Anyone have a blue heeler? - Page 2

Anyone have a blue heeler?

This is a discussion on Anyone have a blue heeler? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What you should look at with your description is an Australian Shepherd....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Anyone have a blue heeler?

What you should look at with your description is an Australian Shepherd.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    A past neighbor had two that were entirely too obnoxious. They barked constantly, and were super high energy dogs that were total PITA's. I wouldn't have one to kick. And yes, I have had a large variety of dogs and am fairly certain I know many breeds well.

They are working dogs that need to work. I would not have one unless I had at least 20 acres and some animals to herd.

Brittany's can be very high energy dogs too. Crack heads.

Good luck to ya'll.
    Love my cattle dog, my fence joins a neighbor who has several poorly trained dogs, they will rush the fence barking at my dog he just ignores them. That said he gets fully alert if someone even enters my unfenced front yard. He does need work, attention and play but that is in part what makes him awesome.
    Last edited by bbqgrill; December 4th, 2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: fance = fence
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

bbqgrill:

No doubt they can be great dogs with an experienced owner in the right circumstances such as yours. Alas, that is often not the case, hence my comments. They are very demanding working dogs.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    bbqgrill:

No doubt they can be great dogs with an experienced owner in the right circumstances such as yours. Alas, that is often not the case, hence my comments. They are very demanding working dogs.
    No problem, just offering a comparison; dogs are somewhat like kids when it comes to behavior. Though, the breed is a handful, you have to know what you are getting into with the cattle dog.

Chas
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

ETA

your answer

I am a firearms instructer and farmer. I have several Blue Heelers and they need every bit of my 80 acres to run and play on. They are VERY protective of the family they are raised with...listed in the top ten most intelligent dogs on the planet. All mine are afraid of gunfire and will try to bury a gun left on the couch or bed. You should raise them form pups so they bond with you and your family. They need full time attention though they will stay home alone if told. I fell deeply in love with this breed and my dogs whom I consider family. No stranger comes onto my farm without them raising the alarm. Please know they will be loyal and give up their life in your defense without hesitation. I learned this when five dogs, a killing pack, came onto my farm. I was armed and told my pup to get em. He charged into the pack and disappeared in a brawl of dust and five fighting dogs all twice his size. He would have died if I had not been there to come to his defense, guns blazing. He has the heart of a lion yet curls on my lap like a lamb. Any stranger coming close will get nipped in the heel as a warning then, he will raise the alarm til called off. One of the best breeds on earth as far as I am concerned. I have raised Great Pyrenees and was raised with German Shepherds but highly recommend the Heeler if you have the time and space to care for them with your love and attention. The rewards never end with this breed. You can sleep well if you have Heelers on the watch. Mine don't like guns while guns are one of the loves of my life. I respect their dislike or fear of guns and am not sure if they can be gun-trained...it may be possible.

Couldn't agree more with ETA. Have a 3 legged blue healer. (adopted her that way) Super loyal and protective. Does NOT like loud noises though.

Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    i had a red healer and had to get rid of her. she needed a lot of supervision and our house was too small for her. she was constantly biting my wife and my heels. chewed on everything and was very head strong. just not my kind of dog. i have a German shepherd now for the past 4 years and i can only complain about his shedding.
    She was herding you. Thats how they control cattle, by biting or nipping them on the back of the legs or heels.

Michael
    Eaglebeak likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My future son in law raises cattle and has several. Great dogs but they are working dogs and I would not consider them suitable for house pets. I have two Border Collies, best dogs I ever had but they need to be kept active and training. And yes they do try to herd me!
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I had one.

Yeah so my parents thought it would be a great idea to get a blue heeler for our family. He was not even 1 when he started biting people. He got SUPER aggressive and bit me and three of my younger brothers. He was so crazy that even my dad could not clip his nails. He scratched his arm up so bad we almost had to go the ER. He was put down last week. He attacked my brother from behind. We knew that was it. He ripped his jacket real good. Do NOT EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER get one of these dogs if you have young kids. You also need to do your homework.

