Another Dog Story

This is a discussion on Another Dog Story within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It was Saturday, shortly after noon. It was time to close up the office, where I work from home, walk to the end of my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Another Dog Story

Another Dog Story

It was Saturday, shortly after noon. It was time to close up the office, where I work from home, walk to the end of my driveway, get the mail and flip my sign around to say that I was “Closed”. I look forward to my Saturday ritual, as I am officially off duty until Monday in most cases. The sun was out and there was a slight spring in my step as I locked the office door behind me and proceeded towards the road. What a beautiful day. Maybe Spring will finally get here, in spite of it snowing just two days earlier.

I walked the hundred or so feet, flipped my sign around and crossed the road to my mailbox, where it sits in front of several acres of grapes. It was a particularly light mail day, one junk mail letter and a thin flyer from the town hardware store. I checked quickly for traffic, which is practically non-existent on my road this time of day, and crossed the road again. Then, as I was back onto my property again, I saw it. Out of the corner of my eye I caught a dark, low shadow following me. Where it appeared from I don’t know. Perhaps it came out of the grape vineyards when I turned to walk back across the road. I turned my attention to the figure and saw a dog weighing around 65 lbs and standing about 23” at the shoulders. What I would call a medium/large dog, but there was nothing medium about the dog’s head. If this dog wasn’t 100% pit bull, it was 95%. He was very dark, like the color of coffee and very muscular. And the large triangular head was carried high, denoting confidence.

My mind quickly snapped out of its “not a care in the world” attitude as thoughts raced through my head. I was not carrying a handgun that morning. And my OC spray was in the office, under the counter by the telephone charger, where it would do me the least bit of good. I did have my Kershaw Ken Onion Blur in my back pocket, strong side. I slowly switched the mail from my right hand to my weak hand. Oh how I wished I had received the hard copy of Northern Tool’s catalog today instead of earlier in the week, or at least a magazine that could be rolled up. I was looking at the dog and he was looking at me. I slowly lowered my right hand and reached down by my thigh, slapped the side of my leg a couple times and said “Here boy!”

He came over the last few feet, tail wagging, and I scratched the side of his neck. I said, “C’mon” and he followed me back towards the office. I went inside, quickly ditched the mail and got a slip lead and a couple dog biscuits. When I got back outside I called him over to me again and gave him a biscuit as I leashed him up. I led him into a fenced in yard.

So now it’s day two. No collar, no microchip, no missing dog flier at the town grocery store, no report to the shelter they take strays to and me taking care of one of the most well-behaved dogs that I have ever come across. Somebody is missing this boy.
    Attached Images
    azchevy likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Nothing wrong with a well-behaved canine, but be careful...it takes time to know and trust a strange dog.
    Could he become a part of your household? He could make a great 'alarm'.
    oneshot and azchevy like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    ^^^^^I agree with ret.

If you have kids, DO NOT let this dog alone with them for even a second.
    If you eventually plan on keeping him, you will need 2-3 months to evaluate his disposition, and if you have a dog or two, how his interaction is with them.
    Tread carefully.

Blaise Pascal:
    Man is equally incapable of seeing the nothingness from which he emerges and the infinity in which he is engulfed.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I would not let any dog alone with children, no matter how long I had the canine for, but no, I don't have kids.

And he could become a member of my pack, but I know his owner has spent a lot of time with him, so I am hoping I can join them soon. No way would I turn this guy into a shelter, so if worse comes to worse he's staying.

Take your time with him, be careful of stressful situations (small children, lightning storms, fireworks, louse noises, strange people or animals, etc.) with time, if he behaves, trust will grow for both of you. Just remember what Cesar Milan says all the time, "Calm Assertive Energy".
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Looks like a pit bull. That's like playing with fire.

I would make sure that I was armed around him for awhile until you can get to know him better,hopefully his owner shows up,but you may end up with a new buddy
    oneshot likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I would not let any dog alone with children, no matter how long I had the canine for, but no, I don't have kids.
    We're on opposite sides of that one. Every dog I've had has been very protective of my kids , and my grandkids. If anyone messed with them, they would have to go thru the dog first.

When my first was born, my 2 dogs at the time planted themselves right under his crib, and was going to make sure that no one but us touched him.

The Siberian that was my son's and I ended up with, got out one day ... (he was an escape artist) and long story short while we were looking for him got a call from the Police...... he had jumped into the middle of a guy who had stopped and was trying to drag some girl into his car, and kidnap her .... and the Siberian "protected" her and would not let the man take her, hurt her, or be near her. They wanted to give him a "medal" for his actions.

My kids when learning to walk would stand up and put their hand on the back of the dog for support.... the dog would not move, they could pull the dogs ears off and that dog was not moving ..... it didn't want them to fall or get hurt.

But, you have to know the dog and it's reactions to things.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Looks like a pit bull. That's like playing with fire.
    Really? Before I respond any further. Have you owned any pit bulls. And please no stories of this person that I know knew someone that had a friend... I understand that this remark may be made because something may have had happened to you or husban/wife or child. Then I can understand the reasoning for being fearful of the DEED not the BREED. I will now put my flame suit on and lets play nice.

And Eagleks..... My daughter and dog are inseparable. Where ever Kaydence sleeps Roxy is close by. Has been that way since my daughter was born. She pulls at her ears and jowls, uses her as a step stool or just as a pillow. I have never had a problem with any of my personal dogs (mostly pit bulls) or my families dog while growing up.

