (But we all do it.)
    Truckinfavis likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    smitty i almost replied before i finished your post with oh like you havnt done that before. Really my serious gun work was the 9mm, and the .44, trying to get comfortable with it for carry because its the most comfortable thing to carry for me. Not to mention I am a revolver guy. the .40 only worries me because if i have to use it it may be towards the end of my 12 hour shift when im tired and i dont want to miss if i need to use it for self defense
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Chris, then you owe it to yourself to do some practice at the end of a shift when you're tired, but limit it to one gun/one caliber. Give yourself a number of drills to do (pm me for Clint Smith's "One hundred rounds" article). and keep track of your progress. Be conscious of not biting off more than you can chew at one time!
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I will guarantee you if you ever get in a situation where you have to draw and possibly fire the last thing you will feel is tired.I shoot a lot of rounds during a range session,a lot of them are with a 22,then I move to either 40 or 45,sometimes 9mm,I shoot about 100 rounds of reloads,sometimes timed draw double taps and sometimes double tap failure to stop drills.
    One reason I shoot so long is my buddy is a shooting fanatic and besides work ,reloading and shooting are the only hobbies he has,so once a week I take the time to provide him with a friend he can shoot with and talk to.And if the SHTF I'm going to his house where he has pallets of ammo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Gasmitty is exactly correct. I always tell people it's not the number of rounds you fire, it's the quality of the session. I always tell people to "shoot with purpose", but of course it's ok to also shoot for just fun:)
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Glad to hear that you weren't seriously injured. I got home from the range once and found one of my spent 9mm shells in one of my front pants pockets.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My suggestion is to limit yourself to 100 rounds of the "serious" gun per session, then maybe a bit of plinking. More than that becomes ballistic masturbation - you're just doing it to feel the buck & roar and smell the gunsmoke. (But we all do it.)
    Butt i like to do it, it feels good when it goes off in my hand!

Good God Chris, how do you do it?

I love S&W revos, but the most comfortable gun I carry is a .32acp.

You practice head shots with a .44 Magnum for carry?
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Im glad you werent in NC or I may have felt bad. My son (11) was shooting one of those zombie targets and was aiming for its head. He shot a little high and took out the target clip sending some shrapnel back at us. After a few choice words and range control replacing the clip we started remedial training (no more zombies/ shoot groups).......

Glad everything turned out OK and a free box of ammo, well not too shabby!
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

When Hubby is shooting his Ruger Redhawk I try to stay 1 or 2 lanes away from him. Not only is the blast concussion a bit much but if he is shooting hot loads you can get some return that hurts.

I typically shoot 300-400 rds. every time I go to the range.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Links