I cracked 200 :)

This is a discussion on I cracked 200 :) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'd like to say it is my weight but it's not. Many of you will remember the thread about my working out follies a few ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By wmhawth

Thread: I cracked 200 :)

VIP Member

I cracked 200 :)

I'd like to say it is my weight but it's not. Many of you will remember the thread about my working out follies a few months ago. I was having such a hard time rehabbing my shoulders.

Well, things are going better. I've been hitting the gym pretty hard for about 2 months now and things are getting back to where they should be. When I started I could only bench about 45lbs because my shoulders were so bad. Today I made 205lbs. I only could do it once and my left shoulder was screaming, but I got it!

My goal is to get to where I'm working out with 200lbs for 3 sets of ten. It will take me a while to get there, but I'm on my way. So far I've lost about 11 pounds too. Not too shabby for a guy about to turn 39. :)
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats! Don't push it too hard!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Congrats! Don't push it too hard!
    +1 on that. Spooky. That is exactly where I was in weight and age. If your shoulder is screaming it's not because it's wimpy. Trust me, brother, it's saying, "Slow down!" Don't learn it my way. Rotator cuffs are not forever!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Do it while your still young as it get harder as we get older ; ) PS Congrats
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Today I made 205lbs. I only could do it once and my left shoulder was screaming, but I got it!
    If you are trying to rehab a shoulder and the weight you are lifting has that shoulder screaming it probably means you shouldn't be pushing it that hard. Might be a good idea to back off a bit and not risk a re-injury that would set you back in the progress you have made.
    My goal is to get to where I'm working out with 200lbs for 3 sets of ten. It will take me a while to get there, but I'm on my way. So far I've lost about 11 pounds too. Not too shabby for a guy about to turn 39. :)
    I guess at age 39 we are still immortal. I didn't actually become mortal man until about age 50.
    oneshot likes this.

Way to go Timmy!

I have been doing strenght training since age 41. I will be 55 this September and I also remember my first 200 lb bench press. I thought I was Mr. Universe.

You may want to do smaller sets though, you may be doing too much too soon. My buddy who trains us says that the weight is irrelavent, but when the correct technique applied will make it happen. Make sure you are doing that above all.

We go only 3 to 5 reps for about 5-8 sets on our "heavy" days and then do a light day with less weight. Also we hit the decline, incline and a standing military-type over the head push from the squat rack plus some assistance training with dumbells or the universal machine.

I personally love the decline. I have pushed about 250 lbs. weighing in at 180 at age 54. You can push gargantuan weight on it because of the angle. Although my lower back let me know the next day just exactly what I had done. It was an Advil day I tell you, but I was happy nonetheless.

Keep it up though, like Red Green says, "We're all in this together, and we're pulling for you!"
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Timmaaaaaaaaay!
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Ex Member
    Good for you. One small step at a time always gets results.

VIP Member
    For the record I don't usually try to go "heavy". I was just having a good day today and I wanted to see what I could do. :) You guys know how it is.

In my youth I was able to go quite a bit heavier, but I never made my goal of 300lbs (*). Frankly, I'm not sure I ever will. The point though is to be healthy. This temple is not going to crumble or fall into disrepair.

* My older brother is a monster and at age 40 is still able to put up about 360 or 370 on a good day. Even though I'm 6ft and 220 lbs I still feel small around him.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Just to inspire you, A guy that worked as the regulatory manager (office boy} where I work, retired at age 70.
    He's almost 72 and can still BP 325, as of last Christmas party.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Just to inspire you, A guy that worked as the regulatory manager (office boy} where I work, retired at age 70.
    He's almost 72 and can still BP 325, as of last Christmas party.
    Big deal...
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Dang,my first thought was you managed to crackup 200 planes while directing them on the ground,I had no idea there was a contest for it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Dang,my first thought was you managed to crackup 200 planes while directing them on the ground,I had no idea there was a contest for it
    200 planes? Not at my airport.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    If you are trying to rehab a shoulder and the weight you are lifting has that shoulder screaming it probably means you shouldn't be pushing it that hard. Might be a good idea to back off a bit and not risk a re-injury that would set you back in the progress you have made.
    This is really good advice. I had a railroad tie dropped on my shoulder about a year and a half ago, and it tore my rotator cuff and dinged my collar bone pretty good. I over did it with the PT and wound up costing myself about a month and a good bit of pain.

Links