Looking for some ghost/horror short stories

This is a discussion on Looking for some ghost/horror short stories within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One of my best friends hosts these "storytelling" nights where we all sit around, eat, drink, and tell ghost/horror short stories. They all know I ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By OPFOR
  • 2 Post By mr.stuart

Thread: Looking for some ghost/horror short stories

Looking for some ghost/horror short stories

One of my best friends hosts these "storytelling" nights where we all sit around, eat, drink, and tell ghost/horror short stories. They all know I am a firearms enthusiast so I am looking for some cool stories involving them. Would like some "true" stories if possible!

p.s. if anyone is looking for a fun, different night hanging with your crew, I highly recommend this. I didn't think I would be into it as much, but was wrong!
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Member of NRA, GOA, SAF, NAGR, CCDL

2. Remove Ads

I really enjoy ghost hunting. I haven't been able to go It nearly as much as I use to or would like to but. I've been all over the state and parts of mass. Where in CT do you do this?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroper View Post
    I really enjoy ghost hunting. I haven't been able to go It nearly as much as I use to or would like to but. I've been all over the state and parts of mass. Where in CT do you do this?
    What do you shoot a ghost with?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    What do you shoot a ghost with?
    These?

WHEC724 and 97tbird like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    In the early 1800s grave robbing was common with the thieves digging up fresh graves and selling the corpse to medical schools. One town after having a cemetery robbed few times decided to put a stop to it. After a funeral they stationed people to watch the cemetery to catch the robbers. Shortly after sunset a wagon was heard approaching, it stopped and two men climbed down and went into the cemetery. Shortly they returned carrying the corpse and placed it in the wagon. While they went back for their tools the townspeople removed the corpse and replaced it with a live person. The men returned loaded their tools and proceeded to drive off, passing a bottle to celebrate their good fortune. After a short distance the “corpse” listening to their conversation and growing a bit thirsty asked that they pass the bottle to him. Upon hearing the corpse speak the two grave robbers immediately jumped off the wagon and were never seen again. Oh and the town never had another grave robbed.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I could tell you a ton of them that friends, whom didn't believe in them and are not easily convinced, told me about. There is one in my house that is a kid and 2 generations ( my kids and my grandkids) have consistently seen, and I have seen 'once'. It is a girl about 8-10 yrs old. I was floored by it, to say the least. When weird little things start happening ... it is as if they are playing with you or little things to be funny, and if I ask it to stop, it will .... like my key flying off the dresser, and I'll put them back up there and they will fly off again, and after about the 3rd time or so .... I just put the keys in my pocket or tell them they are really funny and to please stop, and it does. I've tested it and watched the keys fly off up to 8 times...... before finally telling them, that was enough and to please stop, and it stopped. There are other things like this that it does.

There was a facility here that several people had experience with a supposed ghost. It had been a 4 story older brick dormotory style facility for unwed mothers in the 1940's - 1950's, then in the 60's it was used for delinguent girls. It had some ugly things in it including the "hole" (2 very cold isolated cells) in the basement they used that are difficult to describe. I've seen lots of things, but these cells ranked among the worse. Well, it had been empty for several years and they built a new court / court office building next to it and a detention facility for juveniles. They were going to renovate this particular building into offices for other law enforcement and court related functions. Two of my friends were part of those who would be there at night to watch it while it started to be renovated so no one got in and it was secure. One night they were standing off from the front door at the large dining room...... both of them swear (& they are smart and not easily fooled & very logical people)..... they saw this girl walk into the dining room right by them, walk across the dining room and thru the far wall. They said neither of them said a thing to each other for minutes, then one of them asked the other... did you see anything.... and they then compared notes.

Well, after this building was renovated, people at the detention facility kept seeing lights on the top floor go on and off, on .... then later off, etc. at night. The highest floor was used as a lock up for the biggest problem girls. Then they would go on .... and then off after some minutes, on other floors. So, they would have police come out while in the meantime watching all entrances to make sure whoever was in there didn't escape. Problem was.... over and over and over again, they never found anyone. All of the electricity was checked several times and no problems were found either. A few times, every light in the place were on at the same time .... and when they went over to check the building, they all went off at the same time..... all 4 floors.

There was a rumor going.... it was the ghost of a girl who had given birth to a baby, and they took the baby away. She acted out a lot and was angry, so they put her in the hole in the basement..... to which she hung and killed herself. They say... she's looking for her baby.

I finally decided to find out if such a person ever existed..... ever. I had access to all records, and asked if in my spare time they had an issue with me going thru the old records. Sure enough, after hours checking them on my time, I found one...... the file reflected everything about the story to be "true" . A girl had a baby, it was taken from her, and she was put in the hole and committed suicide 2 days later. She had just turned 16 yrs old when she had the baby.

I worked out of that building for a time. They used it for probation officers, investigators, area police unit, and some asst DA's. Jump ahead numerous numerous years and they tell me, it's still going on.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    My first three marriages were horror stories,but you had to be there to understand,
    JoJoGunn and Spade115 like this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

A click instead of a bang, that will make you the next ghost.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    A click instead of a bang, that will make you the next ghost.
    Or a bang instead of a click too.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    In the early 1800s grave robbing was common with the thieves digging up fresh graves and selling the corpse to medical schools. One town after having a cemetery robbed few times decided to put a stop to it. After a funeral they stationed people to watch the cemetery to catch the robbers. Shortly after sunset a wagon was heard approaching, it stopped and two men climbed down and went into the cemetery. Shortly they returned carrying the corpse and placed it in the wagon. While they went back for their tools the townspeople removed the corpse and replaced it with a live person. The men returned loaded their tools and proceeded to drive off, passing a bottle to celebrate their good fortune. After a short distance the “corpse” listening to their conversation and growing a bit thirsty asked that they pass the bottle to him. Upon hearing the corpse speak the two grave robbers immediately jumped off the wagon and were never seen again. Oh and the town never had another grave robbed.
    You can find similar stories in teh Scary Stories series (three books) by Alvin Schwartz. Yeh its a kids book but all teh stories are either traditional folk stories or adaptions of those and can be enjoyed by adults. Another series tahts Similar is Short and Shivery. I recently looked for new ones but the new "horror" stories for kids are all crap about that make you want to gouge your eyes out. Seriously. I tried to read this new series thats supposed to be really good (They're coming for you series) and it was terrible. Something about ghost hunters in a school where students were bored to death by a teacher.......ugh.

VIP Member
    Here goes:

Once there was a man looking for a self defense pistol. He went into a store and bought a High Point. The end.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Links