Interesting news from our friends across the pond...

This is a discussion on Interesting news from our friends across the pond... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just glad guys like this are on our team. Don't want to get on this guys bad side... Gurkha Cpl Dipprasad Pun honoured by Queen ...

Thread: Interesting news from our friends across the pond...

Interesting news from our friends across the pond...

Just glad guys like this are on our team. Don't want to get on this guys bad side...

Gurkha Cpl Dipprasad Pun honoured by Queen after killing 30 Taliban | Metro.co.uk

Gurkha Cpl Dipprasad Pun honoured by Queen after killing 30 Taliban
    Cpl Pun was awarded the medal, second only to the Victoria Cross, at an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace.

Afterwards, the 31-year-old said: ‘This will be a great memory for the future.’

Cpl Pun fired more than 400 rounds, launched 17 grenades and detonated a mine to thwart the Taliban assault on his checkpoint near Babaji in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan, last September.

At one point, after exhausting all his ammunition, Cpl Pun, from 1st Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles, used the tripod of his machine gun to beat away a militant who was climbing the walls of the compound.

Speaking about his bravery, Cpl Dun said: ‘I thought I was definitely going to die so I thought I’d kill as many of them as I could before they killed me.’
    Another article on the same incident(this one CNN)
    Soldier cited for holding off up to 30 Taliban by himself – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs
    Pun's actions saved the lives of three fellow soldiers at the checkpoint and were the "bravest seen in his battalion over two hard tours in Afghanistan," according to his medal citation.

Pun was not wounded in the firefight.

“That he survived unscathed is simply incredible
    ," his medal citation says. “Throughout Dip’s actions he was under almost constant intense fire. Dip’s courage and gallantry were simply astonishing."
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

It's not the size or numbers of dogs in the fight,but the size of the fight in the dog,Soldiers don't fight to get a medal,Soldiers fight to save their buddies and non combatants lives,if they live thru it thats just icing on the cake
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Wow. This guys is pretty amazing. The story reads like that old joke where "Uncle Jim" armed with a rifle, pistol, knife and a bottle of whiskey takes down a entire battalion killing the last few with his bare hands only to end with the punchline, "Don't mess with Uncle Jim when he's been drinking"
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

The Gurkha's of India have a long history of being vicious fighters and, this guy, no exception.

Glad to see someone honoured him for his bravery.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Administrator
    Yes, the Gurkha's do have a interesting history. Wasnt there a story here about one who killed a bunch of gang members trying to rape a girl a few years ago?
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, the Gurkha's do have a interesting history. Wasnt there a story here about one who killed a bunch of gang members trying to rape a girl a few years ago?
    Yes. It was on a train during a robbery by 30 or 40 BGs. He killed 7 and wounded 19 with his Kukri knife, IIRC

Like this one

Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Gurkhas are legendary. Supposedly he had to use his tripod because he couldn't find his kukri. All the same, though.

Links