American Military University

This is a discussion on American Military University within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A couple of my NCOs are working on their degrees from AMU...another is one of my officers who is working on his Masters from AMU... ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: American Military University

A couple of my NCOs are working on their degrees from AMU...another is one of my officers who is working on his Masters from AMU...

It is accredited...and popular among military members for its online courses and programs. Level of effort/reward and/or difficulty (like any other course) is dependent on the instructor.

However, my personal preference/experience says stick with an accredited brick & mortar school...and take classes through them online.....that is, if online courses are what fits the bill and the format works for you (as it did for me), then go to a B&M school with an online program. It's the same information/dialogue in a different format.

My opinion (and only my opinion) of AMU--they are on the ("legal" side of) the line between a legitimate, accredited school and a diploma mill. In some circles, a degree is a degree and you're checking a box. In other (academic) circles, AMU is less rigorous academically and may affect your choices for schooling beyond your current pursuit. It depends on what you want.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    The best thing to do if you want to know where a college stands is to start by Googling "college accreditation", I just looked at the first page of links that popped up, and you should be able to get information there. Aside from program and class information, I'd stay away from the school's site..... They are NOT going to say "we stink".

I also just read something in the last couple of weeks (sorry, can't remember where), that said to try and steer clear of "for profit" schools..... They are more worried about the bottom line. Don't confuse "for profit" with "private", they are different.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Yeah, I know about general education requirements. But I would like the first few courses I take to make an impression on the recruiter. I'm hoping to join as either a MP or Maritime Enforcement Officer depending on whether I go into the Army, Navy, or Coast Guard and I was thinking that taking courses in a related area would help me out with that. And no, I haven't taken the ASVAB yet. I was debating whether I should go ahead or wait until I was actually ready to enlist.

Small bore pistol and rifle!?! I'm so jealous right now! LOL.
    Yes, smallbore pistol, rifle, and trap shooting were three of my phys ed classes, (I think I needed 5 IIRC), and the other two were martial arts. They really had about any sport you wanted at OSU, from shooting, to bowling, to weight-lifting, to swimming.

The reason I suggest the general classes, are they are topics that are on the ASVAB, so taking them before you take your ASVAB will give you a refresher, and have stuff like basic English and Math fresh in your brain to help you out. I would imagine things are the same for other branches, but one of the big deciders when it comes to what MOS you can get into is your ASVAB score, and your GT score (which is an aptitude thing derived from the ASVAB score). All MOS's have a minimum score that you need to have to get into them. The higher your ASVAB score, the more jobs you can do.

This is just my opinion, but I would take enough general credits from an accredited school, like a Community College or Branch Campus, and then when you have enough, try to enlist, and take your ASVAB. There are also only so many slots open for each MOS a year, but do not sign that contract until it says the MOS you want on it! Accept nothing else than what you want, I had a slight hiccup because there were no infantry slots open when I first tried to enlist, but I told my recruiter I wasn't signing until it said "Infantry." So he kept an eye out, and a week or two later someone from the region who had been infantry had failed their MEPs physical, so he snagged the spot for me.

An extra tip for you, the government's fiscal year run October to October. So right now, there probably aren't a lot of slots open in anything. You would be competing with two things. First, it is the second half of the fiscal year, so the prime spots and jobs are probably already taken. Second, is that a lot of high schools and colleges are getting ready to graduate people, which gives the service an influx during the summer months. Sometimes people are unable to find employment after graduation, so they enlist, hoping that when they get out, the economy is better.

So October/November time-frame should give you your best shot at getting exactly what you want.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

das
    I registered here just to respond to this thread, especially after I saw the messages thinking that the other replies must automatically be paid representatives of the school (they're not — they're students, just like me).

AMU is regionally accredited by the North Central Association Higher Learning Commission (NCA-HLC). NCA-HLC is one of the regional accreditation agencies for many public research universities and military institutions, such as the University of Michigan, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the US Air Force Academy, and the US Army Command and General Staff College. I realize there is a bias against online education in some circles, but it does not walk any line between a legitimate institution and a diploma mill.

Sure, there may be a bias in some circles against online education, and this has now morphed into "for-profit" education. Why? Because as all of the traditional universities scramble to create all-online learning programs, they realized that having their lobbyists indiscriminately trash online learning would end up hurting them. So now the "for-profit" distinction suddenly appears.

It's also false to say, wholesale, that "for-profit" credits won't transfer. It's credits that aren't from a regionally accredited institution that are the problem, not the profit status of the university. Credits will transfer from AMU programs with the same ease — or lack thereof — that they would from any other regionally accredited university. I say "lack thereof" because transfer credits often start to get subjective for courses beyond general education or well-known courses...but that's true of any university.

The fact of the matter is that there are academic programs, majors, etc., in both for- and non-profit schools that are good and bad. Furthermore, your education is what you make of it — no matter how "prestigious" the name of the institution on your diploma. I've met more than my share of people I'd rather not have working for me who have graced the finest halls of learning.

