A newborn daughter and a good dog

This is a discussion on A newborn daughter and a good dog within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My daughter Evangeline was born Thursday, April 28 and we just got home from the hospital yesterday. I had been wondering how my relatively new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A newborn daughter and a good dog

My daughter Evangeline was born Thursday, April 28 and we just got home from the hospital yesterday.
    I had been wondering how my relatively new dog Bo, a nine month old lab, was going to act with the baby around.
    Labs are the best, let me tell you, we came home from the hospital and his demeanor immediately changed when he saw and sniffed the baby.
    He is extremely careful when we allow him near her( to sniff her and get to know her).
    He will approach her slowly and stop until i hold her out a bit and allow him to come closer.
    Now I know that no one will get near her without my permission.
    My father was over to see the new baby and he approached my wife and the baby while they where breastfeeding (under a blanket).
    Well, Bo began growling and let out a bark like i have never heard him bark before.
    I caught him and my father backed off a bit until i could put him outside but i did not fuss at him.
    After hearing him and seeing his immediate change in demeanor i know that dog is gonna keep her safe.
    I'm looking forward to Evie growing up with Bo because he's already her dog.
    pinklady, JoJoGunn and Kerby like this.

Yep, man's best friend...who will always have your back.

Congrats on the new daughter, by the way.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Congrats! Enjoy, she will be grown before you know it! She will hopefully have 10+ years with Bo, she will never forget him.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Congrats from a fellow bubblehead, and Bo sounds like a great dog.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I have a very close friend named Evie, I think thats a beautiful name. Congrats on the dog stepping into his role, and congrats on bringing Mom and daughter home
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Congratulations. Labs make for great siblings. My son learned to stand by pulling up on our lab. In fact, her name was his first word.

Congradulations on the new daughter.

Brings back some memories. When my son was born we were living temporarily with my parents. They had a Husky-Shepherd mix who was the sweetest and most gentle natured dog. We brought my son home from the hospital and my mom was worried that Missy (the dog) would be jealous and wanted to keep her away from the baby

I said no, let her see him. As my wife laid him in a bassinet, Missy got up on two legs and looked in to see the new thing. She was shaking with exictement. Later my wife was holding my son while sitting on the couch. Missy suddenly came up, stuck her cold nose on the back of his head and then licked him three times. My mom freaked but my son never flinched.

After that, Missy got really protective. She would go out on the front porch to growl and bare her teeth at anything or anyone who approached. That was almost 27 years ago and Missy is long gone, but dogs can be great companions of children.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Congrats on the birth of your baby daughter and a very smart dog. Sounds like Bo will be very protective of her.

Good deal! Happy for you, sounds like a good dog. People who do not have and love dogs do not understand how devoted they can be and how much they can put you at ease just because they are there.

GM
    Congrats on the baby daughter! I am sure that Evie and Bo will become best friends
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

There's nothing like a young un and a dog that grows up together. May you and yours have fond memories of them together!!!

You are a man twice blessed. Cherish this time and take many photos. Years pass all too quickly. Voice of experience here.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Ex Member
    A LOT of dogs 'adopt' very young children. Don't know why, must be something with the 'pack' sense they have. When friends bring their young kids over my dogs follow them around like they were their pups.

Congrats on both. Hold 'em close.

On our first kid, the 2 dogs I had at the time both planted themselves under the crib and didn't even like us messing with the baby, although tolerated it ................. I'm guessing because we still had control of the food....

Congrats, start saving all of the money you can, you'll need it with a daughter.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links