Smashed my bleeping thumb!

This is a discussion on Smashed my bleeping thumb! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Caught in the car door at 0630 this morning. That was a first. Had a full cup of hot coffee in ceramic mug. Did not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Smashed my bleeping thumb!

Distinguished Member

Smashed my bleeping thumb!

Caught in the car door at 0630 this morning. That was a first. Had a full cup of hot coffee in ceramic mug. Did not spill a drop. Lessons learned:
    1. Turn lights on in garage when it's pitch black.
    2. Do not carry coffee (or chew gum) with handful of car keys entering vehicle.
    3. I would not make a good POW. Howled like a girly-girl. Even cried. And my wife says I don't show enough emotion. I showed her.

Thumbnail is black. May have to drill it to relieve pressure. Still had to replace ceiling fan on honey-do list today.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Caught in the car door at 0630 this morning. That was a first. Had a full cup of hot coffee in ceramic mug. Did not spill a drop. Lessons learned:
    1. Turn lights on in garage when it's pitch black.
    2. Do not carry coffee (or chew gum) with handful of car keys entering vehicle.
    3. I would not make a good POW. Howled like a girly-girl. Even cried. And my wife says I don't show enough emotion. I showed her.

Thumbnail is black. May have to drill it to relieve pressure. Still had to replace ceiling fan on honey-do list today.
    Sympathies. Been there and done very similar. Usually with a hammer or a desk drawer.

ow. that hurts just hearing about it. I've done it, except with a barbell
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

How exactly does one make a thumb "Bleep"?

Sorry, I had to do it...
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

You woosy,I hit mine with a full swing on a 22 oz. framing hammer,I didn't utter a peep for at least 2 minutes,I think it was shock,even tho I was heavily tanned everyone said I turned really white.why is it when something hurts like hell we hold it between our legs and cry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You woosy,I hit mine with a full swing on a 22 oz. framing hammer,I didn't utter a peep for at least 2 minutes,I think it was shock,even tho I was heavily tanned everyone said I turned really white.why is it when something hurts like hell we hold it between our legs and cry
    That's your mind subliminally telling you that there are parts that you could crush that would hurt even worse! aznav, sorry for your pain, don't worry, it'll hurt worse tomorrow! Hope you heal quickly!
    mkphillips likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Ha! I can beat that. As a teen I crushed part of my left hand and my ring and pinky fingers with a sledge hammer. I didn't make a sound either but every one told me I jumped up and down and ran around in a circle a few times. I don't remember anything but the sight of my hand looking like road kill.

To the OP: Sorry about the pain! The drill thing will really help with the pressure. I'd do it.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

I did that last year to my trigger finger after stopping at the mailbox. Yes, I cried like a little girl. I still had to drive the rest of the way home which was difficult with tears in my eyes. Nail fell off and everything. I'm a wuss with pain. Just ask my wife.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

Let's see.

Big toe meets 20 lb weight. Turned black to my foot, nail fell off.
    Big toe meets recliner foot. Nailed turned black, think I broke it. Had to deliver furniture half a day with it.
    Slammed a finger in the car door a few weeks ago.
    Too many hammer strikes to think about.

I feel your pain. I generally get "son of a" out of my mouth then start yelling before I finish. Yelling makes it feel better. Even the scientists say so.

Why Swearing Helps Ease Pain: Benefits of Curse Words - TIME
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I did the exact same thing when I was 12. I had shut the door so hard that it latched with my thumb stuck in there. My mom brought me to the doctor's where they heated a a steel spike and drilled a hole in the thumb nail. There was so much pressure that the blood flew a few feet in the air. The nail fell off a few months later and a new one grew in its place. Ahh the memories.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

The last time I did something like that it was to slam my thumb in the closing hood of a 1981 Ford Country Squire station wagon. I feel your pain and hope you get it relieved soon!
    Libertas Vel Mors

it's funny, when it's somebody else getting hurt (but not seriously)

Distinguished Member
    I'm just feelin' the love, here. Actually, I confess some chuckles and winces with some of the stories. And yes, Buckeye, I'm a wuss. I gotta good one to go with this. Working one bitter winter pouring concrete walls (yes, pouring in the winter). Everyone, save myself, were ex-cons and mean as mean can be. This usually gregarious white boy was quiet a church mouse. There was one other college kid who was whiter and more religious than me. After the concrete sets up you climb up on the metal forms and knock them away with a big sledge. You have to get a big arc on your swing to knock them loose. Poor Jimmy. He was still fairly new. He takes a monster swing, misses the form completely but gets the side of his ankle and part of the shin. He screams in mortal pain. Reflexively, eight feet high on a ten inch wide platform he starts jumping on one foot. He's jumping, screaming, and crying all at the same time. But not one bad word. Soon, one the the ex cons starts shouting, in tempo with his jumping, "Curse Jimmy, curse!" Sure enough, you got twenty ex cons shouting, at the top of their lungs, "Curse, Jimmy, curse!" I had to turn away so Jimmy wouldn't see me laughing. He never did curse. Didn't last there all that long either.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

I never said you were a wuss, I just wanted to know how a thumb "bleeps."

At least you didn't smash your leg with a sledge, that made me cringe, and laugh at the same time.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I never said you were a wuss, I just wanted to know how a thumb "bleeps."

At least you didn't smash your leg with a sledge, that made me cringe, and laugh at the same time.
    Apologies, Buckeye, it was Duke who said I was a wuss. So my bitterness has been redirected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links