A little work-out inspiration

This is a discussion on A little work-out inspiration within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For my fellow DC'ers who are approaching or past middle age, we sometimes reminisce about past gone days of greater athleticism and strength. Sometimes all ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GunGeezer
  • 1 Post By Guantes

Thread: A little work-out inspiration

VIP Member

For my fellow DC'ers who are approaching or past middle age, we sometimes reminisce about past gone days of greater athleticism and strength. Sometimes all we can do is stay faithful to our work-out regimen, and keep lightening the weight a little as the years pile on.

But not always. One day when you've done your work-out regimen, you're exhausted, hot, feeling a little light-headed and about to puke? Take a moment to gather yourself. Ask yourself is that what your limit really is. Remind yourself of who you are, what you stand for, and why it matters. Then suck it all up and go again. At about the second or third rep (if you haven't passed out ;-), you notice that your head clears and that suddenly you feel fresh and strong. It's the fabled Second Wind and your getting it full strength! You blast through your set and even two more warm-down sets. You feel young again. You allow your vanity to look in the mirror, and you even look young(er) again. You've reminded yourself once again that your limits are far beyond what you think they are, and that you're still willing to put up your best fight.

Go get some.

What if you're old enough that you get your second wind while putting on your sweat socks to go work out?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    What if you're old enough that you get your second wind while putting on your sweat socks to go work out?
    LOL. We all have our limits, and on somedays that is mine as well.

A man has got to know his limits...I used to, but I forgot what they are...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    But not always. One day when you've done your work-out regimen, you're exhausted, hot, feeling a little light-headed and about to puke?

Quickly go to the medicine cabinet and take an aspirin then call 911. You have all the symptoms of an impending heart attack!
    cammo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    For my fellow DC'ers who are approaching or past middle age, we sometimes reminisce about past gone days of greater athleticism and strength. Sometimes all we can do is stay faithful to our work-out regimen, and keep lightening the weight a little as the years pile on.

But not always. One day when you've done your work-out regimen, you're exhausted, hot, feeling a little light-headed and about to puke? Take a moment to gather yourself. Ask yourself is that what your limit really is. Remind yourself of who you are, what you stand for, and why it matters. Then suck it all up and go again. At about the second or third rep (if you haven't passed out ;-), you notice that your head clears and that suddenly you feel fresh and strong. It's the fabled Second Wind and your getting it full strength! You blast through your set and even two more warm-down sets. You feel young again. You allow your vanity to look in the mirror, and you even look young(er) again. You've reminded yourself once again that your limits are far beyond what you think they are, and that you're still willing to put up your best fight.

Go get some.
    You sure those are 'roids you're injecting?

j/k power to ya, I really need to get off my brains and change my shape from round to rectangle.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Personally, I have accepted the declining capabilities that come with age. That does not imply that I do not attempt to remain close to the capabilities that my age allows. It is wise to keep in mind that with age, things break or get screwed up easier and take longer to heal. One thing often overlooked with age is flexibility. I spend as much time on flexibility as on other conditioning areas.
    surefire7 likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

My workout now consists of breathing, blinking, eating, digesting, eliminating, man, I'm getting tired just thinking about all I'm doing at any one time.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I would consider weight training to be an important aspect of self defense. Size and strength can be valuable tools. I spend a lot of time in gyms, and most people are doing it wrong. Full depth squats, deadlifts, and major pressing and pulling movements can do wonders.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Personally, I have accepted the declining capabilities that come with age. That does not imply that I do not attempt to remain close to the capabilities that my age allows. It is wise to keep in mind that with age, things break or get screwed up easier and take longer to heal. One thing often overlooked with age is flexibility. I spend as much time on flexibility as on other conditioning areas.
    That's right sir. I spend as much time as possible working on flexibility. Casting a surf rod and swinging a golf club are excellent excercises for keeping flexable. Yeah the Body Solid machine is still in the den but a few less plates are being used now and maybe a few less sets and reps. Good God man I'm retired.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    But not always. One day when you've done your work-out regimen, you're exhausted, hot, feeling a little light-headed and about to puke?

Quickly go to the medicine cabinet and take an aspirin then call 911. You have all the symptoms of an impending heart attack!

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Some sage advice above. Clearly this is not how I work out everyday, nor could any normal human being. However, I do like to push the envelope every now and then, and my cardio reflects that. I may very well drop dead someday doing it, but I don't mind going out like that.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    You sure those are 'roids you're injecting?

j/k power to ya, I really need to get off my brains and change my shape from round to rectangle.
    You're a mean, jealous person, Joker. Whec stays roid-free.

Sponsored Links