Heelers are super high energy and need a job to do.
    I'm a bit lazy for all that energy myself, and I'm obligated to be at work or asleep an awful lot of the day. My Lab is a bit much energy for me, but at least he is content with a round of fetch. I wouldn't get a heeler unless you have cattle to herd - it's in their nature and seems almost cruel to punish them for herding/nipping the people because they don't have any other outlet for their instincts.
    If I were gonna buy a dog, I'd look into Mountain Currs. My grandpa used to raise them and they are every bit as smart and tenacious (will take on a bear or wild hog and not back down) as you would want, but they are a bit more easygoing when not on the job. They don't mind staying inside or in a yard/kennel for a while while you're at work, and they're good with family/kids. I loved them growing up, and now that I know more about dogs I still love them. They are hunting dogs and enjoy to work, but my grandpa's last two made fine pets/burgular alarms since he was too old to hunt. The last one and my childhood friend passed away about 2 years ago - he was 12ish
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Please know they will be loyal and give up their life in your defense without hesitation. I learned this when five dogs, a killing pack, came onto my farm. I was armed and told my pup to get em. He charged into the pack and disappeared in a brawl of dust and five fighting dogs all twice his size. He would have died if I had not been there to come to his defense, guns blazing.
    Well if they are as intelligent as everyone says sounds to me like "your pup" needs to learn about fragging.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

RAL
    Tired dogs, tired kids, and a tired husband are all well behaved. Tiring them out exhausts me. Dogs need a job, some more than others. Heelers definitely need a job. If you do not give them a job, they will make one up. Their job may not be one you like. These are not casual dogs. They have considerable energy and are really smart. If you are not an involved owner/handler this may not be the dog for you.
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The only Britt I had was too high-strung, and it's constant hole digging was its undoing.

Best dog I ever had was a Black & Tan hound. Very intelligent. Rang the doorbell when it wanted in, learned to open the door by turning the knob with its teeth after my dad disconnected the door bell because the dog was driving him nuts wanting in, and even ran off to meet me at the school bus stop--even on weekends. Okay--he was intelligent, not too smart. The only person he ever bit was me, but he didn't do it again after I bit him back. The little kids used to ride him like a horse. A great bedwarmer during cold winters.
    Last edited by OldVet; December 2nd, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Blue Heelers, aka Australian Cattle Dogs (ACD)... amazing breed. My wife and I work with the ACD rescue which takes in ACD's that have been abandoned at shelters, etc. We foster on occasion as well. We have 3 of our own right now, all of which are rescues. Incredibly intelligent, incredibly loyal and incredibly obedient. Sometimes they can be headstrong but if you establish yourself as the alpha you won't have any trouble.

Our most recent addition to the family, this past July is Joey (aka Fmarff), he's stone cold deaf, about 18 months old. My wife has taught him hand signals and he's learned a tremendous amount from our other two furry children. Great dog. He's the most highstrung of the bunch and he finds work for himself... namely, running in circles around the woodpile and the entire yard.

For your viewing pleasure... a video... a few others out there as well from different angles.

Super Fmarff - YouTube
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

I rescued a red heeler in Texas 9 years ago, and he's been my best friend since then. He's about 12 now, and wrestles with our 2 year old Olde English Bulldogge as if he were still a pup. He's lived in the rural areas of Oklahoma, 4 years of apartment life in Chicago, and now has 2 acres in Michigan. He's the best dog I've ever had.
    My daughter was born 3.5 months ago, and he protects here, sometimes to a fault.
    Took me 3 days to potty train him.
    Only thing he gets squirrelly about is unneutered male dogs. He does show some aggression.
    Oh, and he peed on my wife's leg once when we were at the dog beach in Chicago. Was telling the other dogs that she was his territory. I watched him do it and was laughing so hard I couldn't warn my wife.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links