Anyone have a blue heeler?

This is a discussion on Anyone have a blue heeler? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had a blue, here myself, had to be the best dog I ever had. loyal, very smart, problem solving, alert. I myself would never ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Anyone have a blue heeler?

I had a blue, here myself, had to be the best dog I ever had. loyal, very smart, problem solving, alert.
    I myself would never have anything but a blue healer.
    I had a small Property and a large horse, I used to let the horse out and he would grase the back yard. The dog got along great with the horse. and learned that when the sun went down I would go out and put the horse up.
    2 weeks later the dog was putting the horse in the pen and would close the gate. If he would have learned to latch the gate, I would have just gotten lazier LOL.
    Thay love playing ball, frizbie, old shoes.

2. Remove Ads

Here's Chaser on his first dove hunt. No, I never got him to retrieve.

They are very high strung, lots of energy. We have completely worn ours out a couple times, the last time took a 6 mile hike. You need to be sure you can be the Alpha leader. Or they will be. We have managed to get ours down to third place, but can't get our youngest to be firm enough with him. So he still tries to herd her occasionally. He will nip when he's herding, he's a bit mouthy when your playing. But he has never seriously bitten. I will tell you that I have had to get physically aggressive to get through his thick head that he's not the boss. And stubborn is an understatement with this one. We are getting there with him. He's about 9 months right now. The more we take him out and walk or play with him the better he behaves. He does well with sit, stay, shake, and fetch. We have a lead that's about 10' of rope and we use that when we are playing fetch in the yard. He still has a lot of puppy and he seems to do better when he knows he has a leash on. I hope to get him better behaved off leash in the future.

He has been fantastic with strangers when we walk him or take him places, as long as you don't count peeing when he's excited against him. Which has made house breaking tougher. He's good with the girls, but sometimes gets a bit rough when they are playing. They will try to steal stuff, Chaser loves tissues and socks. But if I catch him doing it I can yell "drop it" and he generally spits it out. Currently he's laying behind my computer chair. I think he would do much better if we spent more time working with him.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I have a blue heeler and if you don't give her something to do she will find something to do. This ain't always good. Once she knows she is not suppose to do something you don't have to worry about her doing it. I have seen blue heelers used to to "herd" free range chickens without a problem.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

ive had heelers most of my life..they are great dogs but tend to bond with only one person, althoug my daughter has one that is a great family dog. can be dog aggressive and needs a strong leader...smartest dogs ive ever owned.. they do can have some genetic problems, but ALL breeds can... theres a great rescue group right outside Chattanoog, Tn.. read lots of articles on the breed before u get one. great protectors but not for everyone.....virg

Apparently my grandparents used a heeler as a nanny for my dad. They would draw a square in the dirt backyard around my dad as a toddler and the dog wouldn't let him leave it.

If the stories are true, she knew her left and right too. You could tell her to grab the toy (or whatever) to the left of the one she was playing with and have her bring it to you.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links