Again I can uderstand if somthing has happened. I've been bit. My brother has been bit. My mother has been bit (twice). Belive it or not. None of which was a pitty. Not all dogs are friendly I know that. People just have to learn and know not all dog breeds are mans bestfriend, friend. And not like you can choose when a dog any dog will become aggresive. Sorry I don't like these topics. And sorry end of rant. Not thinking just typing
    Last edited by Kroper; April 3rd, 2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Ranting

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    We're on opposite sides of that one.
    Understood. A kid and his dog, what makes a beter story.
    There's just too many stories about the family pet suddenly turning on a child, and no naysayers, not just pit bulls. As a matter of fact, some medium fluffy dog, like part sheepdog or something, just killed a child a few years ago in the city I live by. Family pet for its whole life. I think the dog was eight and maybe so was the kid? Rare incident, but there's enough stories that I would always error on the side of caution. It took a lot of LEOs to hunt the dog down (in the neighborhood) and a lot of bullets to kill it. Weird story for sure. I'm not sure they ever figured out why the dog suddenly spazzed out and lost its mind.
    But yes, 99.9% of the time a kid and his dog are going to be fine, especially an older child.

At any rate, he's just a dog, and a pretty smart and friendly guy at that. Very playful. Time to head back down to the store and check their bulletin board... or I'll be looking for a way to acclimate him into my clan, lol.

Looks alot like my Staffordshire Terrier. Great dogs. Take your time with him in every respect as with any breed that comes into you life unannounced. He could be the best companion you have ever had. Most of that depends on you.
    Kroper likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    We're on opposite sides of that one. Every dog I've had has been very protective of my kids , and my grandkids. If anyone messed with them, they would have to go thru the dog first.

When my first was born, my 2 dogs at the time planted themselves right under his crib, and was going to make sure that no one but us touched him.

The Siberian that was my son's and I ended up with, got out one day ... (he was an escape artist) and long story short while we were looking for him got a call from the Police...... he had jumped into the middle of a guy who had stopped and was trying to drag some girl into his car, and kidnap her .... and the Siberian "protected" her and would not let the man take her, hurt her, or be near her. They wanted to give him a "medal" for his actions.

My kids when learning to walk would stand up and put their hand on the back of the dog for support.... the dog would not move, they could pull the dogs ears off and that dog was not moving ..... it didn't want them to fall or get hurt.

But, you have to know the dog and it's reactions to things.
    Ditto, I remember when I was about 3 or 4 and playing in the front yard, when the family dog (a 30 pound malamute) snapped her chain and took down a cop walking through the woods with his gun drawn. Turns out he was part of a large group looking for an armed criminal, but she just stood on his chest growling until my Dad told her to let him up. As far as she new he was a guy with a gun that got too close to her family. The cop was fine, but wouldn't even get out of his car when he had to come back and get the flashlight he'd lost.

I would've trusted that dog with my life, and the one baby of hers that we kept. Both were excellent dogs, that were extremely tolerant of us small children being all over them. lol. I believe it all comes down to training. A well trained dog knows better than to hurt someone that is part of the family.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I personally would NOT have a dog that I could not "TRUST" leave alone with my children.

I've been working with so called "bad" breeds for 40 years; doing k9, pt and rehabilitation. (The last twenty have been "exclusively" with adopted & rescued "pits".)

One of the "jobs" my pits have is to "protect" my children. (Our kid's rooms are on the opposite end of the house from our BR. So, my male sleeps every night in my 9 yr olds daughter's room; and my female sleeps in my 11yo son's room.)

My male has also protected my son, daughter and wife from yotes and other roaming dogs.

I trust ALL my dogs completely!

If I ever feel I can't trust them with my children's life, they'll go straight to the vet! (But, in 40+ years an DOZENS of dogs in the family, I have NEVER had to take that step!)

In FACT! My experience has shown me that a "pitbull" raised in a "stable" enviroment is ONE of the BEST and SAFEST family dogs you can own!

HOWEVER! Like "guns", a pitbull in the hands of an "UN-stable owner" can be dangerous or even deadly!

But, you can say the same thing for any dog! (Including a Dachsund!)

-

Back in the City, the local humane society spent much of their time on calls for lost/found. What bothered me was people chaining up dogs, and not knowing that the HS was dog central for lost pups. See if there is any place like that near you that helps reunite owners with their dogs...
    Fast is good but accurate is better.

There is, Hiker and it's pathetic. Another dog story:
    Two roaming Bloodhounds, full blooded mind you, showed up on my doorstep last Labor Day weekend. I gathered them up, too, like I do any lost dog that isn't too much work, and called the shelter, just like I did with this pitty. I called everywhere, vets, humane society, shelters, police, you name it. Nope, can't help you was the replies I got. Finally the owners put up a flier at the local grocer... three days later. Within one hour of them posting the flier they came for their dogs. I was checking pretty regular and called them as soon as I saw it. When the wife came back the next day to give me a thank you card I was told that they had called the shelter strays are taken to two hours after I had. Two freakin hours! Nobody put one and one together, let alone two and two. Two Bloodhounds! It still boils my blood, it's not like it's a common breed. You would think it would ring somebody's bell, but that goes hand in hand with me going to the local vet to borrow the scanner, telling them (obviously) about the dogs and asking them if any of their clients had two male, intact Bloodhounds, and being told no. Here the dogs went to that vet for their shots! And I live in a small town, so like I said before, I'm not asking you to recall every customer that owns two Beagles. Sheesh. You can't recall or cross-reference two Bloodhounds?!
    Oh yeah, when the wife came over to thank me she told me that she went to the vet right before me and asked for all her dogs' records. Hopefully that woke them up, but I doubt it.

Chipping is so important, because it surprised me the lack of personalism in the pet care industry today. It's not like it used to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links