Anyone drink Manhattans? - Page 3

Anyone drink Manhattans?

This is a discussion on Anyone drink Manhattans? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I use dry Vermouth in my clam sauce, it's a handy bottle of screw top wine. I chill my glass with Vermouth and ice, then ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anyone drink Manhattans?

I use dry Vermouth in my clam sauce, it's a handy bottle of screw top wine.

I chill my glass with Vermouth and ice, then dump it all out before pouring chilled, shaken vodka. Try it with Pravda, or Belvedere.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    I use dry Vermouth in my clam sauce, it's a handy bottle of screw top wine.

I chill my glass with Vermouth and ice, then dump it all out before pouring chilled, shaken vodka. Try it with Pravda, or Belvedere.
    So you pour out the Vermouth and ice and pour in the chilled shaken vodka? Are you shaking the vodka with vermouth or are you just drinking chilled shaken vodka in a glass that had vermouth in so you just get a touch of vermouth?

I cook frequently and I never made home made clam sauce. I would love to have your recipe to try if you would be so kind :)

5 parts Crown Royal, 2 parts Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth, 3 mulled cherries, half slice of seedless orange. Shake with ice, strain/pour/drink.
    Repeat as often as you like.

Maker's is my standard bourbon for mixing and it is of course excellent straight as well. In my opinion, it has the perfect balance between quality and price. I'm not a fan of Jim Beam at all however one of their small batch bourbons, Baker's, is amazing. It's 107 proof and aged for 7 years and is incredibly smooth. Its nose is like a hardwood lumber yard on a cool rainy morning.

I do enjoy an occasional Manhattan although I grew up often fixing my grandparent's evening cocktail of Ginger and Whiskey and my Mom's whiskey sour. My grandfather having been of depression era stock, only bought bottom shelf rotgut by the case, heh. I started giving him a bottle of Makers Mark bourbon on special occasions like birthdays. When he eventually passed, I was helping my mom go through the kitchen and I found them all with only one ever having been opened. He had told my mom that they were too expensive to drink and he saved them so I could have them back.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

VIP Member
    Though technically Bourbon can be made anywhere, Kentucky is the only state allowed to put its name on the bottle. And as Kentucky distillers are quick to point out, Bourbon is not Bourbon unless the label says so.

From; What is bourbon?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Sorry you didn't like the perfect. Dry vermouth is basically a white wine with herbs and more alcohol... so it keeps a long time and can be used a lot in cooking... especially sauces.
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

Joe, I like a very dry martini, so yes, I use the vermouth and ice to scent the glass, then dump it. I guess I do it because "martini" sounds better than asking for a triple shot of vodka! Pravda, and Belvedere really are beautiful vodkas.

Kansas isn't known for fine seafood, so I used canned clam meat. No real recipe, I just sauté onions and garlic, then add good diced tomato, salt and pepper. Some vermouth, the clams with the juice, and a squeeze of lemon. I let it cook till it's not too watery. It's not real saucy like a marinara, but has a nice clam flavor.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links