On This Day in History, 150 Years Ago, America's Worst War Began - Pics, Link

This is a discussion on On This Day in History, 150 Years Ago, America's Worst War Began - Pics, Link within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 150 years ago today, Fort Sumter was fired upon: Here is a photo of the Fort after the bombardment: Go to this web page for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: On This Day in History, 150 Years Ago, America's Worst War Began - Pics, Link

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

On This Day in History, 150 Years Ago, America's Worst War Began - Pics, Link

150 years ago today, Fort Sumter was fired upon:

Here is a photo of the Fort after the bombardment:

Go to this web page for a short movie about the battle:

First Shot of the Civil War fired at Fort Sumter in Charleston SC

1 out of every 5 white men in the South perished in the war. Yet, the North lost over 100,000 more men killed than the South did.

In the first year after the war, one fourth of the budget of the State of Mississippi went to paying for artificial limbs.

2. Remove Ads

Good Post!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Ahh, the War of Northern Aggression...

http://www.lewrockwell.com/dilorenzo/dilorenzo204.html
    Last edited by miklcolt45; April 12th, 2011 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Add link
    Manzanita likes this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I live in West Virginia, formerly Virginia. We are the only state that was uniquely created out of the Civil War conflict.

45 counties of Virginia voted not to secceede and remained loyal to the Union, becoming the Reformed State of Virginia. There was a quirky law from the 1780's that no state could be carved out of an existing one, but since
    Virginia was no longer a part of the USA, our 45 counties became West Virginia. Lincoln signed the order and on June 20, 1863 we became the 35th state.

Having said that, all of my Civil War military ancestors fought for the Confederacy. They actually considered themselves Virginians and no matter what those 45 counties did, they still went where the majority of Virginia went and that was to the CSA.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; April 13th, 2011 at 07:47 AM.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    A very complex and horrible war. Every man and boy on every side of my family tree fought for the south. They were all dirt poor - it seems that their main motivation was a sense of duty.

The abomination of slavery forever casts a shadow over discussions of our heritage. However, for those closer to those times, they seemed to have a different understanding. My Grandaddy flew the Confederate flag (as well as our national flag) in his yard until his death in 1994. He had great pride in both, and I never saw a trace of racism in him.

VIP Member
    As a young man growing up in the North I was taught in school that the Civil War was a war to end slavery. Now that I'm older I have learned the truth. That slavery was rapidly becoming extinct already. Slavery would have gone away all by itself in a few decades. Slavery was only the "excuse", not the real cause for the war. The real cause was economics and about the State's right to choose, about freedom. In the end the North's victory solidified the Federal Governments power over the States. While I'm glad that the US is a unified country, I'm not so sure that the right side won.

I think the South had it right in that the States should have more freedom to choose.
    bbqgrill and msgt/ret like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

You mean the war of rich southern plantation owners who sent poor southerners off to die for their quest of power..... which in turn was responded to unconstitutionally by a rich northern industry backed administration who also seeked control and power...... yeah that war. I find it ironic that the South claimed the states had a right to choose but made sure they didn't anymore when they wrote their own Constitution.... another war fueled by rich power hungry maggots in which the middle and lower class paid with their lives.

Here is some amateur video of this morning's re-enactment of the attack on Fort Sumter.

Rock and Glock likes this.

Read Shelby Foote's Civil War. A most excellent read. Heroes and brilliant men on both sides. I believe, although subject to attack and dispute obviously, the South had better military tacticians and strategists generally, while the North had industrial capabilities and a larger population. As always though, generalizations often fail, and Sherman and Grant were a pretty good team, and were themselves good military men from what I can tell. Having said that, I never attended West Point or VMI, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn recently. I shall read it again after April 18.

It is a nice time to reflect on the history of this sweeping and vast country and what has been accomplished in the USA, despite this unfortunate event which caused so much pain, devastation and discomfort then and in its' aftermath. It truly illustrates how great this Nation is............These UNITED STATES, by the way...................This REPUBLIC...............It has always irritated the snot outta me that Lincoln, a REPUBLICAN, who emancipated the slaves, got himself shot and allowed the Democrats to co-opt the vote. I blame that moron Johnson..........

Arghhhhhhhhh. All in fun, folks.

Andrew Johnson is not really the villain that some historians make him out to be. He was in favor of preserving the Union. But he was also a strict constitutional constructionist, and was in favor of keeping states rights.

He was also against treating the south too harshly after the war, and that gained him many enemies in Congress.

He was a middle of the road person in a time when folks were choosing one side or the other. Thus, he ended up being attacked from all directions.

When you compare him to Grant's presidency, he looks pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    As a young man growing up in the North I was taught in school that the Civil War was a war to end slavery. Now that I'm older I have learned the truth. That slavery was rapidly becoming extinct already. Slavery would have gone away all by itself in a few decades. Slavery was only the "excuse", not the real cause for the war. The real cause was economics and about the State's right to choose, about freedom. In the end the North's victory solidified the Federal Governments power over the States. While I'm glad that the US is a unified country, I'm not so sure that the right side won.

I think the South had it right in that the States should have more freedom to choose.
    TRUE> The war between the states was'nt about slavery, That was a somthing to blame the war on.
    As a Son Of Confederate Heritage The FLAG is ABOUT HERITAGE (NOT) HATE....... ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    You mean the war of rich southern plantation owners who sent poor southerners off to die for their quest of power..... which in turn was responded to unconstitutionally by a rich northern industry backed administration who also seeked control and power...... yeah that war. I find it ironic that the South claimed the states had a right to choose but made sure they didn't anymore when they wrote their own Constitution.... another war fueled by rich power hungry maggots in which the middle and lower class paid with their lives.
    At the risk of being argumentative, I must take an exception to your position; the South rebelled due to unjust taxation then, only fought after an attempted invasion/occupation. This is essentially same reason our Founding Fathers and so many "poor" Colonist fought the British.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    Two completely different world views. Visit the Capitol grounds in Texas and visit the Capitol in Lansing MI.

If you were a Martian investigating earth and came across the writings on the walls and the monuments at both, you would become a very confused Martian.

Two completely different world views--- still going on. Repeal the 10th, and have "one nation indivisible."

Been there.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Love Civil War history but the date completely slipped by me.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links