American Military University

This is a discussion on American Military University within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does anyone know anything about this place?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: American Military University

Does anyone know anything about this place?

2. Remove Ads

Their web site gives all kinds of information?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Their web site gives all kinds of information?
    It seems as though the question lies more along their reputation, and if its a worthwhile school to go to.

From the advertising I've seen for them-I am reminded of schools like "The university of phoenix" and "Everest university". I don't really know anything about it other than they advertise on Pandora Radio. I'm staying away from places like that.
    pilot101 likes this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Yeah, I'm just wondering if they are reputable. Not likely to have "WE ARE CON ARTIST" written on their website, LOL

EDIT: I posted at the same time as Ghettokracker71, so I hadn't seen his post when I wrote the above. I know that they are accredited with the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and that the Dallas Police lists the NCA as one of their accepted accreditation agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Yeah, I'm just wondering if they are reputable. Not likely to have "WE ARE CON ARTIST" written on their website, LOL
    Lol, exactly. I don't think just "googling it" is a good way to get information to stake your education on the line with either-so I can't blame you for asking. Sorry I don't know more. You can probable find good and bad information about most anything depending on where you look.

Good luck with your education , whatever you decide to do.

I am in a local community college in a associates degree program to transfer to a 4 year university, I chose to go the "more traditional" route for reputations sake on my resume, I don't want a school I've never even seen the "campus" for and only saw an advertisement on TV for to be on my resume for the rest of my career. And I will save thousands over just going for the full 4 years. Also if anything should happen in my personal or family life that could get in the way of my education, theres alot higher chance I will at least have a "smaller" degree to use for job hunting until I could return to school again. Just my $.02

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Lol, exactly. I don't think just "googling it" is a good way to get information to stake your education on the line with either-so I can't blame you for asking. Sorry I don't know more. You can probable find good and bad information about most anything depending on where you look.

Good luck with your education , whatever you decide to do.

I am in a local community college in a associates degree program to transfer to a 4 year university, I chose to go the "more traditional" route for reputations sake on my resume, I don't want a school I've never even seen the "campus" for and only saw an advertisement on TV for to be on my resume for the rest of my career. And I will save thousands over just going for the full 4 years. Also if anything should happen in my personal or family life that could get in the way of my education, theres alot higher chance I will at least have a "smaller" degree to use for job hunting until I could return to school again. Just my $.02
    Yeah, that's a good idea, but I want to study Forensic Science and there isn't a program for that locally, so I've got to go online. I need 15 credits to join the Reserves (I have a GED, not a traditional High School Diploma,) and since I need the credits anyway, I might as well get them in a program that will count toward my desired degree.

Might want to check to see IF they do count, alot of "for profit" universities credits do NOT transfer at all, another turn off for me.

Can you get 15 credits worth of "the basics" done ?(AFAIK-Any bachelors degree, and all the associates I know of require SOME level of history,math, English and computer classes to graduate.)

Perhaps a call or visit to your recruiter to ask his/her opinion would help?

Personally, I'd stay away from it.

If you need 15 credit hours, I would take some pre-req courses from a local branch college of a university, or a community college. Every major requires basic math, science, english, history, like ghettokracker said. Trying to transfer college credits can be tricky. I would think that there is some major university with a branch in the Tampa area (for comparison, I know Ohio State, my alma mater, has at least 4 branch campuses in addition to the main one), and it is likely to make the future transfer of them easier.

Have you tried talking to the people at the Tampa P.D. crime lab, and seen what kind of degree's they prefer their people to have? Just because an online college says a degree is for something, doesn't mean it meets all the requirements for it.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

OK, tried to post this before, but it mysteriously got erased. I was actually thinking about getting my degree from AMU, so transferring credits wouldn't be a problem. I also don't want to have just 15 random credits, I'm trying to take courses that relate to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    OK, tried to post this before, but it mysteriously got erased. I was actually thinking about getting my degree from AMU, so transferring credits wouldn't be a problem. I also don't want to have just 15 random credits, I'm trying to take courses that relate to each other.
    For what it is worth, to get a bachelor's degree in anything, you need to take "random" credits. My degree is in history, and I took classes in anthropology, astronomy, math, american folklore, composition, several martial arts, small-bore rifle and pistol, sociology, criminology, biology, history, statistics, psychology, and I could keep going on. My school ran on the quarter system, not semesters, so credit hours are a little different. But it takes roughly 45 credit hours in history courses for a history degree, 25 credit hours for a minor in criminology. So out of my roughly 200 credit hours, 70 were major/minor related. So well over half of them were in random topics.

A bachelor's degree has a focus (your major), but is also intended to make someone a well rounded, educated individual. I know you said you are looking into the reserves, have you taken your ASVAB yet? Because if not, I would take courses in the things on there, like simple sciences, math, and English.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Cool

If you want to find out about the reputation of an online school, just find students or alumni of that school and ask. I just completed my second Master's Degree at AMU and I must say...it was not easy. The school is based in Charles Town, WV and they do not hire just anyone to teach their online programs like many online schools. The professors are typically subject matter experts in the field they are instructing and are usually currently working in their profession. I know this may not mean a lot to some, but when you have someone teaching a subject who has current experience, you not only can learn the history, but also the most current issues in that subject/field. As with any other college, I had some professors who were easy, but then I also had those who were very difficult and challenged the students to really work and think outside the box. I attended undergraduate studies at a traditional brick and mortar school where I had to attend classes on campus. I enjoyed both experiences; however, if you are not disciplined enough and able to motivate yourself to do your own work, then online studies may not be right for you. This kind of school is perfect for individuals who work full time and more especially military personnel. The staff and professors are great with the students and very understanding if students need extensions or are deployed. If you haven't done so already, check out American Military University - Official Site.

AMU is a part of the APUS (American Public University System) and is an accredited educational institution. For more information please refer to APUS - Accreditation & Licensure.

Finally, I will provide an excerpt from the Website from the President and CEO of the school. If you have any further questions, feel free to message me (I'm new to this site so not sure if there is a messaging option). I'm always happy to help mentor anyone who is looking at attending AMU/APU and answer any questions you may have.

From the AMU President/CEO:
    Welcome from the President

Service. Leadership. Relevance in a global society. These values define our mission at American Public University System. They guide how we educate and support more than 80,000 distance learners studying in 50 states and more than 100 countries. They shape the growth of our two institutions, American Public University and American Military University. They are a roadmap for how we prepare you for successful careers.

How do we set ourselves apart from other distance learning and traditional “brick-and-mortar” universities?

Our Programs, Your Career

Above all, we exist to serve you. Our students quickly discover a tight-knit community of professors, staff, and fellow students.You’ll engage in one-on-one discussions with professors. You may work on a project with other students who live in your town or join online chats to discuss coursework with classmates who live across an ocean.

We continuously strive to keep the learning environment creative, demanding and relevant to what's happening in the world today.

In fact, we commit ourselves to providing the best in career-relevant programs. We offer an impressive curriculum, with more than 70 undergraduate and graduate degree programs, including homeland security, intelligence, education, and emergency management.

The professors teaching these programs are truly “real-world” experts who incorporate knowledge they learn from the field. Many are executives in government, business and non-profit organizations, including the State Department, Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, CIA, Federal Emergency Management Agency, and the United Nations.

Join Us

Since our founding in 1991 as American Military University, we’ve grown to become a leader in distance education. Our students have always been the best of the best.

I encourage you to learn more about us. Talk to one of our students. Chat with a professor or department chair. Explore our Web site. Find out how American Public University System is helping others and how we can help you grow, achieve and succeed.

Dr. Wallace E. Boston, President and Chief Executive Officer

While I know some people may frown upon the concept of online education, this is the future of education. To give you an example of how this experience is not much different than brick and mortar schools, I was recently accepted into a PhD program, which I will begin in the fall of 2011. This program is one of few across the United States that is offered and very difficult to be accepted into. I have also managed to obtain a job in emergency planning for my State Government, and I have to say that I got this job because of the courses and degrees I received from AMU. Take care!!

