Need help with computer!!

This is a discussion on Need help with computer!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not sure about Gateway but Dells have a diagnostics partition/utility that you access by hitting F2 at power on/POST. You might check and see if ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with computer!!

Not sure about Gateway but Dells have a diagnostics partition/utility that you access by hitting F2 at power on/POST. You might check and see if your gateway has the same so you can run a full diag on your system.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It needs the proper accessory config.
    correct computer desk.jpg
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Don't know whats wrong with it. Now when I power it on, the screen stays black. Almost as if the monitor wasn't even hooked up. I tested the monitor on another computer and it works.

It seems like in the last 24 hours it when from blue screen, to disc read error, to black only screen.

It could be anything from a bad cable to bios settings to a bad cpu. It's really tough to know without having the computer to work with. I'd start with the cables though, since it's the cheapest route. The other option would be to install windows XP to a flash drive and try to boot from that. If that works, you should be able to install a fresh copy of Vista from there. As far as HDD's, look on ebay. I've found some really nice high capacity hard drives for under $50.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    Don't know whats wrong with it. Now when I power it on, the screen stays black. Almost as if the monitor wasn't even hooked up. I tested the monitor on another computer and it works.

It seems like in the last 24 hours it when from blue screen, to disc read error, to black only screen.
    That sounds like it's the CPU. I'd check and make sure it's seated properly. If it is, then I'd be shooting for a new computer.

How old is the computer? Is your battery on the MB dead? Is it a black screen before or after the POST? Can you get to your BIOS menu?

I would have to disagree spidey, a bad motherboard is more likely if you ask me. Granted, it's mostly dells my company supports, but I've only seen a couple bad processors, but a couple dozen bad mobos.

Also, a bad CMOS battery is unlikely, but you might try popping it out and back in to reset the bios.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    are you a student? there is a $30 copy of Windows 7 Available:
    Windows 7 Professional $29.99 (.edu email required) - Slickdeals.net

There are Linux operating systems that are totally free. The most common is:
    Download | Ubuntu

Some of the troubleshooting and installing is a pain. Find a teenager with lots of pimples and give them $20...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    How old is the computer? Is your battery on the MB dead? Is it a black screen before or after the POST? Can you get to your BIOS menu?
    Can no longer go into any menu. Black screen is instantly when I turn the pc on. I don't know much about MB. I didn't see a battery when I was looking. Should I try and replace it? I never had to replace a battery in a MB and I have owned computers for probably 20 years. Some I have used for over 5 years without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I would have to disagree spidey, a bad motherboard is more likely if you ask me. Granted, it's mostly dells my company supports, but I've only seen a couple bad processors, but a couple dozen bad mobos.

Also, a bad CMOS battery is unlikely, but you might try popping it out and back in to reset the bios.
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    are you a student? there is a $30 copy of Windows 7 Available:
    Windows 7 Professional $29.99 (.edu email required) - Slickdeals.net

There are Linux operating systems that are totally free. The most common is:
    Download | Ubuntu

Some of the troubleshooting and installing is a pain. Find a teenager with lots of pimples and give them $20...
    I read about UBUNTU on another forum. I never had a Linux based system so I am hesitant. I guess I would download a copy, burn to cd, and stick cd in the trouble computer?

No longer a student but my wife finished her masters about 2 years ago. I wonder if her edu email still works?

Hello:

You can download Ubuntu and burn the iso to a cd or dvd.

You may then boot your old pc from the cd or dvd and run linux from the live cd in order to inspect and perform analysis upon your existing pc.

With the live cd/dvd you can salvage files, check read/write capability, verify system functions, network, hardware, etc.

If you find that you like Ubuntu you can select to install from the main boot up menu from the cd or dvd or from within Ubuntu itself.

Download | Ubuntu

If you have any questions about burning an iso please post.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    It needs the proper accessory config.
    correct computer desk.jpg
    How'd you get a picture of my room!

To me, it sounds like a bad motherboard. Since it was having read errors on the hard drive, you would suspect that, but its also having problems reading from the disc drive too, and having multiple parts fail at the same time is unlikely. The motherboard would explain all the problems you are having.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links