Urban Beach Week: LEOs kill man after several attempted murders; 4 in crowd wounded

This is a discussion on Urban Beach Week: LEOs kill man after several attempted murders; 4 in crowd wounded within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Miami Beach leaders to discuss fate of Urban Beach Week after shootings - Miami Beach - MiamiHerald.com A YouTube video that captured the shooting — ...

Thread: Urban Beach Week: LEOs kill man after several attempted murders; 4 in crowd wounded

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Urban Beach Week: LEOs kill man after several attempted murders; 4 in crowd wounded

Miami Beach leaders to discuss fate of Urban Beach Week after shootings - Miami Beach - MiamiHerald.com

A YouTube video that captured the shooting — which led one activist to call South Beach a “warzone” — showed officers approaching the stalled car with guns drawn before unleashing a hail of gunfire into the vehicle. Police did not discover a weapon, but said they are investigating unconfirmed reports that shots came from the car and that passengers were in the vehicle and bailed out.

Four bystanders were shot, and police chief Carlos Noriega acknowledged that they may have been shot by officers.

Police Confiscate Cell Phone Cameras After Shooting Unarmed Man On Miami Beach | Pixiq

Minutes after Miami Beach police fired an endless barrage of bullets into an unarmed man over the weekend, a police officer ran up to a witness who had been recording the incident on his cell phone camera and snatched it from him.

Narces Benoit gave CBS12 the following account:

"He didn't say nothing. He just snatched me by my head and threw me on the ground and stepped on my back, threw it on the floor, stepped on it and was cussing me out the whole time," said Benoit.

Benoit said the officer confiscated cell phone cameras from other witnesses as well.
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 1st, 2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Make title a little more truthful.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

*** is with the treatment of the bystanders and stealing their cameras. Someone has some explaining to do if this is reported accurate...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    Just pointing out key elements of the story left out of the OP.

Business owners, police, activists and residents have been abuzz since early Monday morning, when officers shot and killed the driver of a car that allegedly struck a Hialeah officer, then led police on a three-block chase down Collins Avenue, crashing into cars, running up on the sidewalk and nearly crushing bicycle officers before skidding to a stop at 13th Street.
    Miami Beach police brass was mum on the shootings Tuesday. They have yet to release the names of any of the 12 officers involved in the shootings, the three injured officers, the slain driver, four wounded bystanders, and the man arrested in the second shooting on Washington Avenue.

Read more: Miami Beach leaders to discuss fate of Urban Beach Week after shootings - Miami Beach - MiamiHerald.com
    However, four innocent bystanders were shot during the fist incident, most likely by police gunfire because the suspect ended up not having a gun, even though initial reports stated that he had been shooting out his window while driving.
    You have to judge people with the information known at the time of the incident. You cannot Monday morning quarterback people with the benefit of hindsight.
    Also, pixiq bloggers are hardly a credible news source.

Lets take a look at a little more credible news source;

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/mia...,6075442.story

Three police officers are in the hospital Monday after emptying several rounds of bullets on a driver who opened fire on South Beach.

The driver was killed; four bystanders were injured
    Police believe the shooting erupted when the driver got into a fight with a police officer.

There have been reports that there were other people in his car who escaped, but police have not confirmed that yet
    After officers set up a perimeter in the heart of South Beach, there was a second shooting on 14th Street and Washington Avenue.

The driver of a grey Mercedes drove into the sectioned-off area and accelerated toward a police officer
    Now, here is a video taken by a guy who was watching the chaos from his apartment balcony. The most telling evidence is the guys commentary. Keep in mind, he is relating to the female what he has just watched with his own eyes, not what some blogger said happened or what was on the news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDs-Wp_TN2c
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 1st, 2011 at 01:08 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The LEO saved the taxpayers much money and saved lives in the process.

VIP Member
    It will be interesting to see how this pans out. If reports that the driver did not have a gun and cell phones were stolen/destroyed pan out, this will not go down so well for the cops. Waiting for more info.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Thank goodness no one else was killed. The driver could have ditched his gun during the chase. Thanks Sixto for the added info. It's amazing how easily we can jump to conclusions based on incomplete knowledge. The same aplies to interjecting yourself into confrontations. Stud player's axiom..."When you don't know everything, you don't know anything!"

Rumsfeld's corrolary: "You don't know what you don't know."
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Just pointing out key elements of the story left out of the OP.
    I'm not concerned with how the officers dealt with the threat. It seems fairly clear there was a major threat and they did what needed to be done. My only issue was if the report of the bystander/witness with the camera phone being attacked afterward and having his phone confiscated.
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 1st, 2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: just changed quoted portion to reflect edit; content was not altered

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I'm not concerned with how the officers dealt with the threat. It seems fairly clear there was a major threat and they did what needed to be done. My only issue was if the report of the bystander/witness with the camera phone being attacked afterward and having his phone confiscated.
    I have an issue too if somebody was attacked to retrieve evidence. The retrieving of evidence I have no issue with. I have to take into consideration the source on that portion of the story though, considering its a blogger with a history. I also have to take into consideration the man's claims when there were obviously cameras rolling all over the place. It would be impossible for some vast right wing conspiracy to police up all the potential video that exists, as is evident in the youtube posting.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I have an issue too if somebody was attacked to retrieve evidence. The retrieving of evidence I have no issue with. I have to take into consideration the source on that portion of the story though, considering its a blogger with a history. I also have to take into consideration the man's claims when there were obviously cameras rolling all over the place. It would be impossible for some vast right wing conspiracy to police up all the potential video that exists, as is evident in the youtube posting.
    Agreed. It looks like there's a bit more info although it seems at the end of this story the "witnesses" blows a hole in their own testimony...
    Eyewitness to Miami Beach shooting alleges police misconduct - CNN.com
    I'm still concerned as to how that "evidence" was acquired and I'm guessing with all the video floating around and the eventual court proceedings it will all come out. The hiding of the memory chip thing if true though is ...well...what it is. Benoit is claiming he slipped the memory chip from the phone into his mouth before they confiscated and smashed the phone.

Although then there's this gem:
    Benoit and Davis criticized the police for the number of shots they fired, in the presence of numerous bystanders.

"We could have been killed," said Davis. "They were shooting so long, you could hear their guns clicking on empty, but they kept pulling the trigger," she said. "I think that's excessive."
    And you would know how many shots it takes to deal with an active threat how exactly? I'm not even going to try to touch the guns clicking on empty comment.

-The Mist (2007)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The police will take your cell phone because it might have evidence in the form of video. Then they destroy it. Seems counterproductive to me. And this isn't the only time we've heard of this happening.

Hmmm, why would anyone want to destroy video of their actions? Because they think they've done something wrong? Certainly not because they already have too many "Officer of the Month" awards. I hate to say it but it seems suspicious.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I can understand Officers firing in SD,but when they have rounds that injure 4 bystanders,at what point do they become more of a threat to public safetyIOW We got the BG, yeah but you shot 4 innocent people,yeah but we got the Bad Guy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I can understand Officers firing in SD,but when they have rounds that injure 4 bystanders,at what point do they become more of a threat to public safetyIOW We got the BG, yeah but you shot 4 innocent people,yeah but we got the Bad Guy
    SO how much did killing the career criminal save the taxpayers? I know if I was shot as a bystander my lawyer would make sure I was not working ever again at the taxpayers expense. Know your target but know what is beyond. I know in the heat of the moment you may not have that option but it is an important part of gun safety.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Links