Sprinklers and garden hose dumb questions.

This is a discussion on Sprinklers and garden hose dumb questions. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have had lawn problems and I don't want to really get into all those details. I recently aerated my lawn and overseeded it with ...

Thread: Sprinklers and garden hose dumb questions.

I have had lawn problems and I don't want to really get into all those details. I recently aerated my lawn and overseeded it with more Bermuda Grass seed.
    I have been using my Garden hose twice a day for 10 minutes to keep it wet and moist. Well I though that maybe it was time to get a few new spinklers to make my life easier. I bought several pulsating stake type sprinklers so I can just turn them on and off. They don't shoot as far as expected. When I hook up more than one in a row it seems to have even a weaker stream. I have two water hook ups so as of now I am only running two sprinklers that I have to move a few times to cover my entire lawn.

This is actually more work than if I just sprayed my lawn with my garden hose and it may actually cost more money.

Here are the dumb questions:

1) How much water do these typically use per minute?
    2) If typically turn my water off at the spout when I am done with the hose. Any thing wrong with leaving it turned on all the time (as long as there is not leaks)?

Seems questions best referred to those in the know at your local plant nursery or garden center. I could tell you what I do but you probably don't want your lawn to look like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Seems questions best referred to those in the know at your local plant nursery or garden center. I could tell you what I do but you probably don't want your lawn to look like mine.
    My local garden centers do not have many knowledgeable people unfortunately.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Your sprinklers should give you a diameter of spread. You can use this to determine how close to place your heads. You will want this diameter to slightly overlap. Your sprinklers should have a gpm or gph rating of some sort to let you know how much water each one uses. If your water pressure from a single line isn't great enough to power multiple sprinklers, they won't achieve the rated diameter. Think about using a power nozzle on your hose with a leak in your hose down the line. You are going to lose pressure. Are these cheap sprinkler heads, or a quality name brand? How big is your lawn? Typically, it is going to take several sprinklers to cover an average-sized lawn (lets say, 1/2 acre lot). Obviously, this will depend on the sprinkler head that is used, as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, DON'T leave your hose on. Even if you have a commercial grade hose with commercial grade connectors and valves, I wouldn't trust it to not fail.

VIP Member
    Don't really know how to answer your question but you may be able to find some answers here. Rain Bird Sprinklers and Irrigation Systems for Homeowners
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

pjw
    You should not leave your hose and sprinklers hooked to the hose bib. This causes a cross connection and you could potentially contaminate your water system. If you decide to leave them hooked up, please have a vacuum breaker installed on the hose bib. If there was a water break or anything else to cause back siphonage on your system you can suck up any of the water sitting in your yard that could have fertilizer or other unwanted stuff in your drinking water.
    I know the likely hood of this happening is slim, but you may not know it happened until its to late.

To water my lawn effectively I let mother nature do the work....theres a lot of green grass under the water faucet,the rest of the yard looks like a herd of locusts went thru.I think were in a drought
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Check on the watering in your area. Here, they recommend 30 minutes ( to allow it to soak to some ) every 2 days for 4-6 weeks. Then after that 2 x's a week until the hot season.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I can help if you need it but it's more then I care to type. Pm me your phone # and best contact time and I will call you tomorrow when I get to work, where I sell sprinkler systems.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I don't water my yard so I can't answer your question, but there is hope at least. Once you get your Bermuda grass established, you shouldn't have any more problems. It spreads like a weed and is impossible to kill. Ok, well the dogs HAVE managed to wear a path between the front porch and the back porch.....but in spring 2009 I burned brush from a big tree in 3 different places and never watered even in the dry season and by fall you couldn't tell where I had burned. I also raised up 60 chickens last spring and supposedly you can't keep grass and chickens at the same time, but tell that to my yard(that needs mowing right now). Good stuff in your yard. If it wasn't for Bermuda grass believe me, I wouldn't have grass, simply because I don't put out much effort into my lawn.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Well here in Ohio its been raining for the past few weeks straight... So I think we're good. lol
    Walther PK380 - SIG Sauer P238 - Glock 19

A lot of the sprinklers have adjustable throw

Sponsored Links