You think he'll make a good watch dog?

This is a discussion on You think he'll make a good watch dog? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; good looking dog. the body make up is all pit. and the markings are rottweiler or doberman. some mix of the two or three. He ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: You think he'll make a good watch dog?

good looking dog. the body make up is all pit. and the markings are rottweiler or doberman. some mix of the two or three. He will bond the family in no time.
    Springfield XD40 Service

2. Remove Ads

You have you a bud for life right there outstanding on the rescue. With the coloring the shape of the ears and the shape of the right paw from what I could see I would not be surprised if there was some dobbie or Rottie in the pup. The vet will be able to tell you a lot.

VIP Member
    Looks like a GSD/Doberman Pinscher.........2.5-3 months old.

A vet will tell you for sure how old and what mix he MOST likely is.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

You think he'll make a good watch dog?
    I think he'll make a good dog period given the love and care I know he'll get from you. Thanks for saving this guy.

VIP Member
    Thanks everyone for your nice comments, it was a pleasure to rescue him. He'll reward us a thousand times over, but that wasn't the reason I rescued him. It was because I felt sorry for him. He'll make a good family member.

I did ease him in the back door today in a room where two of the cats were sleeping. The pup was nervous about going in a new place. The cats woke up and spied him rightaway, it appeared they both instantly turned into stones. A short while later both cats eased toward him in curiosity, one almost smelled him nose to nose. I could see that cat arch her back just a little, and I didn't want to start out on the wrong foot letting the pup get cat-slapped. So, without inciting any ruckus we eased back outside and we'll do that more in the future. I feel better about them accepting him.

You know it's sort of funny, here is a random group of people having concealed weapons in common. The anti-gun people might think we'd be a group that would relish the idea of drawing our "Glock" to shoot a puppy. Actually we cherish life.........our own, our families, innocent people, and innocent animals.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Don't know if the dog is any good as a sentry, but you earned a bunch of points in my book.
    My feelings also.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    ...He'll reward us a thousand times over, but that wasn't the reason I rescued him. ...You know it's sort of funny, here is a random group of people having concealed weapons in common. The anti-gun people might think we'd be a group that would relish the idea of drawing our "Glock" to shoot a puppy. Actually we cherish life.........our own, our families, innocent people, and innocent animals.
    Well said! Never rescue an animal because you THINK it will benefit YOU; do it because it WILL benefit you AND THE ANIMAL. I don't know you personally, but you are definitely a wonderful person in my book; most anyone who is willing to go out of their way to help someone/thing that cannot care for themselves has to be a good person. (Which I don't see very often anymore) Slowly introduce him to the cats, and they will make friends as well (you should see my rescued Pitt- he plays with the cats more than any other dog I've seen).
    TVJ likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

TVJ
    Thanks everyone for your nice comments, it was a pleasure to rescue him. He'll reward us a thousand times over, but that wasn't the reason I rescued him. It was because I felt sorry for him. He'll make a good family member.

I did ease him in the back door today in a room where two of the cats were sleeping. The pup was nervous about going in a new place. The cats woke up and spied him rightaway, it appeared they both instantly turned into stones. A short while later both cats eased toward him in curiosity, one almost smelled him nose to nose. I could see that cat arch her back just a little, and I didn't want to start out on the wrong foot letting the pup get cat-slapped. So, without inciting any ruckus we eased back outside and we'll do that more in the future. I feel better about them accepting him.

You know it's sort of funny, here is a random group of people having concealed weapons in common. The anti-gun people might think we'd be a group that would relish the idea of drawing our "Glock" to shoot a puppy. Actually we cherish life.........our own, our families, innocent people, and innocent animals.

Congratulations.

You are a good man.

Your Doberman mix has intelligent eyes.

You have a very trainable puppy.

This is the best time for you to acclimate. Lay down the law consistently. You can have a loyal and well trained indoor dog or really whatever you want.

You can get pet gates at Petsmart to create boundary's if helpful.

I wonder if he ends up giving you more than youve given him...........
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

The way I got my 2 cats was that I was walking my pretty young puppy and this kitten started following us veeeeeery cautiously. A little ways up the road the second kitten started following the first. They followed about half way back home, until a car drove by and scared them off. So I had to come back for them sans the pup, but I figured if they had followed me that far then they really wanted to be mine. They put in their effort and they deserved to be rewarded for it.

