"The Tactical Douchebagnus"

This is a discussion on "The Tactical Douchebagnus" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Came across this on the Internet (Death Valley). Darn if it doesn't sound like a bunch of people I have met: TACTICAL COMMENTARY: You Are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: "The Tactical Douchebagnus"

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar

"The Tactical Douchebagnus"

Came across this on the Internet (Death Valley). Darn if it doesn't sound like a bunch of people I have met:

TACTICAL COMMENTARY: You Are Not a Navy SEAL Sneaking up on Someone, so When You Say

This is a common affliction affecting many people in the tactical community going back as long as I can remember. It is sort of the same thing as guys who carry 148 rounds of ammo and 3 pistols everyday “just in case they have to get it on in on some sort of epic gun-battle at Starbucks where they burn through 5 mags.

2. Remove Ads

Yep, I've learned how to hold my breath for 2 days so they won't hear me breathing when I'm sneaking up on them! Also, you have to control you blinking as they will pick up that sudden movement!
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Normally this would not have stuck in my mind but like 3 days before another guy said he didn’t like one of my knives because it had a stainless blade that “would be too visible in the dark”. He is a blond guy who runs down the roads in Iraq in a 30 truck convoy in huge pick-up trucks with his PMC’s name written down the side. I was like “sure dude, they will never see you coming if you got a blacked-out blade”
    My biggest annoyance is the people who say they won't own stainless guns or knives because they'll reflect light at night.

Pretty sure your muzzle blast is going to be MORE of a give away.
    swiftyjuan and shooterX like this.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    My biggest annoyance is the people who say they won't own stainless guns or knives because they'll reflect light at night.

Pretty sure your muzzle blast is going to be MORE of a give away.
    That's not as bad as the "I don't want night sights, because if the Tango has a buddy behind me, he will see them" crowd.

Oddly, I never once worried about opening some velcro, and it being too loud. If you are sneaking somewhere, there is no need to reload.

And yes, I have done just a patrol or two off the internet.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Velcro is too loud,so are bean farts and they were putting beans in C-Rats before they ever invented velcro
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Run a lighter across the hooks side quickly. Quietens it right down. Could care less about the velcro on my mag holder. It was the velcro on my deer hunting stuff. Deer don't like it.

I don't like black blades because I hand sharpen my knives. Shows too much.

Does that make me Tacti-care-less.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member
    Wetting-my-pants!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i never worry about that stuff, I have blacked out blades because I like blacked out blades. I picked the all black pistol for work because I think it looks stupid to have a sliver or shiny slide on a gun when I am wearing all black or brown because I think it looks tacky in uniform, out of uniform I like the shiny stuff in nice leather. My EDC has shiny laminate wood grips and is silver. I think its pretty so i bought it. My duty gear is nylon not shiny black because I am more comfy in nylon. I know a few guys who worked with me who had to have all the new tacticool gear. One of my supervisors at Blue Line had his LT bars and supervisor name tape sewn onto his uniform so the shine of the rank wouldn't tell em where his collar was. Dosen't help much if you have shiny silver buttons and a shiny silver badge on your uniform dude. If its what you like get it, if not don't get it. Don't try to rationalize it with its more tactically sound in a situation. Get the gear you like, don't try to be a ninja. Sheesh, it gets annoying when people act like spec ops ninjas.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

That page is full of awesome!
    shooterX likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Both my handguns are black, so are my holsters. Not to sound like a Mall Ninja, but I do believe that the flat black coloring is just a little more beneficial to the way I dress. Also, if I DO have to draw my weapon at night, in a parking lot, I would much rather it not pick up stray lights as I'm drawing. I want my "get back" and my muzzle flash to be the only real indication that I am armed.

I do not dislike shiny guns. I would love to get a nice, stainless 1911. But, they are expensive, and my black weapons were less expensive than the shiny/two tone versions.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

JD
    Administrator
    I don't like velcro just because it always gets caked up with crap.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Both my handguns are black, so are my holsters. Not to sound like a Mall Ninja, but I do believe that the flat black coloring is just a little more beneficial to the way I dress. Also, if I DO have to draw my weapon at night, in a parking lot, I would much rather it not pick up stray lights as I'm drawing. I want my "get back" and my muzzle flash to be the only real indication that I am armed.

I do not dislike shiny guns. I would love to get a nice, stainless 1911. But, they are expensive, and my black weapons were less expensive than the shiny/two tone versions.
    I remember back in the 80's a huge debate about the "shiny" stainless vs. "non-reflective" blued guns (well revolvers).

I distinctly remember the results of a study but not the author (it WAS the 80's). The gist of it was that a blued handgun actually reflects more light than a comparable stainless gun.

Of course, this was when blued meant polished and stainless was becoming matte.

It all boils down to personal preference. The newer "black" finishes protect as well as stainless and blackened stainless is available if that's what you like. I just hate cleaning traditional blued firearms because I worry about marring the finish, but I wipe down the few blued guns I do have with a silicon cloth (OK the stainless too). YMMV
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I don't like velcro just because it always gets caked up with crap.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.
    Gosh, JD, I knew Marines were tough, but I never imagined they were so tough that they could confuse velcro with Charmin!
    Lewis128 and WHEC724 like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Ok maybe its me but if I was those guys, being obvious with load helicopters and trucks I would want the flashiest thing I could get. Be like dam look at me I’m on a copper/ truck/ boat ect.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Gosh, JD, I knew Marines were tough, but I never imagined they were so tough that they could confuse velcro with Charmin!
    Just don't ask what I had to use to wet my sponge when I needed to solder something "in country"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links