DIY Spray on bedliners

DIY Spray on bedliners

This is a discussion on DIY Spray on bedliners within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does anyone have experience with the Do-it-yourself spray-on bedliners? They actually go on with a roller and a brush so I guess they are more ...

Thread: DIY Spray on bedliners

DIY Spray on bedliners

Does anyone have experience with the Do-it-yourself spray-on bedliners? They actually go on with a roller and a brush so I guess they are more of Roll On bedliners. I have a 2000 Cheverolet pickup that I am thinking about using this on. I would get it professionally done but the truck has almost 165K miles so I don't want to put that much money into it. I want to do something though because the bed is in kind of rough shape and the rest of the truck is in good condition. I also plan to do the tops of the bed since I had aluminum "bed rail protectors" that rubbed holes in the paint.

The kits cost about $80 and the last price I heard for a spray-in liner (Line-X, Rhino Lining, etc) is around $300.00. Are any brands considered better or worse than the others? I know Dupli-color has one out now and Herculiner has been out for years.

FYI I will be using the black liner. I don't plan to try to match the body color of the truck.

Not first hand experience, but for what it is worth friends have told me that the key is in the prep work.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I sold a lot of these kits when I worked at AutoZone, and also when I worked Retail at PepBoys. Depending on your bed-size, you will need more than what comes with the kit- if you read the instructions, one of those cans is supposed to cover something like 8 square feet. I've had customers tell me about their results, and it really is all about your prep work. Clean the bed as best you can (I recommend a pressure washer if the bed isn't already too damaged, or one of those DIY car washes with the pressure wands) Also, you might want to think about doing more than one coat (I think the instructions even recommend it). The roll on bedliners are ok, but depending on your amount of free time, and your body-work skills, it might be better to just go for the Rhino-Lining.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Myself, I would get Rhino-Liner, they do the prep work, and install it. Total cost around $300. By the time you do the prep work yourself, and put a couple coats of the DIY brand, you've almost spent the $300.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Myself, I would get Rhino-Liner, they do the prep work, and install it. Total cost around $300. By the time you do the prep work yourself, and put a couple coats of the DIY brand, you've almost spent the $300.
    Exactly.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Administrator
    I've done two vehicles with Hercliner, heres my thoughts;

I'd agree with the others about the Rhino if your truck was newer and had more life left. But, chances are, you'll only be driving that truck for a few more years. If you were more worried about resale or planned on driving that truck for another 10 years, the Rhino is the way to go. I'd also think you'd be able to find a better deal on the stuff if you shopped online. I also have to point out that Rhino Liner was a lot more expensive back when I did my own. Today, it cost half what it did 10 years ago.

Back in 01 or so, I did my little Ranger with Herculiner. I bought the full size truck kit and only had a little left over. I don't think it would be near enough for an actual full sized truck. The key is prep, and its a pain in the rear. My Ranger was relatively clean, it was only a year or so old and I just used to for back and forth to work and light household trips to the hardware store. I still power washed the heck out of the bed and wiped it down with acetone to remove any oil. Then, the clear coat had to be roughed up. (sanding) Ugh. Then another wash and wipe down with the acetone to remove any dust. Stuff had to be masked off, like drain holes and the bolts holding the bed onto the frame. I also went over the bed rails, so I used masking tape to ensure straight lines there too. Then came the paint. You have to mix the paint and bonding agent, then mix in the rubber granule stuff. Not a big deal, but once you mix it, there is no turning back. You have to finish it and work quickly. Its thick, and its no where near like painting a wall in your house. It takes some time and effort to spread the stuff out evenly. I did two coats of the stuff.

It held up well, (continued light duty use) but I only had the truck for another year or so before I sold it. I sold it to a friend who owns a heavy equipment/diesel repair shop. He uses the truck as a parts gopher and light service calls. As you can imagine, the truck is beat on now. I actually feel sorry for the truck, as it was used to an easy life with me. I do see the truck every once in a while, and I always check out the bed liner. It surprisingly has held up well considering it has engines and other larger, heavy items beating on it everyday. It has a few deep gouges down to the metal in it, but considering what has happened to the truck in the last 7 or 8 years and the investment of time and money into the bed liner, I'd say its a good product.

The other vehicle was a Jeep hunting rig I help another friend put together. We did the entire interior in that stuff. Its held up well, but it really doesn't get beat on much. It just gets dirty and hosed out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsored Links