Forced Chemotherapy

This is a discussion on Forced Chemotherapy within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What do y'all think about this mess? http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=51219...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Forced Chemotherapy

  1. #1
    Member Array ShowMeState1977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    134

    Forced Chemotherapy

    What do y'all think about this mess?

    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=51219


    Press the fight!

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,728
    U.S. Constitution, Fourth Amendment: " The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause ..." Invoilable, IMO. Specifically spelled out to indicate what governmental bureaucrats cannot do. A bureaucrat's misguided belief that he/she has the right to usurp one of the most fundamental rights of control a person has is intolerable. The bureaucrats can rot.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  4. #3
    VIP Member
    Array falcon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,484
    And, unfortunately, a judge seems to think that part of the Constitution doesn't apply to him, either.

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,728
    "... no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause ..."
    Probably cause being a bureaucrat's belief that he/she must take control over one's life because one has a terminal condition and all death must be fought ... even against your will. Amazing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  6. #5
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    OTOH, this disease has a very good successful outcome rate (>90%). The parents acknowledge that the herbal voodoo they found on the internet isn't working.

    They are essentially just watching the kid die.

    Not really sure which way I go on this, but I do not see the parents' actions as being rational, much less admirable.

    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  7. #6
    VIP Member
    Array falcon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,484
    On another forum, someone posted that, in his case, his doctors had only given him a 25% or 50% chance of survival--the poster thought 25%. The poster did not, however, give any link to that information, and I haven't seen that figure in any of the links I've seen.

  8. #7
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    I've not seen that. If that is the case, hospice care would make much more sense.

    Chalk one up to the "I read it on the Internet so it must be true" column with respect to the parents' quitting actual medical care to go try the herbal / organic nonsense in Mexico.

    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  9. #8
    Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Commiechusetts
    Posts
    1,631
    Back in the mid-1980s my late Mother was diagnosed with brain cancer and told that post-op the mortality rate was 50% within 6 months.

    We did some experimental chemo, that we were told might improve longevity. I remember my Mother telling me that if she knew what she'd be going thru with the chemo she would have never done it, even knowing what that meant in longevity. She lasted 15 months post-op despite all efforts, with the last six months being semi-comatose.

    On the other hand, I know many that have fought and won against things like breast cancer. Their chemo varied from no bad side effects to some really bad nausea, etc. each treatment.

    I'm all for informed consent and respecting the wishes of the patient if at all possible (lucid, able to make and understand rational decisions, etc.) without "the law" forcing someone to be strapped to a gurney and administered meds against their wishes.

    If the patient is unable to make rational decisions for themselves, then someone must step in to do it, but the courts would be my last choice. The courts' track record for deciding medical treatment has been much less than stellar in the past number of years!

  10. #9
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    From that standpoint, the patient is not able to give consent in a legally binding manner. If there is a strong argument that the parents are not acting in the child's best interests, then there may be a compelling enough reason for the Court to act.

    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  11. #10
    Member Array HighVelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    248
    I would get that boy legally declared an independent adult.

  12. #11
    Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    615
    The "boy" is 16 years old and is in control of his faculties. He's already tried chemo and it did'nt work. Apparently his experience with chemo the last time brought him to the conclusion that he'd rather die than go through it again. I can blame niether him or his parents for their choice. The State has no business meddling in these matters. What's next? Are they going to force all young children to be implanted with GPS microchips because it's for their own good. This is a dangerous precident being set. When the state get's to mandate what medical procedures are done to children despite the childs and parents wishes

  13. #12
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    This is not exactly breaking new legal ground. The precedent is well established.

    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  14. #13
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,877
    This is not exactly breaking new legal ground. The precedent is well established.
    That dosent make it right...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  15. #14
    VIP Member
    Array falcon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,484

    Evidently another judge set aside the order...

    http://www.wsmv.com/health/9574028/detail.html

    Just saw this on WSMV-Nashville's website.

  16. #15
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    That dosent make it right...
    Never claimed it did, Mate

    To me, this is a conundrum of two wrongs. The courts would probably be wrong to take the child. OTOH, the parents are wrong for ignoring proven medical treatment with a high success rate and continuing down some herbal voodoo path they found on the Internet (hey, if it is on the Internet, it must be true and waaaay better than the conventional way...).

    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Forced into car
    By charlie1826 in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: July 6th, 2010, 11:17 PM
  2. Forced to buy it in black
    By fightingchance in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: April 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM
  3. Ret Was Forced to Show His Gun?
    By RETSUPT99 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: June 17th, 2007, 11:28 AM
  4. You Forced Me To Do It
    By dr_cmg in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 16th, 2006, 03:57 PM