Strangers Who Attempt To Flag You Down - Page 3

Strangers Who Attempt To Flag You Down

This is a discussion on Strangers Who Attempt To Flag You Down within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Slight change to the scenario but I think still on target of this thread. Yesterday 3 men were ambushed and 2 shot at, at a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Strangers Who Attempt To Flag You Down

VIP Member
    Slight change to the scenario but I think still on target of this thread.

Yesterday 3 men were ambushed and 2 shot at, at a rural home in our county. They had met a woman with a broken down car and offered to drive her home. She set them up.

The address she had them go to was an abandoned house. When they stopped, 3 other men came out of hiding and started shooting. Two of the good Samaritans were shot, but will be OK; the third was uninjured. The two cars they had been driving were stolen, stripped, and abandoned under a bridge.

Happily, the police have already made arrests.

Just an example of where a good act of kindness toward the wrong person can lead. This was a well planned and well orchestrated ambush, and the bad guys would have killed all three except for chance.

I might stop to help someone depending on apparent circumstances, but I'd be danged cautious about everything I did and what the scene was like.
    mr.stuart likes this.

In Missouri, dialing *55 on your cell phone is direct line to state highway patrol. It is the preferred method for contacting the highway patrol on your cell phone when out on the state roadways.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    In Missouri, dialing *55 on your cell phone is direct line to state highway patrol. It is the preferred method for contacting the highway patrol on your cell phone when out on the state roadways.
    This is a pet peeve of mine. Why cant ALL states standardize on an emergency highway patrol number? Some do *HP, some do *SHP, *FHP, yours does *55. I'd be all for a standard that ALL states would use, that would sure help in this type of scenario.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Slight change to the scenario but I think still on target of this thread.

Yesterday 3 men were ambushed and 2 shot at, at a rural home in our county. They had met a woman with a broken down car and offered to drive her home. She set them up.

The address she had them go to was an abandoned house. When they stopped, 3 other men came out of hiding and started shooting. Two of the good Samaritans were shot, but will be OK; the third was uninjured. The two cars they had been driving were stolen, stripped, and abandoned under a bridge.

Happily, the police have already made arrests.

Just an example of where a good act of kindness toward the wrong person can lead. This was a well planned and well orchestrated ambush, and the bad guys would have killed all three except for chance.

I might stop to help someone depending on apparent circumstances, but I'd be danged cautious about everything I did and what the scene was like.

Good story.If I had to describe the people I mentioned in my OP,in two words,based on their behavior,dress and angry facial expressions,those two words would be 'outstanding warrants'
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    This is a pet peeve of mine. Why cant ALL states standardize on an emergency highway patrol number? Some do *HP, some do *SHP, *FHP, yours does *55. I'd be all for a standard that ALL states would use, that would sure help in this type of scenario.
    Yes, this is a measure that I wish more states would employ. As I said before, my state does have two regional dispatches, but you have to have both numbers (which are their nine-digit local landline numbers), and which one to call from the county you're in.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I don't stop. If they look like they really need help, I call the police.
    +1...I've lived in Miami all my life. Call me jaded or skeptical but I stop for no one, ever. If it looks serious I'll call the police.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Ex Member
    Listen to that little voice in your head. If it doesn't 'feel' right keep on going.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links