Adjusting to Night Shifts

This is a discussion on Adjusting to Night Shifts within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just had a quick thought... maybe you should avoid caffeine....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Adjusting to Night Shifts

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I just had a quick thought... maybe you should avoid caffeine.

2. Remove Ads

I work nights as well. Stay up as late as you can the night before you go to work, and stay awake as long as you can when you come home the morning of your last day. The reason this works is that for me it is easier to stay up all night not working than staying up all night for the first night that I have to start my work week. It's even harder when you only work p/t at night.

Clear as mud?
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

I hated working graveyard. Worked it for 5 years back in the early 90's. been lucky ever since.

Night shift sucks and I don't think your body ever truly gets used to it . Eventually it just becomes a little more bearable. So hard to take care of other every day things when you work 3 rd shift.
    http://www.gunmerchantaccount.com
    Firearms Dealer Merchant Services

Once you learn to sleep in the day, you never un-learn it. Also if you MUST be up on your day off after being awake all night, well you get used to that too. When I worked graveyard I wasn't "tired" until I was seriously sleep-deprived. I remember one day I had to get gas after work and I couldn't figure out why the pump wouldn't work coz ya hafta pre-pay first. Yeah, I was THAT tired. Fortunately that day I did get to go home and sleep. Black out curtains are your BEST friend. If you don't mind looking redneck, tin foil and duct tape on the window will produce the same effect.
    Places like banks and feed stores and such have strict day-time hours, so if I get off at 7am I have to stay up to go those places and yes, it's heck.
    It seemed to help a little if I would get up a little early and take my dog for a walk before work. You know, get your blood pumping and all that. Regular people do it at 6am, night people do it at 8pm. heh

Unfortunately you can't call the cops on your neighbors for mowing/chainsawing/using a backhoe practically in your back yard during the middle of the day. However the best cure for the loud music people was to buy a bigger stereo yourself, open the windows and crank it up. Yes, guilty as charged, but it worked. You could also pick up a rooster or two to serenade them every morning at 5am. That REALLY worked.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links