Attending Muslim Chlid's Funeral...need guidance - Page 2

Attending Muslim Chlid's Funeral...need guidance

This is a discussion on Attending Muslim Chlid's Funeral...need guidance within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Thanks all. Torgo's opinion most closely mirrors ours... this isn't for us, or even the dead child or to make any sort of statement about ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Attending Muslim Chlid's Funeral...need guidance

Thanks all. Torgo's opinion most closely mirrors ours... this isn't for us, or even the dead child or to make any sort of statement about how we feel about Islam or our own religions - It's a show of support for her parents. I don't speak for or make decisions for my girlfriend, so the scarf thing is her choice and she chooses to wear one. Yes, I'd absolutely be asking if this was a Jewish or any other faith with which I am not familiar with the customs. Is it offensive to wear or not wear a yarmulke? I dunno, but I'd certainly do whatever I felt the parents would most appreciate.

I don't have a pastor and the info I've gotten about what she should wear came right from the Islamic Center, but there was a bit of a language barrier and I thought it might be easy enough to get the answers here. Not sure yet what I'll do if my girlfriend needs consoling..I'll probably hug if she could use one. I'm sure if the rest was a big deal, they would have said so..they seem prepared for visitors in that they even have headscarves to loan for those that don't have them...I just thought we'd go the extra mile if it would help the parents even the tiniest bit and cost us nothing. Besides...since when is a little inter-faith goodwill gesture a bad thing?
    Chad Rogers likes this.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Moderator
    Let your concious be your guide.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Take your shoes off immediately upon walking in the center and do not walk in front of anyone that might be praying.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Thanks all. Torgo's opinion most closely mirrors ours... this isn't for us, or even the dead child or to make any sort of statement about how we feel about Islam or our own religions - It's a show of support for her parents. I don't speak for or make decisions for my girlfriend, so the scarf thing is her choice and she chooses to wear one. Yes, I'd absolutely be asking if this was a Jewish or any other faith with which I am not familiar with the customs. Is it offensive to wear or not wear a yarmulke? I dunno, but I'd certainly do whatever I felt the parents would most appreciate.
    I think your comments are most cogent.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Is it offensive to wear or not wear a yarmulke? I dunno,
    I can shed some light on this one. I have been to a couple of Jewish weddings (never a funeral though), and the yarmulke was provided to those men that didn't have one. It never hurts to respect the beliefs of others, especially when you are visiting "their house".

I have been to a Buddhist funeral, but I was to young to remember much about it.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Update for anyone interested or curious about the experience:

I had it wrong..it wasn't a "funeral" but rather a 7th day commemoration service. The funeral and burial was done, in accordance with the requirements of the Muslim faith, the day after the little girl died.

My girlfriend wore her hijab/headscarf, and men and women were indeed sitting separately. We didn't have to take our shoes off, but we were in more of a seminar hall...the prayer room was down the hall and had rack for shoes just outside. It was far more casual feeling than I expected..started with some arabic stuff I didn't understand (songy prayer?) and some family members spoke in english about the girl. Then a service by the Imam that felt much like what I'd expect from any Christian clergy...good speech that spoke of the temporariness of this life and told a story from the quran. There was a very large crowd, and people would come and go while the services were happening in a manner that I would have considered rude at my Daughter's service. There was a table with water, coffee and some kind of dessert-looking stuff and people would take stuff back to their seats with them. The family of the girl sat at tables at the front, facing the crowd. (also separate table for men/women)

That's about all I remember...except for some water-pitchers that looked like flower watering pitchers above the urinals in the bathroom, and stall doors that go all the way to the floor and a little place to pray and do something called the "Wudo" or cleansing, also inside the bathroom.

Thanks all for the input.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links