Sooo, It's been 14 years since I had a moving violation...

This is a discussion on Sooo, It's been 14 years since I had a moving violation... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yeah, it's certainly been my week. Got not one, but two violations in 20 hours. "Running red lights" and caught by the camera. What frosts ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sooo, It's been 14 years since I had a moving violation...

Distinguished Member

Yeah, it's certainly been my week. Got not one, but two violations in 20 hours. "Running red lights" and caught by the camera. What frosts me is that I know where every camera on the east side of Tucson is. And (karma, here) I have more than once laughed to myself when some bozo cruises through the intersection two seconds after the light is red and "poof!" flashes the camera. Got the first ticket Friday. What happened was I was maybe a hundred feet in front of the light when it turned yellow. I think I have most of my earthly possessions on the passenger seats. I could have stopped and redone my file system. BUT, I felt sure I could get through there before it went red. According to the rules if you are in the intersection, past these imaginary lines, when it turns red, you are ok. I was clearly through them when the light turned red so planned to take this one to court. Especially when I got another flash twenty hours later two miles away.
    Well..., sure enough, I did not get a ticket for running the light. I got a ticket for speeding! I was already seven miles an hour over the speed limit and, to make it through the light, stomped on the accelerator. So, pick your poison? Run the red light and get a ticket. Or make it through the red light but get a ticket for going 14 over. Stay tuned for the second ticket coming to a mailbox near me. The two tickets would have purchased a very nice semiauto. I'm waiting to see if the wife will make me sell one to pay the tickets. It ain't in the budget. Sigh.

ps. you should see my picture. I think you can actually see the white on my knuckles and the "deer in the headlight" look when the camera flashed.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Sorry about your troubles. I used to write tickets for red lights, but there was no doubt on them. I myself, do not like the automated camera ticket system. If you watch any of them, the yellow is very, very short. They have increased the number of accidents due to people slamming on their breaks to avoid the tickets. In my opinion they are a bad idea, but they don't listen to me.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Well, KNOCK ON WOOD, I got you beat!

My last violation was in 1972. Not even a parking ticket.

NOT that I didn't deseve one or two, just was in the right places at the right times. LOL

Now watch, I'll be re-addressing these pages in less than a week.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    Well, KNOCK ON WOOD, I got you beat!

My last violation was in 1972. Not even a parking ticket.

NOT that I didn't deseve one or two, just was in the right places at the right times. LOL

Now watch, I'll be re-addressing these pages in less than a week.
    And I want to be the first, along with Bill Clinton, to feel your pain.

ps. tell me you're not the guy in the passing lane going 3 miles an hour under the speed limit in parallel with the car in the right land, also going 3 under.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Here, the red light cameras are not a moving violation.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I myself, do not like the automated camera ticket system. If you watch any of them, the yellow is very, very short. They have increased the number of accidents due to people slamming on their breaks to avoid the tickets. In my opinion they are a bad idea, but they don't listen to me.
    Agreed. And there is the legal issue - who is your accuser (who you have a right to confront in court), when the accuser is a machine? To get around this, the fines are usually a civil matter, not a criminal one. Still bogus.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Agreed. And there is the legal issue - who is your accuser (who you have a right to confront in court), when the accuser is a machine? To get around this, the fines are usually a civil matter, not a criminal one. Still bogus.
    When they had the cameras in the city over they were civil and did not go on your record, the voters voted for their removal and they were gone.

I have not had a violation in ten years although iv deserved more than one. I was in an accident the other and clearly my fault and the officer said I obviously had a clean record and do not get into trouble (had to notify since I was armed so he seen my chl) so he did not feel it necessary to change it, so I got off free other than the $1000 or so in damage to my car (liability insurance only).

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

You should be aware that at least here in AZ, what started out as a legitimate safety concern (AZ led the nation in red-light runners... who I swear are mainly people relocated from NY and MA) after a few years morphed into a revenue stream. Up here in Maricopa County, a number of towns (Scottsdale and Tempe, IIRC) adjusted the durations on their yellow lights as a revenue-enhancement measure. I wouldn't be surprised if you got nailed as a result of similar actions in Tucson.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Here in North Carolina they have been a major revenue source until the state Supreme Court ruled that the fines must go to the school system, another cash cow lost so they have been removing the cameras and yes the rear-end type of accidents increased subsequent to camera installation.

North Carolina: Another City Dumps Red Light Cameras
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    Policing for profit is not a good idea at all. I'd be very tempted to tell them to pound salt.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You do have the option to make them serve you. Legally they have to physically give you the ticket. I know several people that just ignored it and were never served. I don't know that many cities here have the resources to serve every ticket in the time constraints. At first I thought it a little shady. Now I just figure its using the full letter of the law to my advantage. If they do serve you worry about it at that point but until they do I would ignore all written correspondence.

Distinguished Member
    Got the second one today. Sigh. Not running the red light again but speeding. this time it says "approximately 11-15 mph over speed limit". What the heck does that mean?? Oh, I will try and upload my picture. As mad as I was, I burst out laughing. I have this "gotcha!" look on my face.

Senior Moderator
    Depending on the law in your particular jurisdiction, you might have a shot at beating both photo tickets by filing requesting that the court issue a summons for each and every person in the chain of custody of the images.

Many jurisdictions contract these camera operations out to private firms. If they have to pay to bring the person who processed the picture in East Nowhere, NJ to court, they might well just drop it. The profit motive works both ways....

Not every jurisdiction will permit this, particularly if they've taken the "civil infraction" route. But it worked several years ago for a buddy of mine.

Also, some jurisdictions add on ridiculous court costs if you elect to exercise your right to a hearing and lose. Another pitfall to consider.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Got the second one today. Sigh. Not running the red light again but speeding. this time it says "approximately 11-15 mph over speed limit". What the heck does that mean?? Oh, I will try and upload my picture. As mad as I was, I burst out laughing. I have this "gotcha!" look on my face.
    heh..yeah I have issues with all of it, but especially that approximate garbage. Approximate means they don't know the actual speed. If they don't know the actual speed how then can they say you're speeding?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member
    Rifling through old threads and found this. The long and short: I studied the online "rules of engagement" for red-light running in AZ. Holding my breath, I decided to fight it. Got to court and a very overworked cop went through the nine reasons I needed to pay the fine and forget court. He was, in all truth, correct. However, I found a glitch with the online directions and wanted to plead on that.

It went like this: the online instructions said if the camera goes off in an intersection, it is ONLY for running a red light. If a camera goes off on a street, it is ONLY for speeding through a school zone. You only have two choices. So, finally, the cop let's me talk to the judge, who, by the grace of God, was very understanding. I watched her with two genuinely sincere bad luck cases (one drove handicap people all over town in a bus. Was my age and never had one ticket). To stop meant the risk of rolling chairs coming forward. Anyway, I explained that to select either of those online choice meant that a) I ran a red-light or b) I sped through a school zone. BOTH of those choices meant monster increases in my car insurance. The deal is that the online instructions were FOUR YEARS OLD! They had never been updated to include the new "speeding through a red light". So she says, "Well, Mr. Aznav, what would you like me to do?" "Well, for openers, would you marry me?" No, no, sorry, wrong thought. I asked a) I'd like traffic school for one ticket and b) a reduced fine for the second ticket. She says, "Deal! How does 1-10 over the speed limit sound and a hundred buck fine?" Sweetness and light! That ticket goes away in just three months, no points. The class has no points. You can bet your sweet gluteus maximus that I don't speed through intersections to beat the light any more. End of story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links