It's a shame, really — I received a better, more challenging, more engaging, and more fulfilling education via AMU than I ever did sitting in classrooms at two respected public research universities, including the one I've worked at for the past 16 years. I learned from intelligence professionals who were — and often still are — lifelong practitioners in their fields.

AMU is actually pretty well-respected in various military, intelligence, and public safety circles. Why? Because they know what an AMU education means. AMU offers some degree programs that don't exist anywhere outside of government/military institutions like NPS or NDIC. There is always the "for-profit" stigma, but then:

1. How does any "for-profit" corporation with shareholders manage to create quality products?

2. Why are "non-profit" private universities, and even public research universities for that matter, increasingly concerned with revenue sources?

The other issue is that some people simply won't get — or continue — an education unless they're able to do it with the flexibility that online education offers. And some people want to pursue degrees in fields like homeland security, emergency management, terrorism studies, or other degrees that are hard to find or non-existent at many traditional schools.

Ultimately your education is what you make of it. I received a direct commission as a Navy Information Warfare Officer with my BA and MA degrees from AMU, both of which I completed over the course of the last six years (if it was a diploma mill, it seems like it should have been a lot quicker!). This was in a highly competitive community alongside individuals with graduate degrees from some of the most prestigious brick-and-mortar schools.

No, that's not my only credential, but since a regionally accredited degree is required for a military commission[1], and graduate degrees are very much desired, I can only conclude that my AMU degrees were viewed as a positive part of my package. I could provide many other examples of individuals going on to teach, other graduate programs at brick and mortar schools, or getting the jobs they were after with their AMU degrees.

In any case, good luck, and feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions!

[1] Yes, I know there are certain, rare ways individuals can receive commissions without a degree.

I registered here just to respond to this thread.

First of all, I earned my B.A. in History from Washington State University, so I do have a degree from a traditional brick and mortar, PAC-10 school. My husband is in the Army, so attending a brick and mortar school for my Master's program was unrealistic as we didn't know if we would have to move in the middle of my degree program.

I just finished my M.A. in Military History through AMU, and I am very happy with the experience I had with them. There are many who earn a B.A. through AMU that go on to attend brick and mortar schools for their Master's, and I and others have independently researched whether or not this degree suffices to get us into Ph.D. programs, and the vast majority of universities, including Ivy League universities, are happy to accept students who earned a degree at AMU. I did an extensive amount of research before deciding to complete my M.A. at AMU, and the most important aspect for me was that they are regionally accredited, which means my degree will be accepted by any authority that requires an M.A. for employment or school attendance. I took the Capstone option, which included writing a Master's thesis, to prepare me for Ph.D. work. I can also say with complete confidence, that the Master's program in history is comparable to the education and level of difficulty I would have received at a brick and mortar school. I took a full load and worked my butt off to ensure I got good grades, and I can tell you that my B.A. was nowhere near as difficult. I often got As in my classes as long as I showed up every day and paid attention to what the instructor was saying. When I was at WSU, there were some classes I took that I never had to crack open a book for because our professors tested us on the lectures. At AMU, I had to keep up with my readings in order to ensure that I could even stay afloat in the classes. In addition, the requirements for my thesis were exactly the same as they would be at a B&M university. I had to travel to conduct research, and we were expected to provide original research that provided an addition to the historiography of our subject, which is required at traditional universities, as well.

As for the school being a "for-profit" school, I'd challenge you to find a traditional university that doesn't do the exact same thing. Universities are businesses, period. Though they have to pay their professors and support staff, a good amount of money often goes into a "rainy day" fund, which is a profit. Also, boards of regents and other higher members of staff receive their pay increases based on the profits of the university. There is a reason why schools are forced to cut certain programs to reduce their budget...it's because they're spending any overages they have on other things.

I am seriously considering attending school to receive a Ph.D., but that will have to wait until my husband retires from the military. We spend enough time apart as it is while he is deployed...I don't want to add to it by attending a college for 5 years when he might receive orders to PCS.

I hope you're finding these testimonials helpful. I can promise you that if I had a bad experience at AMU, I would not recommend it, but I strongly feel that at least their History M.A. programs are just as stringent as those at traditional universities.
    mano3 likes this.

New Stiudent at AMU

I am a new student at AMU in the Master's Program for Emergency Management and Disaster Planning. Can anyone recommend some professors to take (or avoid) and any good classes in this program?

Thanks,
    cathy

VIP Member
    Wow, it looks like AMU has a paid shill program too. I wouldn't touch AMU with a ten foot pole. "American Military University" Talk about a name designed to reel in a certain group of folks. The name and the 5 shill posters all scream SCAM SCAM SCAM to me. <--reads like GAS GAS GAS in your loudest shouting voice.

