'War on Drugs' a "failure" - says new report

This is a discussion on 'War on Drugs' a "failure" - says new report within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 'War on Drugs' a "failure" - says new report by: Global Commission on Drug Policy. Here's the report . Yes, I'm well aware this is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 'War on Drugs' a "failure" - says new report

'War on Drugs' a "failure" - says new report by: Global Commission on Drug Policy. Here's the report.

Yes, I'm well aware this is primarily a gun and defense related forum. But IMHO much of the violence that we are exposed to is a direct result of the so-called 'war on drugs'. Thus I think this topic fits appropriately into our defensive discussions (but if I'm in error, then moderators, do your thing).

The report begins by saying: "The global war on drugs has failed, with disastrous consequences for individuals and societies around the world." The report especially criticizes the USA, saying we should modify our anti-drug policies from anti-crime to policies rooted in health care and human rights.

Hell yeah - I agree 1,000,000%! This is all good stuff, and while many may not agree, at least we are having a serious discussion. A new paradigm needs to be instituted with regards to recreational drug use. It will likely make us all safer.

And the Global Commission on Drug Policy is NOT a bunch of dope-smoking hippies. Check out the commissioners list on page 3, I'm sure you'll see some names you recognize.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member
    And in other headlines:

The Sun Rose in the East
    Water is Wet
    Gravity Still Works

:)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Yup, you'll find many here who have felt this way for a while. The awareness among the general awareness is growing as well.

The time for modern prohibition to end has been delayed for far too long, with lots of blood and money lost, as well as liberty. Remember the NFA came about as an indirect/direct consequence of alcohol prohibition. Think about how many other liberties we've had denied due to the war on drugs.

Future history will judge us poorly for continuing this "war" for as long as we have, but what's done is done. We have a chance to stop it now. And hey, at least with alcohol prohibition, they at least bothered to do it legally. They never bothered making any constitutional amendments for the current war. Such arrogance and disregard for our principles.

I also firmly believe ending the war would also do a great amount to stabilize many Central and South American countries. Tired of illegals from the South? A stable Mexico wouldn't provide as much of an incentive to flee to the US. You could finally be ok with your kids visiting Mexico for spring break again. Our side of the planet could become a much more powerful economic force to be reckoned with, in order to offset China.

Al Qaeda also makes a good amount of money from the illegal drug trade.

I think something like 54% of americans believe marijuana should be legal and most believe drugs should be decrimilized. But politicians dont listens to the general populace in america do they
    Chevy-SS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Keisukekun View Post
    I think something like 54% of americans believe marijuana should be legal and most believe drugs should be decrimilized. But politicians dont listens to the general populace in america do they
    I'm kinda surprised that the percentage would be that high. I would think the only people that want to see marijuana legalized would be the users. Also, what is the logic in making other drugs legal and are you talking about meth, cocaine, heroin, etc. The users of these drugs still have to get it. Are they all going to go out and get jobs so that they can but it legally. I would guess no. They are still going to commit crimes for their drug money so I don't see a positive there. All we are likely to see is a bunch more dope heads wandering around higher than a kite. How does this help society in general?

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    And in other headlines:

The Sun Rose in the East
    Water is Wet
    Gravity Still Works

:)
    Beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by ldmtulsa View Post
    I'm kinda surprised that the percentage would be that high. I would think the only people that want to see marijuana legalized would be the users. Also, what is the logic in making other drugs legal and are you talking about meth, cocaine, heroin, etc. The users of these drugs still have to get it. Are they all going to go out and get jobs so that they can but it legally. I would guess no. They are still going to commit crimes for their drug money so I don't see a positive there. All we are likely to see is a bunch more dope heads wandering around higher than a kite. How does this help society in general?
    I wouldn't have any problem with weed being legal, and I don't do any drugs. I think the whole drug argument is honestly very similar to the guns argument. Freedom is freedom. Guns are bad in some context, and so are drugs, but why would I care if anybody wants to have either?

I'm a recovering addict,20 years clean next month,Even if they legalized drugs,Marijuana dulls your senses and slows reaction times etc.at least with alcohol there are many ways to detect its use and test for amounts in system.I would not want somebody operating machinery or heavy equipment next to me that is under the influence.Then there are the "harder" drugs like Cocaine,Heroin,Methamphetamine,Oxycontin etc.Even if you legalise these,are you going to dispense them freely?Most heavy drug users I've known and meet aren't capable of holding down a job,and once addicted and their usage skypckets they will do almost anything to get a fix.Were not talking about a 20.00 or 50.00 a day habit,were talking Habits that run several hundred dollars a day.Even If they could hold down a job I don't know any fast food joint that pays $300.00 a day,so where do you think they will go to get the money,same place they do now,Commit crimes
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Can some body let me know when the popcorn is ready?

I will say one thing there aren't too many people that just smoke pot that commit crimes,but the Drug Cartels would still be smuggling Cocaine,Meth,and Heroin since they are big money makers,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would think the only people that want to see marijuana legalized would be the users.
    A guy I knew got busted for dealing small amounts of marijuana and got several years in a California prison. The person who emerged from that experience was unrecognizable as the person who went in. What an utter waste of a life. He certainly wasn't "reformed" by his incarceration - far from it. He was henceforth a hardened, mean ex-con.

So what's the payoff to society here? The guy's chances of getting a school loan, or a decent job, are zeroed out. We manufactured a serious criminal. And multiply that by a few hundred thousand. Paid for with citizen tax dollars that will have to also be spent on the criminal justice system and the cycle goes round and round.

Also - we really do need a serious, intelligent discussion of US drug policy. Right now we pretty much equate the casual marijuana user with a heroin addict, when it's obvious that these are not equal things. And the drug trade statistics suggest that the number of recreational drug users is quite large - and the number of crazed criminal addicts is fairly low.

So we should treat the recreational drug problem as a victimless crime, and treat the addiction issue as a public health matter. Only when there is incident crime against persons or property should the criminal justice system be employed.

Then there's the economic argument. Simply put, we just can't afford this crap anymore. How's your state doing lately? Most are cash-strapped. It costs, what, $50,000 per inmate per year to lock people up? And the cost of prosecution? Clogged courts. Overcrowded prisons. And finally ex-cons who are a burden on society.

I've gone overlong, so I'll close by saying that there are no easy answers here, but it's manifest that our current "war on drugs" is a total and abject failure.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Politicians without a cause = No excuse to spend money
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I would never carte blanche legalize all drugs, but anyone who thinks the war on drugs is working or is a good idea has there head up their...

The war on drugs has eroded our civil liberties day by day. Our police forces are militarized in their present day form because of this so called war.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by ldmtulsa View Post
    Something needs to change cause the way it is just not working at all. When something is illegal it simply drives the problem underground and makes more problems example is teh prohibition. If you look at Amsterdam they have much lower rates of addiction and much lower rates of drug related deaths

RKM
    Despite the other illegal drugs, if marijuana, which is the least harmful, but most common drug was legal, most of this would be solved. Besides, I don't see marijuana being any different than alcohol in anyway..... at all. In fact it's less harmful to your body and less harmful to your mind (not to say it's not harmful at all). Not to mention, it's not physically addicting. It's the same addiction one would have to potato chips.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links