Do I really need a BOB

This is a discussion on Do I really need a BOB within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So BOB is a good thing to have laying around just in case. What do you guys think of the pre made ones. I could ...

View Poll Results: BOB's

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • have one

    19 36.54%
  • have multi BOB's

    15 28.85%
  • I will wing it

    14 26.92%
  • BOB's are dumb

    4 7.69%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Do I really need a BOB

  1. #16
    Member Array ssmtbracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    71
    So BOB is a good thing to have laying around just in case. What do you guys think of the pre made ones. I could build one but it will be costly and the pre mades have most everything covered.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbracer View Post
    So BOB is a good thing to have laying around just in case. What do you guys think of the pre made ones. I could build one but it will be costly and the pre mades have most everything covered.
    The good ones are just as expensive as one you can build yourself, and pretty much all of them have junk items I would never trust my life on. But that's just me. I've had an extensive amount of survival training both in the military and in the private sector.

    Still, a commercially made and assembled bag is something you can start with, and then replace junk items with quality ones, and or augment the bag as you see fit.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  4. #18
    Member Array ssmtbracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    The good ones are just as expensive as one you can build yourself, and pretty much all of them have junk items I would never trust my life on. But that's just me. I've had an extensive amount of survival training both in the military and in the private sector.

    Still, a commercially made and assembled bag is something you can start with, and then replace junk items with quality ones, and or augment the bag as you see fit.
    I was thinking of going to Randal's Adventure Training. Which is suppose to be pretty good. Do you know about these guys what do you think of them.

  5. #19
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbracer View Post
    I was thinking of going to Randal's Adventure Training. Which is suppose to be pretty good. Do you know about these guys what do you think of them.
    First of all, Randall's Adventure Training puts on some of the best survival training in the jungles of South America as well as domestically here in the USA.

    The gear they sell is first and foremost proven to work in real survival in the jungles of South America. They have a couple of decades under their belt doing this and they know what works in austere environments and what doesn't.

    Their largest most comprehensive kit which they sell is the ESEE Comprehensive Survival Kit w/ ESEE-6 Knife and as stated comes with one of their excellent ESEE-6 knives. It sells for $217 and looking at the contents, a person uneducated in survival skills would say, that's not very much stuff. However, the items are quality, first rate, top of the line you can stake your life on. They also sell smaller pocket survival and escape and evasion kits.

    However, their ESEE Comprehensive Survival Kit, is just that... more of a survival kit. For use as a BOB, I would want to augment it with other items which would be specific to my needs and customize it for my own needs. I would also transfer it into a larger backpack for ease of carrying my gear. Their website also has a wealth of links and articles for survival education where I get a lot of ideas. I have also bought several of their products and have been very happy with them.

    Here is a link to an excellent article on BOB's by Jeff Randall. It includes what is in his BOB as well as several photos and philosophy of BOB's in general. I spent a lot of time studying this article when putting together my last BOB. Of course I customized it more for my needs and mine is a little larger than what Jeff has. For example, Jeff chose the Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon backpack and I chose the full size Maxpedition Falcon II backpack for mine. Mine also weighs in at just over 35 lbs. and Jeff's bag weighs in at 20 lbs. You can find his excellent article here.

    Here is a link to a thread I started recently Used My BOB in Joplin, MO after Tornado. Post #15 in that thread has a link to the list of the contents of one of my BOB.

    Below is also a link from a very reputable supplier for quality survival gear. It is owned by a former Marine who has a wilderness survival/self reliance school. I also buy from his company as well. He only offers quality products proven to work.

    Survival Resources - Be Prepared To Survive


    I hope this helps get you started on your way. Good Luck.
    ssmtbracer and packinnova like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  6. #20
    VIP Member Array obxned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    OBX, NC
    Posts
    2,655
    There is no place that I can reach with a single tank of gas that is better than where I am.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

  7. #21
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    There is no place that I can reach with a single tank of gas that is better than where I am.
    How close are you to any of the three operating Nuclear Power Plants in North Carolina? Are you in Brunswick, Wake or Mecklenburg counties, or in any of the neighboring counties?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  8. #22
    VIP Member Array NC Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC Foothills
    Posts
    2,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    How close are you to any of the three operating Nuclear Power Plants in North Carolina? Are you in Brunswick, Wake or Mecklenburg counties, or in any of the neighboring counties?
    Or even more likely, how close are you to train tracks?

  9. #23
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Or even more likely, how close are you to train tracks?
    Oh yeah, I've worked two freight train derailments in my career. Not something you want to be around if there's a couple hundred thousand gallons of hazardous materials leaking in the form of a vapor cloud.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  10. #24
    Member Array ssmtbracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    First of all, Randall's Adventure Training puts on some of the best survival training in the jungles of South America as well as domestically here in the USA.

    The gear they sell is first and foremost proven to work in real survival in the jungles of South America. They have a couple of decades under their belt doing this and they know what works in austere environments and what doesn't.

    Their largest most comprehensive kit which they sell is the ESEE Comprehensive Survival Kit w/ ESEE-6 Knife and as stated comes with one of their excellent ESEE-6 knives. It sells for $217 and looking at the contents, a person uneducated in survival skills would say, that's not very much stuff. However, the items are quality, first rate, top of the line you can stake your life on. They also sell smaller pocket survival and escape and evasion kits.

