OMG, a Large Criminal Gang Discovered Right in My Neighborhood!! 9 Arrested! - PIC

This is a discussion on OMG, a Large Criminal Gang Discovered Right in My Neighborhood!! 9 Arrested! - PIC within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I cannot believe this. Several local law enforcement agencies and the State Police made raids in my neighborhood this week, and arrested 6 men and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: OMG, a Large Criminal Gang Discovered Right in My Neighborhood!! 9 Arrested! - PIC

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

OMG, a Large Criminal Gang Discovered Right in My Neighborhood!! 9 Arrested! - PIC

I cannot believe this. Several local law enforcement agencies and the State Police made raids in my neighborhood this week, and arrested 6 men and 3 women as part of an elaborate criminal conspiracy.

It turns out that the gang had committed over 100 counts of identify theft. The 6 men used these stolen identities to take out numerous Oregon Hunting Licences. They then used the illegally obtained hunting licenses and deer tags to take over 300 deer over the past 5 hunting seasons. Oregon State Police said that it was easily the biggest poaching conspiracy in the history of the state.

Here are links to two detailed news reports about this case:

9 arraigned in poaching case | The Springfield men and women enter not guilty pleas for offenses that include racketeering and identity theft

'Largest single case State Police has investigated regarding poaching' | KVAL CBS 13 - News, Weather and Sports - Eugene, OR - Eugene, Oregon | Local & Regional News

A total of 18 hunting rifles were confiscated by the Oregon State Police from the 6 men. In addition, they recovered the antlers of all of the poached Deer. It appears that these families have been eating a great deal of venison these past 5 years.

Here is a photo of all of the rifles and antlers seized by the State Police:

2. Remove Ads

I dont get it. They committed identity theft so they could hunt more? Thats pretty odd. I mean it sounds bad but each only averaged about 10 deer a piece a year. Got to be more to this, they were illegally stealing identitys not to drain accounts but to follow the law and have a state issues license and tags for all their deer instead of just poaching. Weird

Quote Originally Posted by dcfis View Post
    I dont get it. They committed identity theft so they could hunt more? Thats pretty odd. I mean it sounds bad but each only averaged about 10 deer a piece a year. Got to be more to this, they were illegally stealing identitys not to drain accounts but to follow the law and have a state issues license and tags for all their deer instead of just poaching. Weird
    Well, but think of it this way: What if you were one of the hundreds of hunters denied tags, because they instead went illegally to these other guys?

They did pay all of the license and tag fees, however. So in that respect, the state was not being cheated.

Usually people engaged in Illegal poaching do so to get the meat,they then sell the meat on the black market and pocket the proceeds.Last time I hunted Deer in Ks you could get one either sex and 5 antlerless tags,first tag IIRC was 25.00 and each additional was $10.00.Down here in Tx I haven't deer hunted yet,since everybody leases their land and I refuse to pay big bucks to hunt deer meat,I could buy a lotta nice steaks for the price of a deer.But I make friends easy and one of these days somebody will probably ask if I want to get a deer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The didn't actually commit identity theft they way that term is normally used. They were "borrowing" tags from non-hunting family and friends. I didn't even realize this was a crime!
    How many times have I heard stories at work like that?

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Not every "warrant served" is a "raid"...

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    The didn't actually commit identity theft they way that term is normally used. They were "borrowing" tags from non-hunting family and friends. I didn't even realize this was a crime!
    Think of it like this...
    Anything you enjoy doing usually involves government regulations and/or a permit...without Big Brother's "wave of the hand", it's probably going to be considered some sort of crime.
    Hopyard and Xader like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I find it interesting that no charges were filed against the meat processing plant mentioned in the article. When people are bringing that many deer and elk, the people there have to know something funny is going on.

As to the poachers, I hope they get them the maximum sentence allowed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I find it interesting that no charges were filed against the meat processing plant mentioned in the article. When people are bringing that many deer and elk, the people there have to know something funny is going on.

As to the poachers, I hope they get them the maximum sentence allowed.
    In NY the game wardens visit the processing plants frequently... they would probably find something odd about a family that had so many "hunters" bagging deer.

Distinguished Member
    That wasn't a gang. That was my brother-in-law and his relatives.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Think of it like this...
    Anything you enjoy doing usually involves government regulations and/or a permit...without Big Brother's "wave of the hand", it's probably going to be considered some sort of crime.
    So true, and the most intrusive stuff happens at the state and local level. Hunting and fishing license stuff like this. Building codes and zoning codes. Land use codes. We used to have a law that forbid you from buying pots and pans on Sunday morning. It wasn't really a blue law, though it came close. There is no limit to the stupid laws local authorities will come up with.

Everyone almost always focuses on Congress. When it comes to writing bad law, Congress is pretty tame. Its your town councils and state legislatures that get the prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post

Licenses and tags are only good for the person that owns them

People can't legally loan their driver's license to another person. If so, then a family with one car could just have one member of the family get a license, and then loan it out to the others when needed. It is no different here with hunting licenses.

Another analogy would be voter registration. Each separate voter must be registered and vote. One family member cannot do the voting and cast the ballots for all members in their family.

It is very hard to imagine how anyone could not realize that doing that would be wrong and illegal. They would have to be really dumb and lack common sense if that was the case.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Bizarre and creative. Oops!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Usually people engaged in Illegal poaching do so to get the meat,they then sell the meat on the black market and pocket the proceeds.Last time I hunted Deer in Ks you could get one either sex and 5 antlerless tags,first tag IIRC was 25.00 and each additional was $10.00.Down here in Tx I haven't deer hunted yet,since everybody leases their land and I refuse to pay big bucks to hunt deer meat,I could buy a lotta nice steaks for the price of a deer.But I make friends easy and one of these days somebody will probably ask if I want to get a deer
    Heck come deer season you can hunt on our land, no charge. Darn things are thick around here. Less than hundred yards from the house all the time. One big buck was near our pool the other night....ran when I went to gather things out of the car...made me jump.

I've never actively hunted so maybe you could teach me a thing or two. you just provide the deer corn.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    Heck come deer season you can hunt on our land, no charge. Darn things are thick around here. Less than hundred yards from the house all the time. One big buck was near our pool the other night....ran when I went to gather things out of the car...made me jump.

I've never actively hunted so maybe you could teach me a thing or two. you just provide the deer corn.
    Hundred yards? They come right up to the kitchen window here waiting to hop right into the fridge... I have plants planted in boxes around the base of the house and they come right up to the house to munch... Kinda takes the fun out of it though when you don't even have to leave the house...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links