man deer hunting in alaska charged by giant grizzly, SCARY!!

This is a discussion on man deer hunting in alaska charged by giant grizzly, SCARY!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Published: July 26, 2006 10:00 am Fourteen-foot grizzly killed in Alaska By D.A. Ray, outdoor correspondent The Sun Deer hunting is one of the major ...

Thread: man deer hunting in alaska charged by giant grizzly, SCARY!!

man deer hunting in alaska charged by giant grizzly, SCARY!!

Published: July 26, 2006 10:00 am

Fourteen-foot grizzly killed in Alaska

By D.A. Ray, outdoor correspondent
    The Sun

Deer hunting is one of the major seasons in Oklahoma. What would you do if you were doing just that and a huge bear charges you? An employee of the U.S. Forest Service in Alaska recently faced just that scenario. Although it was not bear season in the Last Frontier State, he was justified in killing the bear in self defense.

He was out deer hunting when a large grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy emptied his 7mm Magnum semi-automatic rifle into the bear, and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and shot it several times in the head.

The big bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds. It stood 12 feet, six inches high at the shoulder and 14 feet to the top of his head. It is the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world. Just imagine an animal of these proportions charging straight at you with nothing but hate and destruction in its very being.

The Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let the U.S. Forest Service employee keep the bear as a trophy. It will be stuffed, mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport to remind tourists of the risks involved when in the wild. Hunters who hunt bears in Alaska are also very familiar with the fee associated with taking a trophy bear in addition to the cost of a hunting license. The last price I heard ran in the $3000 range.

The really bizarre part of the story started when the bear was examined by the United States Forest Service. Based on the contents of the bear's stomach, it was established that the bear had killed at least two humans in the 72 hours before its demise which included a missing hiker.

The U.S. Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the hiker's 38 caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol were the remains of the hiker. The other body has not been found.

Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the bear with four of those shots (the Service ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear's body), it only wounded the bear and probably angered it immediately.

The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear's own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker. Think about this: If you are an average size man; you would be level with the bear's navel when he stood upright. The bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours!

To give additional perspective, consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof. It could walk up to a two story house and look in the bedroom windows. Think about what was running through the mind of the U.S. Forest worker when this huge thing was charging.

I have been fortunate enough to go to Alaska about a half dozen times. This trip is always exciting and offers spectacular fishing, scenery, and crisp air. On my first trip to Craig, Alaska, the guide gave me a 44 Magnum pistol and told me that black bears were numerous in the area and to only shoot if one was on top of me. Well, a four hundred pounder showed up across the stream from me and let me tell you, that was an eye opener. Thankfully, the bear was more interested in the salmon than he was of me.

After seeing the story on the 14-foot grizzly, hunters, hikers, and fishermen will be more aware of the potential dangers traveling the wilderness in Alaska. Although I am sure an encounter with a bear this size is very rare, encounters happen just the same.

• Click to discuss this story with other readers on our forums.

Resources

Print this story
    E-mail this story

Discuss this story

More from the Sports section

Babes of gold

MWC Outlaws move to 60-4 on summer

Fourteen-foot grizzly killed in Alaska

Choctaw gets trip to AAA state tournament

2. Remove Ads

That bear would have killed me...I would have had a heart attack

VIP Member

The real story...

The writer in OK is repeating a story circulated on the internet without doing his homework I'm afraid. It took less than 10 minutes for me to verify this information.

Anchorage Daily News reported in December 2001:
    Winnen and three hunting buddies were dropped off on Hinchinbrook Island in the heart of Prince William Sound by an air taxi on a cool, rainy Oct. 14 morning.

Hinchinbrook is a 165-square-mile island near Cordova with an estimated population of about 100 brown bears, giving it the distinction of harboring the highest density of bears of any island in the Sound, according to Dave Crowley, Cordova area wildlife biologist for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. Four to six bears are killed by hunters on the island every year, though rarely one of more than 400 pounds.

Winnen wasn't there to hunt bear. Instead, he and his hunting buddies packed for a week of hunting for Sitka blacktail deer on the remote, wooded island. Winnen did, however, pick up a permit to shoot a bear just in case.

On day two of the group's hunt, the skies cleared at 8:30 a.m. Winnen and Eielson Staff Sgt. Jim Urban set out to follow a creek bed upstream looking for deer. Urban was carrying a .300-caliber Winchester Magnum. Winnen was carrying his significantly more powerful .338-caliber Winchester Magnum in case a bear crossed their path.

In the creek, they spotted a deep pool with 20 salmon circling.

''By this time, the ... run was over and the salmon were looking pretty nasty,'' Winnen said. ''We started thinking that we were looking at a bear's dinner plate.''

That got Winnen in what he calls ''bear mode.''

The two men continued following the creek upstream until they came to a small island ringed with thick brush. Some end-of-season blueberries clung to the surrounding brush. In the middle of the island was a spruce tree larger than what Winnen could fit his arms around. At the base of the tree were signs that an animal had tried to dig a hole.

About 9:30 a.m., Winnen glanced upstream.

Forty yards away was a big brown bear with all four paws in the creek, flipping over logs looking for salmon.

"He's a shooter," Urban said under his breath.

"So I started getting in the zone," Winnen said. "When I am going to take an animal, I am really concentrating. We racked shells into our guns and took off our packs and left them by the tree."

The hunters moved a few feet upstream. About halfway between them and the bear was a large fallen tree.

"I said, 'When the bear crawls over that log, he will present his vital areas and we'll take him,'" Winnen recalled. "I brought the rifle up to take a shot, but the bear moved over the log like it wasn't there.

"I thought, 'Oh crap.' I didn't have a chance to get a shot off."

As the bear kept coming along the creek, the two hunters momentarily lost sight of him in a thicket, so they retreated back to the big spruce.

"We were sitting there concentrating when, a few seconds later, he pops up right in front of us, about 10 yards away and he was coming toward us," Winnen said. "I don't know if the wind was in our favor or what. We were dressed in camouflage. He might not have seen us."

"I put the scope on him. I wanted to hit him in the chest, but all I seen was nothing but head.

"My partner said, 'Shoot! Shoot!'" Winnen said. "I aimed for his left eye, but the bullet takes an arc and I hit about two inches low in the side of his muzzle and into his brain.

"He buckled backwards and raised his head like he was going to howl at the moon, but nothing came out,'' Winnen said. ''I put two more rounds in the vital area, then three more after that. Six total."

"It was amazing"

"We watched for a few minutes, I reloaded and Jim brought his gun up on him," Winnen said. "I approached from the rear and poked him in the butt to see if he was going to jump, but he didn't move. He was dead."

"It was amazing when I got close to him," Winnen said.

"I picked up the paw and it was like, 'good God.' The thing was as wide as my chest."

After the kill, Winnen and Urban spent six hours skinning the bear — and trying to drag its hide and skull back to the Forest Service cabin they had rented.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

That is a lot of bear. And worse, that is a lot of ANGRY bear. I agree with raysheen, that sucker would have scared me to death.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I think I might have outrun it, it would have been slipping in my s*** and never been able to get any traction.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Even then, Scott... That's a ******* thing. Makes me wanna CC a 30-06.... lol
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member
    Yep. No small bear for sure. The young gents were pretty well prepared for it though. A 300 Win Mag and a 338 are probably good enough. Imagine if they had somehow thought a handgun would be enough? I know guys going in the woods with bear that think a 357 or 44 is just fine for a big bruin.

I am disappointed that the outdoor writer for the paper in OK didn't bother to fact check his story though. He could have invested 10 minutes for the cut and paste job he did. It only took 10 minutes because this was posted here last year IIRC and I checked here before looking elaewhere.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

tim
    Scott,

Thank you, I've heard various versions of this story for quite some time now. Basically, he was hunting sitka deer, and an opportunity presented itself.

It's still a mighty big bear, regardless of what internet legend has to say about it. I certainly would be proud having it hanging on my wall.

Tim

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    No kiddin, Scott. I do a lot of camping/backpacking/hiking here. Normally, in this area, you'll be fine with a .40 but I wouldn't take anything smaller. We've got some mountain lions, coyotes, random trash from Phoenix that wanders up here into the hills. Up north of here we have had reports of bears and I wouldn't want to run the risk of somehow running the risk of tee-ing off an Elk somehow, either.

At least those boys were smart about what they were bringing with them.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Assistant Administrator
    Sure sounds like work for 7mm Mag, or even better .375 H&H - seems handgun rounds would just tick off this large of a large beast.

Can't help wondering where .454 Casull or a top load .460 would stand - sounds enough but - well, not so sure.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

thats the one that runs with the pics and the story about a dead guy being eaten poor work on the writer's behalf

Big bear for sure 44 mag at least to try to take something like that 454 would get er done so would 460

VIP Member
    I went to the article at the Sun site and the first response pegged it as an internet legend. The second was from a former newpaper man who said that it was a firing offense.

I just checked and the story is no longer showing on the website, but there was not retraction showing either. i call it just plain stupid to accept a story from whereever and not take the few seconds necessary to check it out. I took less than a minute to find and discover that it was a hoax. I have Snopes in my favorites. I clicked on that and typed grizzly bear in the search box. It was the second story listed.

I just decided to go and use the search box on the Sun site. I put in grizzly bear and got no hits.
    Last edited by dr_cmg; July 27th, 2006 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Checked again.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Shoot-Schmoot! Casull-Schmull!

Just tell the dudes with you:

"DON'T WORRY! I DON'T HAVE TO OUTRUN THE BEAR, I ONLY HAVE TO OUTRUN YOU!!!!"

This One is True - Happened to Me

I moved the Alaska bear pictures that were posted here to a separate thread.
    Last edited by MountainMan; July 30th, 2006 at 01:08 AM.
    MountainMan - Dave

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Assistant Administrator
    Amazing pics Dave - great to see them again - well worth sharing as of course few if any others here will have enjoyed them.

Two URL's had a space in so no display - corrected that so they now all show well.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links