What's available about you online?

This is a discussion on What's available about you online? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Let's do one fun (and scary?) exercise. 1. Go to this list of people search sites, click on the first 4 and enter your name/location. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's available about you online?

What's available about you online?

Let's do one fun (and scary?) exercise.

1. Go to this list of people search sites, click on the first 4 and enter your name/location.

2. See the results and find whether you see any private information about yourself.

3. How's the feeling?

Personally I've never knew that by simply making my FB profile public some weird ass site will come, scrape all that info and put it in their own database.

2. Remove Ads

Plus, if you follow the link directly from this forum, findermind.com can identify your name with gun and concealed carry stuff! How grand!

VIP Member
    I come from the industry, and therefore try not to leave too many data-droppings.

I don't do facebook, nor twitter, nor any of that stuff. They can talk all they want about how great their security is, but I know better. The concept of application security is analagous to a door with many locks on it, sitting in an open field.

What also helps is that there are a few clowns with the same name and age as me, who post their personal stuff everywhere. So searching on me churns up a sea of stupidity. Security through obscurity.

VIP Member
    In our evolving culture of social-everything it’s pretty hard to be unknown. As many of you know, your association on a forum website is easily found in a search, not to mention all of the family-tree, people locator web-sites. I don’t worry about it as some, as I realize I’m just another fly in the ointment.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Hence, the nom de plume!

I am in the phone book, so that much is available. But I keep things on the low-down, especially on FacelessBook - & I NEVER accept offers to log myself into other sites & forums using my FB, YouTube, or any other account! I won't make it that easy!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    Let 'em steal my identity, I hope they get my personality along with it.

Actually, when you're an FFL and instructor, it's tough to be the "Grey Man." I suggest having all the credit monitoring/scoring bureaus flag your SS# to alert you to any inquiries and lock them from reporting your information without your consent. Keep minimal balances in all your cash accounts, especially those with attached debit cards. Immediately cash and reinvest automatic deposits like social security. If you are unwilling to cancel all your credit cards, at least max them out buying guns and ammo.

Light up your business and residence at night, use CCTV, security screen doors and windows, and dogs. Did I mention dogs? Molon Labe baby!
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    Plus, if you follow the link directly from this forum, findermind.com can identify your name with gun and concealed carry stuff! How grand!
    I don't give a darn about them, take any other list of people search sites, that wasn't the point. I first thought of posting the sites one-by-one but that would be really annoying :D
    Last edited by rstickle; June 7th, 2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Language work around

I'm feeling pretty good actually. I have a huge online presence, but apparently I've done a pretty good job of making sure it's hard to tie everything together and trace it back to my name.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I lost a teaching job due to their ability to Google me. I have also lost a couple girlfriends in the past after they Googled my name. Nothing bad, just my Twitter rants and Facebook groups I am affiliated with. I have gone private on most of them, but as long as you use a computer you can and will be traced and thanks to the Patriot Act we no longer have any privacy anymore. Do we seriously think that O'Bama got Zuckerberg, Google and Sun Microsystems together for a meeting to discuss creating jobs????
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Every so often,I look,never found much of anything that mattered.I don't worry.If you use a debit/credit card,borrow money,use a home internet connection,have direct deposit,etc.,your info. is out there.I enjoy social networking.People I have not heard from in 30 some odd years I can now catch up with.I protect my info. as best I can,but life is too short to live in fear.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I'm feeling pretty good actually. I have a huge online presence, but apparently I've done a pretty good job of making sure it's hard to tie everything together and trace it back to my name.
    As we discussed in the post on telling your apartment manager that you were going out of town, I know quite a bit about you after about 30 minutes of searching. Granted, it was a directed effort (just because I'm curious and part of my desired new job involves doing online recon, I'm not a stalker ), but I even know why you were going out of town. I'm sorry you didn't get the Wii, by the way.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Facebook is a damnation I tell ya. Mark my words, 10 years from now, we won't believe how stupid everyone was for putting all that info on the web for everyone to see and mine. There are already companies recording everything on there.

I can't remember the term, but it is essentially data mining by process of elimination. For example, I might not even know you well, but by trolling long enough, I could figure out your birthday, where you live, your mother's maiden name would be a piece of cake, where SHE lives, etc. etc.

All by just watching all the posts....."Happy Birthday Sweetie!, Love Mom", then go to "Mom's" page where she puts her whole life story on there, even all of her grandkids, their names, what grade they are in, etc..

Alluring, yes I understand, but it's going to come back to bite everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I've not been able to connect very much of my real life data with my online screen names (not that I've noticed anyways, somebody go dig something up, lol)

but on Spokeo under my real name it will tell you all about my house size/mortgage/taxes etc. which seems pretty weird coz I never post about that stuff. I suppose it's on some public record website, I dunno. New on there (wasn't there last time I looked) is that they've added the google street view picture of my house and truck. Oh, and they also seem to think I make $53k/year......somebody lied to them about that!!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I am not making fun of the OP's post,but where do we draw the line at due diligence and paranoia? I suppose everything on this forum is recorded?Maybe we should quit?Cancel the internet?Throw away the cell?There is a point I do not beyond online.I do not respond the polls on here,how much ammo,how many guns,etc.There are certainly trolls on any forum that are not who they appear to be.I do enjoy the internet and this forum especially.I do not believe it is an all or nothing game when it comes to the internet.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links