Anyone drink Manhattans? - Page 2

Anyone drink Manhattans?

This is a discussion on Anyone drink Manhattans? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sigh, I believe that was the last hard drink I had, June 26th, 2006....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anyone drink Manhattans?

Distinguished Member
    Sigh, I believe that was the last hard drink I had, June 26th, 2006.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Although I'm not a fan of Jim Bean bourbon, Jim Beam does make a rye, and that, with Martini and Rossi red vermouth, bitters, and a twist do in aggregate make a mighty fine Manhattan. Tradition dictates a Maraschino cherry, but I skip that, letting the peel of lemon do the same thing.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Although I'm not a fan of Jim Bean bourbon, Jim Beam does make a rye, and that, with Martini and Rossi red vermouth, bitters, and a twist do in aggregate make a mighty fine Manhattan. Tradition dictates a Maraschino cherry, but I skip that, letting the peel of lemon do the same thing.

Sounds good. I will have to try in near future.

For my money, the Rye whiskeys I prefer are : Jim Beam Rye (80 proof), Rittenhouse (100 proof) and Wild turkey Straight Rye (101 proof)
    When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.

VIP Member
    Any recommendations for a lower priced Bourbon or Rye Whiskey?

I have tried Makers Mark, Jim Beam, Bookers, 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, Evan Williams, Ancient Age, plus a few others.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Used to, but found out waking up on A floor, ANY floor was was not conducive to a very productive life.
    Manhattans work better than Nyquil.

I would stick to Jim for quality/price and overall good mix.
    Evan Williams just doesn't taste very good, and the rest, while you can use them are for the most part pricy, especially the bookers @ almost $60 a bottle around these parts.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

My Dad taught me Old Overholt Rye, Sweet Vermouth, and bitters. He would roll over in his grave if I added a cherry. I do go the "perfect manhatten" route which is to split the vermouth with equal portions of sweet and dry.
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

I never tried a "perfect" Manahattan but maybe I will pick up a bottle of dry vermouth.

How does it compare to just using sweet vermouth?

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The cherries are for keeping count.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Reference the comment that Jack Daniels is sour mash and not bourbon, FWIW...

Tennessee whiskey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tennessee whiskey is Straight Bourbon Whiskey produced in the state of Tennessee.[1][2] This definition is legally established under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which states that Tennessee whiskey is "a straight Bourbon Whiskey authorized to be produced only in the State of Tennessee",[1] and the law of Canada, which states that Tennessee whiskey must be "a straight Bourbon whisky produced in the State of Tennessee".[2] However, two of the three current producers of Tennessee whiskey disclaim references to their products as "Bourbon" and do not label them as such on their product bottlings.
    Just tonight I enjoyed some Henry McKenna, which is labeled "sour mash bourbon."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I do like me some sour mash. It works like the mother and hens for raised breads.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Interesting never had one before. I know what I am having when I go out drinking/ bar hopping/ skirt chasing tonight. I am going out with EMS friends so it will probably tip in the slizzered direction.

Tennessee whiskey is Straight Bourbon Whiskey produced in the state of Tennessee.[1][2] This definition is legally established under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which states that Tennessee whiskey is "a straight Bourbon Whiskey authorized to be produced only in the State of Tennessee",[1] and the law of Canada, which states that Tennessee whiskey must be "a straight Bourbon whisky produced in the State of Tennessee".[2] However, two of the three current producers of Tennessee whiskey disclaim references to their products as "Bourbon" and do not label them as such on their product bottlings.
    Goes to show the accuracy of Wiki......Under US law "bourbon" has to be at least 51% corn, aged in a NEW charred white oak barrel (to be straight bourbon it has to be aged at least 4 years) and can not contain any artificial colors or flavors. The reason Jack Daniels and other "Tennessee Whiskeys" can not be called bourbon (or even reference bourbon on the label) is the "Tennessee Process" involves filtering through sugar maple charcoal and is not permitted under US law to be called bourbon but the basic recipe is the same. Sour mash is simply taking some of the previous batch of fermented mash (the grains) and adding to the new batch being cooked to maintain consistency in flavor.

Bourbon can be produced in any state as long as the 51%, charred oak, no flavoring/coloring rule is observed. The original recipe is 51% corn, rye, malted barley; "wheated" bourbons such as Makers Mark replace the rye with wheat making a sweeter less spicy drink and some experimentation has been done using both rye and wheat and even adding rice for a 5 grain bourbon.

Rye on the other hand uses at least 51% rye with corn and malted barley as the other grains, however there are some 100% rye whiskeys out there where they even use malted rye (malted grain is partially sprouted then roasted and provides enzymes to aid fermentation) and no other grain is added.

Also if you want to really experience bourbon try to find one that is NOT chill filtered; chill filtering is cooling the bourbon to freezing, which caused the fatty acids, esters and proteins to congeal, then the bourbon is run through a wire screen filter to remove them. This is done because at the lower proofs they tend to "cloud" if shipped in cold weather and aren't purdy sitting on the shelf and cloud in the glass when ice is added. Try to find a barrel proof (no water added, straight from the barrel to the bottle) unfiltered bourbon, these will start a tad above 100 proof and my GEORGE T STAGG is 143 proof.

Explain about chill filtration and its effect on whisky - whiskyforeveryone.com
    ICTsnub likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I never tried a "perfect" Manahattan but maybe I will pick up a bottle of dry vermouth.

How does it compare to just using sweet vermouth?
    I think it somehow smooths the drink, but I'm not a sweet liking person... maybe mellow is a better discription... You know I have to go do research to answer you better... What I won't do for a fellow DC!
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

Well the weekend is almost here and I am going to buy some dry vermouth to try.

I have never been into sweet drinks such as rum/coke, daquiris, margaritas, ect. I always drank beer and took shots. I also like scotch (especially Talisker and Laphroig). I never really drank much bourbon but I received a bottle of Makers Mark years ago and have been hooked over since on Old Fashions and Manhattans (both made with Bourbon). IMO these drinks are nice because they have a bit of sweetness but not a bunch of fruity and sweetness like the drinks I mentioned above.

I tried the Perfect Manhattan. As of 1 drink I do not like it nearly as much as a Manhattan with just sweet vermouth. I tasted the dry vermouth by itself and it wasn't bad. I guess I will just finish the bottle or use the dry Vermouth for Martinis. Any other drinks or uses for Dry Vermouth? Maybe cooking?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links