No way, no how brothers. To all other vets out there BE CAREFUL and good luck.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

das
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Wow, it looks like AMU has a paid shill program too. I wouldn't touch AMU with a ten foot pole. "American Military University" Talk about a name designed to reel in a certain group of folks. The name and the 5 shill posters all scream SCAM SCAM SCAM to me. <--reads like GAS GAS GAS in your loudest shouting voice.

No way, no how brothers. To all other vets out there BE CAREFUL and good luck.
    Sorry to disappoint, but not a "shill", paid or otherwise. In fact, I paid 100% of my tuition at AMU since I was not in the military before (and thus could not use the GI Bill or other programs). The fact remains that I was selected for a direct commission as a Naval Officer alongside people with PhDs from prestigious brick-and-mortar institutions.

What's more, I'm now in the graduate Space Systems program at the Naval Postgraduate School, with just my BA and MA from AMU as my academic background.
    mano3 likes this.

Don't know the first thing about THIS school, but I can speak from experience on this subject. I made the mistake of choosing a school based on their longevity and website. I know... not smart! I did go to visit sed school before enrolling and fell hook line and sinker for the highly polished song and dance. If I had to do over again, I would first visit more than one. Second, track down alumni and ask of their experience. Third, visit MORE THAN ONE!!! Any offer sounds good if you can't compare it to another. On one hand all universities are businesses and some businesses have been corrupted by greed. On the other, some schools exist to better individuals and there by society. Seek out the latter. Enrollment is and investment, that makes you the customer. Make sure you get what you payed for.

I am a graduate of AMU with a BA in Military History and a MA in World History.

Great school and they are nationally and regionally accredited. The regional accrediation is the best and toughest rating to get. The class schedules are very flexible and most of the instructors are retired military.

Be ready to do A LOT of reading and writing since you don't sit in a traditional classroom. You also have to log into the discussion boards weekly to answer and critique the teacher's and students' posts.

All in all, I enjoyed the experience, but it's not for folks who are unorganized or lack time management skills and discipline.

BTW: I work for USAF as a civilian.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    I am a graduate of AMU with a BA in Military History and a MA in World History.

Great school and they are nationally and regionally accredited. The regional accrediation is the best and toughest rating to get. The class schedules are very flexible and most of the instructors are retired military.

Be ready to do A LOT of reading and writing since you don't sit in a traditional classroom. You also have to log into the discussion boards weekly to answer and critique the teacher's and students' posts.

All in all, I enjoyed the experience, but it's not for folks who are unorganized or lack time management skills and discipline.

BTW: I work for USAF as a civilian.
    Wow. The first post I've seen from an actual board memebr.
    mano3 likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by das View Post
    Sorry to disappoint, but not a "shill", paid or otherwise. In fact, I paid 100% of my tuition at AMU since I was not in the military before (and thus could not use the GI Bill or other programs). The fact remains that I was selected for a direct commission as a Naval Officer alongside people with PhDs from prestigious brick-and-mortar institutions.

What's more, I'm now in the graduate Space Systems program at the Naval Postgraduate School, with just my BA and MA from AMU as my academic background.
    Friend, don't be "sorry to disappoint" because I'm not going to be disappointed if this school turns out to be a good one. The problem with you, and every other positive poster before mano3, is that you have no credibility here. Why on Earth would anyone who doesn't know a thing about you take your word at face value? I wouldn't, and nobody with an ounce of sense would.

As you are aware it is a common tactic by scammers to haunt threads like this. They pop up out of nowhere because this site is free. They submit a glowing report about a product or institution. Then they fade away into cyberspace never to be heard from again.

If you want us to believe you or all the good things you posted about your institution then stick around a while and get to know us.
    mano3 likes this.
    Mark Twain:

Lightbulb little info about AMU

I am a registered student at AMU, although my classes don't start until November, so I honestly can't say anything about the quality of the school. However, I have been online for the last couple hours looking up information on AMU to make sure that I'm not about to be scammed, and for the most part, I have found generally positive reviews.
    I will say you should check out this page on ripoffreport.com about AMU. Ripoff Report | American Military University | Complaint Review: 570108
    Read the original poster's review, then read the hundred or so replies, including a reply from an alumni who is offering to pay the tuition for a class for the original poster to see if it changes his opinion. I feel much better about having signed up with AMU - I only hope it lives up to my expectations, but judging from everything I've read, I think it will.
    And yes, they are regionally accredited, which is the important one.
    No, I'm not necessarily saying to go for it where AMU is concerned, because as I said, I haven't even started my classes yet. I'm just saying that I've read a lot of reviews in a lot of places, and, for an online school, it's sounding better and better.

On a sort-of side note: I will be working on my BA in environmental science with a minor in international relations. Does anyone know anything about those programs at AMU?

And I'll try to remember to come back here and post after my classes start and let y'all know if they're up to par or not. :]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links