    However, their ESEE Comprehensive Survival Kit, is just that... more of a survival kit. For use as a BOB, I would want to augment it with other items which would be specific to my needs and customize it for my own needs. I would also transfer it into a larger backpack for ease of carrying my gear. Their website also has a wealth of links and articles for survival education where I get a lot of ideas. I have also bought several of their products and have been very happy with them.

    Here is a link to an excellent article on BOB's by Jeff Randall. It includes what is in his BOB as well as several photos and philosophy of BOB's in general. I spent a lot of time studying this article when putting together my last BOB. Of course I customized it more for my needs and mine is a little larger than what Jeff has. For example, Jeff chose the Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon backpack and I chose the full size Maxpedition Falcon II backpack for mine. Mine also weighs in at just over 35 lbs. and Jeff's bag weighs in at 20 lbs. You can find his excellent article here.

    Here is a link to a thread I started recently Used My BOB in Joplin, MO after Tornado. Post #15 in that thread has a link to the list of the contents of one of my BOB.

    Below is also a link from a very reputable supplier for quality survival gear. It is owned by a former Marine who has a wilderness survival/self reliance school. I also buy from his company as well. He only offers quality products proven to work.

    Survival Resources - Be Prepared To Survive


    I hope this helps get you started on your way. Good Luck.
    Thanks for the info I plan on going to the RAT in AL which would be more suited for me since if I were to go into the woods to survive it would be local not Peru.

    Thanks for your post and all the links too.
    Bark'n likes this.

  11. #25
    Member Array tqu9047's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    106
    I keep a BOB in my trunk at all times. This one has a small tent and sleeping bag attached as I work over 30 miles away and would never make it in one day. I have another next to the bed for any local emergencies, (tornadoes etc.) that happen to come through. I also have my CERT bag in the trunk for any of these emergencies that would come up. So I guess you can say I have 3 BOB's.
    My wife also keeps a get home bag in the trunk of her car. She works approx 12 miles away and can make it in a day. She also keeps another BOB next to the bed and her CERT bag is in the closet ready to go.

    Tim

  12. #26
    Member Array ssmtbracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by tqu9047 View Post
    I keep a BOB in my trunk at all times. This one has a small tent and sleeping bag attached as I work over 30 miles away and would never make it in one day. I have another next to the bed for any local emergencies, (tornadoes etc.) that happen to come through. I also have my CERT bag in the trunk for any of these emergencies that would come up. So I guess you can say I have 3 BOB's.
    My wife also keeps a get home bag in the trunk of her car. She works approx 12 miles away and can make it in a day. She also keeps another BOB next to the bed and her CERT bag is in the closet ready to go.


    Tim
    Your pretty much covered then. I figure if I am at work and for some reason can't get home by car I have over 200 bikes to chose from. Which is where my family and BOB bag would probably be. I would like to get some for the cars as well just gotta save some cash for that.

  13. #27
    VIP Member Array packinnova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    4,224
    To answer the Original Question, in short, yes. You need a bob, bib, ghb, etc... It doesn't have to be expensive either if you're on a budget. Many of us have been collecting our gear for a while so we may have been able to save up and fork over for a "name brand" bag of some sort. For someone just starting out that may be too big of an all at once expense. In that case...see my bit about the Nalgene bottles below. You can piece-meal what you need (keeping it small/mobile as possible) and put it in whatever you can find/afford. Even something as simple as stuffing the smaller bits in a naglene bottle and then throwing the bottle and anything else in a cheap $5 drawstring ditty sack.

    I keep a compartmentalized system setup in my vehicle trunk. I have a larger Maxpedition pack with a Camelback in it and a smaller Maxped Sabercat waist pack strapped to the back of the larger pack. This serves a number of purposes.

    I keep what I need for an extended bug in or out in the large maxped pack and absolute bare minimum essentials for short runs in the smaller sabercat. By compartmentalizing things into smaller kits inside each pack, I'm able to either take the entire set all in one if I'm not concerned with weight, speed, time etc..., or I can pull the clips, yank the sabercat off the back, and run with just the smaller Sabercat waist pack with just bare essentials for short term self reliance.

    Lots of folks here have bobs, bibs, GHB's or whatever you prefer to call them. One thing to thnk about...DON'T knock or forgo WIDE MOUTH Nalgene bottles(the big 32oz'ers). They ROCK for BOB's. Why you ask? Because ONE single nalgene wide mouth bottle can be a BOB in and of itself. I'll try to remember to take pics of one of mine tonight when I get home. I store all my water treatment tabs, fire starting utilities, Multitool, snare wire, paracord, walter filtration, first aid instructions etc... all in one nalgene bottle that fits in the Sabercat waist pack quite nicely. So I have all that crud and the water bottle for water and you can cook in the bottle! I have used them over camp fires and it does work without melting as long as the water is near full in the bottle.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

    "Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

ease comprehensive survival kit
,

esee comprehensive survival kit

,
esee comprehensive survival kit w/ esee-6 knife
,
pygmy falcon as ghb
,
pygmy falcon ii
,
sabercat vs pygmy falcon ii for bob
Click on a term to search for related topics.