The cats were shy of course, and it took a little teaching with the puppy, but now we have 2 dogs and 2 cats. Cats are harder to control, but mine know I would jump their case if they were unnecessarily causing fights. They're good though. The dogs you have to just make them understand that chasing the cats is NOT allowed. Once you tell the pup no and make him leave the cat alone, give him something else to do because he's simply bored and wants to play. Also a crate when you are away is a good tool. After a while, everyone knows the rules, it's all good.

I wouldn't have one dog outside alone either. They get lonely. When my hubby and I changed job shifts, and started being gone at the same time, we got a second dog to keep the first one company. They do stay out most of the day while we're gone to work, but together instead of alone. Do not ever attempt to raise two puppies at once though. Train the first dog right and bond with it. You can add a second dog later if you want.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

My first thought was Doberman, with something else mixed in..... or Rott with something else mixed in.

Agree, keep him inside. The cats will learn... LOL. It depends upon how much they consider it home and you family, as to whether they will think you are worth protecting.

One I rescued, was all bones and skin, and after 3 mo's you could see the light come on, and decided this was "HOME"..... and wasn't leaving. After that, if either cat is in the bedroom "before" I go in to go to sleep, they are OK...... "after" I go in to go to sleep ... she's determined that nothing and no-one is coming thru that door.

However, my search and rescue dog (not a rescued dog) is actually more alert to anything outside, etc. and/or that isn't right ..... and let's me know even quicker. She considers the whole house and everything in or around it her domain. I've learned .... she's always right too and to never question her.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    The way I got my 2 cats was that I was walking my pretty young puppy and this kitten started following us veeeeeery cautiously. A little ways up the road the second kitten started following the first. They followed about half way back home, until a car drove by and scared them off. So I had to come back for them sans the pup, but I figured if they had followed me that far then they really wanted to be mine. They put in their effort and they deserved to be rewarded for it.

The cats were shy of course, and it took a little teaching with the puppy, but now we have 2 dogs and 2 cats. Cats are harder to control, but mine know I would jump their case if they were unnecessarily causing fights. They're good though. The dogs you have to just make them understand that chasing the cats is NOT allowed. Once you tell the pup no and make him leave the cat alone, give him something else to do because he's simply bored and wants to play. Also a crate when you are away is a good tool. After a while, everyone knows the rules, it's all good.

I wouldn't have one dog outside alone either. They get lonely. When my hubby and I changed job shifts, and started being gone at the same time, we got a second dog to keep the first one company. They do stay out most of the day while we're gone to work, but together instead of alone. Do not ever attempt to raise two puppies at once though. Train the first dog right and bond with it. You can add a second dog later if you want.
    Crates are great. Don't think of it as a prison. Keeps the dog out of trouble and you happy. Our labradane must be crated when we are gone, other wise she would have eaten the house away by now. She knows it's her place and goes there happily when we are getting ready to leave.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; May 2nd, 2011 at 03:37 PM.
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I don't know that you have to keep it outside. If you're worried about the cat vs dog interaction you still have time. It does look like it's not very old which means you could have time to retrain bad habits. Some dogs get along great with cats. The cats are really going to be the determining factor. If the cats don't like it, they don't like it. There's just not much changing that I don't think. But with the dog being young, you could slowly introduce it to the cats in the home...carefully of course. Who knows. They may just get to like each other.

I have a friend that has cats and dogs and the cats actually use the dogs(rotties) as pillows. Some real dog training on the dog will help. If the dog is still thinking it's alpha and is hyper it will set the cats off... Mine won't do well with cats. My rescued pit is too playful. She doesn't go into alpha mode around them, but rather happily tries to take her toys to the cat(my sisters cat in this case)...no joy... The cat just hisses, poofs, and takes swipes at the dogs nose and then it's on like donkey kong.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

You have a best friend for life. You did a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Perhaps you are his watchdog. I have two rescues now.
    I was rescued by three dogs, 5 ducks and 6 chickens.
    And one iguana.
    How knows what will rescue me when I got home any given weekday, My wife and I love animals.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

OD*
    I found this stray puppy in the middle of the woods on Easter weekend. No one around, starving and thirsty. I found some vinegar flavored potato chips and he devoured them on the spot. Brought him some table scraps later, which he inhaled, caught him and brought him home. He's got a big voice and seems very smart.

Next stop, trip to the vet.

BTW, what sort of bloodline mixes do you see in the puppy?
    Good on you amigo, good on you.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links