Need help with computer!!

This is a discussion on Need help with computer!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not sure about Gateway but Dells have a diagnostics partition/utility that you access by hitting F2 at power on/POST. You might check and see if ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: Need help with computer!!

  1. #16
    Senior Member Array DaRedneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    628
    Not sure about Gateway but Dells have a diagnostics partition/utility that you access by hitting F2 at power on/POST. You might check and see if your gateway has the same so you can run a full diag on your system.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    VIP Member
    Array gunthorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    home office
    Posts
    2,355
    It needs the proper accessory config.
    correct computer desk.jpg
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

    Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

  4. #18
    Member Array joepa150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    472
    Don't know whats wrong with it. Now when I power it on, the screen stays black. Almost as if the monitor wasn't even hooked up. I tested the monitor on another computer and it works.

    It seems like in the last 24 hours it when from blue screen, to disc read error, to black only screen.

  5. #19
    Senior Member Array Spidey2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    887
    It could be anything from a bad cable to bios settings to a bad cpu. It's really tough to know without having the computer to work with. I'd start with the cables though, since it's the cheapest route. The other option would be to install windows XP to a flash drive and try to boot from that. If that works, you should be able to install a fresh copy of Vista from there. As far as HDD's, look on ebay. I've found some really nice high capacity hard drives for under $50.

    ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    Don't know whats wrong with it. Now when I power it on, the screen stays black. Almost as if the monitor wasn't even hooked up. I tested the monitor on another computer and it works.

    It seems like in the last 24 hours it when from blue screen, to disc read error, to black only screen.
    That sounds like it's the CPU. I'd check and make sure it's seated properly. If it is, then I'd be shooting for a new computer.

  6. #20
    Senior Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,133
    How old is the computer? Is your battery on the MB dead? Is it a black screen before or after the POST? Can you get to your BIOS menu?

  7. #21
    VIP Member Array paaiyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,071
    I would have to disagree spidey, a bad motherboard is more likely if you ask me. Granted, it's mostly dells my company supports, but I've only seen a couple bad processors, but a couple dozen bad mobos.

    Also, a bad CMOS battery is unlikely, but you might try popping it out and back in to reset the bios.
    My blog

    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

  8. #22
    Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    1,644
    are you a student? there is a $30 copy of Windows 7 Available:
    Windows 7 Professional $29.99 (.edu email required) - Slickdeals.net

    There are Linux operating systems that are totally free. The most common is:
    Download | Ubuntu

    Some of the troubleshooting and installing is a pain. Find a teenager with lots of pimples and give them $20...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

  9. #23
    Member Array joepa150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    How old is the computer? Is your battery on the MB dead? Is it a black screen before or after the POST? Can you get to your BIOS menu?
    Can no longer go into any menu. Black screen is instantly when I turn the pc on. I don't know much about MB. I didn't see a battery when I was looking. Should I try and replace it? I never had to replace a battery in a MB and I have owned computers for probably 20 years. Some I have used for over 5 years without a problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I would have to disagree spidey, a bad motherboard is more likely if you ask me. Granted, it's mostly dells my company supports, but I've only seen a couple bad processors, but a couple dozen bad mobos.

    Also, a bad CMOS battery is unlikely, but you might try popping it out and back in to reset the bios.
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    are you a student? there is a $30 copy of Windows 7 Available:
    Windows 7 Professional $29.99 (.edu email required) - Slickdeals.net

    There are Linux operating systems that are totally free. The most common is:
    Download | Ubuntu

    Some of the troubleshooting and installing is a pain. Find a teenager with lots of pimples and give them $20...
    I read about UBUNTU on another forum. I never had a Linux based system so I am hesitant. I guess I would download a copy, burn to cd, and stick cd in the trouble computer?

    No longer a student but my wife finished her masters about 2 years ago. I wonder if her edu email still works?

  10. #24
    New Member Array Gort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1
    Hello:

    You can download Ubuntu and burn the iso to a cd or dvd.

    You may then boot your old pc from the cd or dvd and run linux from the live cd in order to inspect and perform analysis upon your existing pc.

    With the live cd/dvd you can salvage files, check read/write capability, verify system functions, network, hardware, etc.

    If you find that you like Ubuntu you can select to install from the main boot up menu from the cd or dvd or from within Ubuntu itself.

    Download | Ubuntu

    If you have any questions about burning an iso please post.

  11. #25
    Member Array thephanatik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    It needs the proper accessory config.
    correct computer desk.jpg
    How'd you get a picture of my room!


    To me, it sounds like a bad motherboard. Since it was having read errors on the hard drive, you would suspect that, but its also having problems reading from the disc drive too, and having multiple parts fail at the same time is unlikely. The motherboard would explain all the problems you are having.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •