Need help with computer!!

This is a discussion on Need help with computer!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a computer with Vista installed (I hate it). It recently would freeze a lot. I would occasionally get the blue screen of death ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with computer!!

Need help with computer!!

I have a computer with Vista installed (I hate it). It recently would freeze a lot. I would occasionally get the blue screen of death or a disc read error but usually a few restarts would take care of it. When it freezes or gets the blue screen I hear a short high pitch sound.

Now it will not load windows. My restore disc will not load even when have the cd rom boot first.

I think it might be a bad hard drive. I was thinking of buying a new one BUT I would need to install a operating system. I want windows 7 but if I buy that it woudl be $200 plus the cost of a hard drive. So I am looking at $250+. I could almost get a new desk top for not much more.

I called around and all the pc places want $150 or more to install Windows 7!!!

I recall years ago when I had a pc built, that they charged me something like $60 to install windows.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

So is that the the Windows 7 upgrade or full version for a clean install?

I just tried to start computer using a old hard drive that has Windows XP on it. Same problem. The Gateway symbol comes up and then I get the disc read error. So it may not be the hard drive.

I can go into boot options and bios. That is it.

If you have a "Best Buy" store around, I would take it there and let the 'Geek Squad' take a look at it. They are usually pretty good and charge a very reasonable rate.

My advice is fix this one, or just buy a whole new computer. It's not worth spending $200 for Win7, plus a hard drive. Then you're at ~$300, and heck, you can buy a whole new comp for ~$300.......

Good luck
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I just tried to start computer using a old hard drive that has Windows XP on it. Same problem. The Gateway symbol comes up and then I get the disc read error. So it may not be the hard drive.

I can go into boot options and bios. That is it.
    What are your boot options? Change them so that your hard drive is first and see if that helps. This could mean your cd-rom is bad. Also, you might be able to run a memory test from bios. Your problem could be fixed with a $30-40 stick of ram.

VIP Member
    Unfortunately, your budget isn’t going to yield much. I use Mac and W7 in the same unit and I like the Mac OS environment far better than Windows-7. Anyway, if your display is Ok then I agree with others’ that a new low-jack desktop would be the way to go.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    So is that the the Windows 7 upgrade or full version for a clean install?
    Full OEM Install....

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    My advice is fix this one, or just buy a whole new computer. It's not worth spending $200 for Win7, plus a hard drive. Then you're at ~$300, and heck, you can buy a whole new comp for ~$300.......
    Without knowing what components the OP has, thats a tough call.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    What are your boot options? Change them so that your hard drive is first and see if that helps. This could mean your cd-rom is bad. Also, you might be able to run a memory test from bios. Your problem could be fixed with a $30-40 stick of ram.
    Did the memory test yesterday. No problems/errors detected. I also tried to boot with hard drive first and also with cd rom first using a restore disc. Neither worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Without knowing what components the OP has, thats a tough call.
    Computer is only 2 years old but was a lower end pc when I bought it.

Just going from memory:
    Vista
    3 gb ddr ram
    320 gb hard drive
    AMD Athlon x26400

I probably will mess around with it some more before buying another. I have a new laptop so not a huge deal to have a desktop.

Hello:

Can you boot from a live linux cd such as Knoppix?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    here by me we use items as you have described at the 200 yard line...
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I don't suppose you happen to have a flash drive plugged into it right now?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I don't suppose you happen to have a flash drive plugged into it right now?
    Or an external hard drive. Depending on your boot order, it may be attempting to boot from external media.

Whoah, some good and some terrible advice floating around this thread. I'm not computer guru, but I do build my own and have run into a lot of problems - including ones like you are describing. I have a completely different machine at work (intel machine - fairly high end socket 775). I was using vista business edition and was having the same issues. Random blue screens, wouldn't start up normally all the time, freezes, ect. I bought windows7 and many of my problems disappeared, however, eventually these problems caught back up to me. I installed on a fresh HDD, checked all my components, ect.

...Turns out I had some issues with my RAM. Run a memory test from your bios. For me, I had at least one faulty module (DDR2). Not sure which one it was, so I yanked them both and am going to warranty them. The 4 gigs left in my machine runs fine, and as soon as I pulled the bad RAM, all the problems disappeared.

Defrag your HDD. Make sure your graphics card is seated properly (if you have one).

Lastly, I would recommend ditching vista and upgrading to Win7. It makes a WORLD of difference. Vista is terrible, 7 is freaking great. Backup your files and definitely do a fresh, full install of the OS. Best of luck.

Edit: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems I bought this copy. Price is fair. If you get the 64 bit, I think it also comes with a 32 bit disk. Might as well future-proof your copy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links