Benny Hill security checks for those old enough to remember

This is a discussion on Benny Hill security checks for those old enough to remember within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok the airport security checks are really ridiculous. Prior to 9/11, I and my squad came back from an exercise in S. Korea. We had ...

Thread: Benny Hill security checks for those old enough to remember

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!

Ok the airport security checks are really ridiculous. Prior to 9/11, I and my squad came back from an exercise in S. Korea. We had a plaque to present to the squadron that incorporated two 6” plastic M-16’s. We were not allowed to hand carry it onto the aircraft. The crew had to keep it safe in a locked luggage area (so we could not take over the aircraft).

After 9/11 my 8 year old nephew was stopped and they were not going to let him board the aircraft because he had toy plastic army men in his carry on (the 3” molded plastic type).

About 2 years ago I had to go to a business meeting in Georgia (the State) and when I got to my hotel room and unpacked my laptop bag. I found a 3 oz. bottle of OC spray that I had forgotten was in my bag.

I guess if the OC spray had been plastic army men they would have stopped me. Don’t get me wrong I do understand the need for the security checks, but sometimes they remind me of the old Benny Hill skit. Where the ugly older woman who is dripping with weapons is passed through the inspection and the beautiful babe is strip searched.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    OMG

I love Benny Hill. You can still catch him on the BBC channel, I think.

That reminds me of Airplane (the movie) when they stopped the old lady for setting off the metal Detector and them let the next half dozen Rambo equipped people through.

I think it was the second Airplane movie when they were selling bombs at the snack bar.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    Those were both good. Benny Hill was great late night entertainment.

At least the rules were recently laxed to my understanding so that things like nail clippers are "OK".

On my recent trip, I loved the signs at the start of the security checkpoints that clearly said you couldn't carry on "car batteries", "leaf blowers", "swords" and other stuff that just makes you think... someone must have tried this at some time for there to be a rule.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

It is comical to see someone strain at a gnat and swallow a camel.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight
    On my recent trip, I loved the signs at the start of the security checkpoints that clearly said you couldn't carry on "car batteries", "leaf blowers", "swords" and other stuff that just makes you think... someone must have tried this at some time for there to be a rule.
    My wife's really pretty, so security can watch her and I can carry my trusty leaf blower along with me.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight
    Those were both good. Benny Hill was great late night entertainment.

At least the rules were recently laxed to my understanding so that things like nail clippers are "OK".

In the 70's I flew a lot in Alaska. Saw the flight attendants helping someone stow a carry-on Toilet in three boxes. Another flight I saw a caribou rack with every point covered with a cork and duct tape that someone was carrying on.

If you think it is strange in the "lower 48" it might just be routine in Alaska.

Where else would you see someone tie 2 X 4's between the floats of a float-plane, load plywood on top of them, and then take off for a lake in the "bush" where they are building a cabin. The last one I saw do it ended up in the trees about 3 miles from Lake Hood (Anchorage). Got to love Alaskan initiative.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

Administrator

Talking

Wasn't there a flight attendant that was beaten to death with a G.I. JOE about 4 years ago.

YOU know how dangerous those MILITARY toys are.

benny hill and the airplane movies are great

Administrator

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    An old boss and friend of mine in the security field refers to airport security as "Little Old Lady Security", because all it does is make Little Old Ladies feel secure, and doesn't really do anything.

The list of things that are flat out prohibited is bizarre, and what is allowed is equally strange.

My wife is also quite attractive, has looks just like her Northern European heritage, and gets pulled for the increased security screening all the time. I look like a grey haired angry white male, check guns and minimize carry ons - I've never been pulled for the increased screening except the one time I was travelling with her...

Sponsored Links