I am a current student at AMU and have been taking classes for over a year now. Before starting AMU I spent about 10 months extensively researching different online colleges and universities. I went in a talked to the University of Phoenix, I requested information from just about every online school imaginable. I could not find one which not only offered the degree I wanted but would allow me to complete it all online. I am a military spouse and was in the process of PCSing overseas.

After a whole lot of research and cheesy sales call disquised as "advising sessions" with "school advisors"...HELLO people, I'm not stupid. I gave up on my dream. It was at this point my brother in law, who was currently working at the VA, suggested I look into AMU. Taking his advice I gave them a call. The person I spoke to provided me with useful information and answered all of my questions and not once did I feel like they were trying to sell me something. So, I filled out all the paperwork, signed up for classes and applied for Financial Aid. My thought was that I would try a couple classes and see. Even then I was still skeptical. Needless to say, I am still a student plugging away at my classes and working hard to earn my A's. The professors I have encountered are professional, helpful and there to challenge you to learn. I may be on the Dean's List but in no way were those A's just given to me. I had to work hard and earn them. I am on the way to earning my Bachelors in Marketing with a minor in Religion. The majority of my marketing classes have been with an amazing professor who has solid teaching credentials and professional credentials. She challenges her students to apply what we are learning to real world situations. I know when I am finished I will be ready for the real world and I will owe it all to AMU and the amazing teaching staff.

If you need the flexibility online classes can give you then I highly recommend giving AMU a call. Go on, what have you go to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    For what it is worth, to get a bachelor's degree in anything, you need to take "random" credits. My degree is in history, and I took classes in anthropology, astronomy, math, american folklore, composition, several martial arts, small-bore rifle and pistol, sociology, criminology, biology, history, statistics, psychology, and I could keep going on. My school ran on the quarter system, not semesters, so credit hours are a little different. But it takes roughly 45 credit hours in history courses for a history degree, 25 credit hours for a minor in criminology. So out of my roughly 200 credit hours, 70 were major/minor related. So well over half of them were in random topics.

A bachelor's degree has a focus (your major), but is also intended to make someone a well rounded, educated individual. I know you said you are looking into the reserves, have you taken your ASVAB yet? Because if not, I would take courses in the things on there, like simple sciences, math, and English.
    Yeah, I know about general education requirements. But I would like the first few courses I take to make an impression on the recruiter. I'm hoping to join as either a MP or Maritime Enforcement Officer depending on whether I go into the Army, Navy, or Coast Guard and I was thinking that taking courses in a related area would help me out with that. And no, I haven't taken the ASVAB yet. I was debating whether I should go ahead or wait until I was actually ready to enlist.

Small bore pistol and rifle!?! I'm so jealous right now! LOL.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    No disrespect intended to Chris Jones and nwilliams13, but I would take those two recommendations with a grain of salt. It is common practice lately for companies or institutions to have people comb the web and post glowing recommendations for their product and/or services on forums. It gets them into the search results so now when people search on Google for AMU they will find this thread (and others) and will be more likely to sign up after having read positive reviews.

Any positive review you find on a forum for anything that the person posting joined the forum within a day or two of the thread starting, and they post just on that subject and no others, then that person is most likely paid by the institution they are recommending. This is a shady practice that makes me steer away from those products and services. If you have to trick consumers, then your product most likely is inferior.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    No disrespect intended to Chris Jones and nwilliams13, but I would take those two recommendations with a grain of salt. It is common practice lately for companies or institutions to have people comb the web and post glowing recommendations for their product and/or services on forums. It gets them into the search results so now when people search on Google for AMU they will find this thread (and others) and will be more likely to sign up after having read positive reviews.

Any positive review you find on a forum for anything that the person posting joined the forum within a day or two of the thread starting, and they post just on that subject and no others, then that person is most likely paid by the institution they are recommending. This is a shady practice that makes me steer away from those products and services. If you have to trick consumers, then your product most likely is inferior.
    Yeah, those two made me raise my eyebrows also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links