Need computer advice

This is a discussion on Need computer advice within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am looking at buying a new laptop computer. I am mainly interested in something to use for internet, Microsoft Office stuff, and email, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need computer advice

Need computer advice

I am looking at buying a new laptop computer. I am mainly interested in something to use for internet, Microsoft Office stuff, and email, and perhaps some other tasks like streaming movies and stuff. What I am trying to figure out is how much computer do I need?

I'm on a budget so the cheaper the better. I was looking at a Toshiba and a Lenovo at Best Buy but I don't know if they are a good deal or not.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I don't sweat brand names. They all will drop a lemon here and there.

Get at least 4 Gig of memory - Microsoft's OS is a bloated monster these days. Make sure it has a CD drive if you don't have access to one (many of the little sexy machines have no peripherals at all) and don't pay more than $600.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    724'S advice is good advice. I buy everything for our corporate at: PCs For Everyone : Custom Computers - Desktops, Notebooks, and Servers

You can also buy Toshiba, which are good machines, directly online at the Toshiba store and save some money over Best Buy.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    If you have a few weeks until you have to purchase, check the weekly ads for a few weeks from the main tech stores in your area. Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, Radio Shack, etc. Eventually one of them will have a brand name with Dual Core processor, 2-4GB of RAM, 160GB+ hard drive, a DVD Burner, and Windows Home Premium for $300-450. That should be everything you need in a PC for several years at your usage. If you were a gamer, you'd want bigger and pay much more. I do this every time I buy electronics and always get a good price on great PCs and laptops, peripherals etc.

If time is a concern and none of those have a decent PC within your price range, try online at TigerDirect.com or NewEgg.com. I have used both of those stores in the past and have had nothing but good things happen with them.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

For basic computing needs like yours, a cheap laptop from Wally World is sufficient. I'd recommend at least 2 gigs of ram (no real need for 4, if it's running windows 7). I've run Office 2010 on an older laptop with only 512 mb of ram, and it worked fine. No need to go overboard, unless you plan on doing some gaming or graphics design.

I agree. Don't spend a ton of money on the newest processor and most memory. I run Windows 7 on a 4 year old laptop with 2 gig of RAM and have not problems at all. The most intensive application I run is Adobe Lightroom and it is not too slow to use.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

For the uses you listed you could save several bucks by running AMD processors rather than Intel as well, a bit more power hungry but if your not going to use it on battery for long periods that won't come into play.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

If you just need a general purpose computer, then I would get one from Best Buy (assuming it's local). And be sure to get an extended warranty of some sort. The great thing about purchasing from a local Best Buy is the servicing aspect. I recently bought a laptop from Best Buy. The hard drive died, so I just took it back to the store and they did all the work (sent it out, etc). Plus, when you deal with a local store, you can go in and talk to a LIVING person face to face - which beats the phone Hell that most manufacturers will put you through should you have a need to call.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    For the uses you listed you could save several bucks by running AMD processors rather than Intel as well, a bit more power hungry but if your not going to use it on battery for long periods that won't come into play.
    I'd have to advise against AMD. Never had good experiences with those. Get an Intel i3, or i5 if you feel you need the extra juice for anything. Both are fairly affordable, and I can run a heck of a lot of stuff on my bottom of the line i5. Also, check on ebay. You can get some good deals on nice used laptops, especially if they don't have an OS, which is easy enough to install yourself. I picked up a nice Dell Studio 1764 for $400 that way. That's about the price you'd pay for a basic Wally World laptop, and a lot better quality. Just a thought, if you're tech savvy enough to set it up yourself.

I prefer apple products a and use a macbook on a daily basis. I do however own a two year old Toshiba that wasn't very high end in the day and have it running Windows 7. Runs fine!

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    "for internet, Microsoft Office stuff, and email, and perhaps some other tasks like streaming movies and stuff"
    I think even the most basic laptop will handle all that and more. Heck, even a modern cell phone is 'enough computer' to do that stuff.

If that's really all you want to do with it (sounds reasonable) then I wouldn't spend more than $400. Make sure the battery life is adequate, though. I certainly would not ever buy an extended warranty on an electronic device that will be obsolete in 3 years. Better to put the money in savings...

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    0578F7U lenovo from J&R
    does everything for $540. was sale price, but call them.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    I think even the most basic laptop will handle all that and more. Heck, even a modern cell phone is 'enough computer' to do that stuff.

If that's really all you want to do with it (sounds reasonable) then I wouldn't spend more than $400. Make sure the battery life is adequate, though. I certainly would not ever buy an extended warranty on an electronic device that will be obsolete in 3 years. Better to put the money in savings...
    Ya, spend that money on a good anti-virus (I like Norton and Kaspersky, myself) instead of a warranty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links