Do I really need a BOB

This is a discussion on Do I really need a BOB within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My question is does everyone here have a BOB or are they just a waste of time and money. I guess the closest thing I ...

View Poll Results: BOB's

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • have one

19 36.54%
  • have multi BOB's

15 28.85%
  • I will wing it

14 26.92%
  • BOB's are dumb

4 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Do I really need a BOB

Do I really need a BOB

My question is does everyone here have a BOB or are they just a waste of time and money. I guess the closest thing I would have to one is my range bag. I live in FL and when we got hit with the 3 or 4 hurricanes I did not bail out to anywhere I did have a generator and lots of light and Guns of course.

So is it realistic that I may have to leave my house for whatever reason. I guess a good example is Japan earthquakes which lead to tsunami. Which if I got caught in that there is no bailing out to anywhere.

2. Remove Ads

I'm a Gulf Coast resident. (South Louisiana. The whole idea of a Bug Out Bag is to have something with all the stuff you'd possibly need in an emergency situation should something unforeseeable happened. Keyword 'unforseeable'. Chances are, we know what has to be done for a hurricane, but there are many things that, theoretically, could happen. My theory is "I'd rather have it, and not need it than need it, and not have it."

Sent from my ZTF Com1 Device using Tapatalk.
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath.

Quote Originally Posted by ZTF Hitman View Post
    I'm a Gulf Coast resident. (South Louisiana. The whole idea of a Bug Out Bag is to have something with all the stuff you'd possibly need in an emergency situation should something unforeseeable happened. Keyword 'unforseeable'. Chances are, we know what has to be done for a hurricane, but there are many things that, theoretically, could happen. My theory is "I'd rather have it, and not need it than need it, and not have it."

True I have been doing some searching and I found some pre made ones with what looks like all the essentials

My camping stuff and emergency items are close at hand, but I'm not planning on going anywhere (barring nukes, chem, or bio)...in the case of the aforementioned exceptions, we probably won't need a BoB.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Being in the Houston suburbs we get the hurricanes. We are far enough inland that storm surge in not an issue for us, but we doget the wind. We also have a good sized gas pipeline near the house. When those have problems it tends to be extremely short notice and sometimes fairly spectacular.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I want to put one together, but after traveling out of state every week for work for years, I'm an adept packer. I can literally pack two weeks of clothing and essentials in five minutes, and not come up shy on anything. That doesn't actually mean I could pack a BOB that quick, but I sure could wing it if pressed.

This is actually a good reminder to do something about this. I'd like to have a handy bag ready for baby-being-born style exit speed.

Think about it this way: Putting a bunch of junk that you're better off having anyway, into a single, easy to transport package.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath.

Before you go to the end of the world zombie attack, stop and think about the 60 second test.

In 60 seconds what could you think of that would make life bearable if that's all the time you had to gather things?

Think copies of insurance policies (home, cars and heath), numbers of agents, doctors numbers, and emergency contact tree so if you can not reach other family directly who do you call to let them know you're leaving and where your heading.

What medications do you and your family NEED to have and do you have enough for a week or two minimum AND copies of prescriptions in case of disruption of local commerce.

Cash, both paper AND coins. There are tons of vending machines around when stores are closed.

Get the most likely needed items first and THEN go for the zombie attack supplies.

Pack the very basics in a small bag and then put that into another bigger container that holds the next level. That way if something happens and you have to reduce your carry load you have already compartmentalized by level of importance.

Short answer to your question of do you need a BOB? Yes.

In Michigan we get tornados on occasion. I keep a kit in the basement with water, mre's, flashlight, radio, tarp, etc. Just in case the house blows away. BTW my dad has a great idea for anytime. Copy all of your ID cards, credit/debit cards etc. Both front and back. This will help if stolen or you lose your wallet or purse. Once I moved out on my own that man became a genius!
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

I feel the best solution for most emergencies is to stay home inside your fortified castle. You will always have more supplies, protection and much less vulnerabilities staying inside your home. I have spent time, money and sweat fortifying my home and supplying it to protect myself and my family during most emergencies.

However, I feel it's a little short sighted not to be aware that in rare circumstances, one may be forced to leave the safety of the castle. A nuclear emergency at an area power plant, an area wide pandemic, or a biological terror event just to name a few.

For me, you are exponentially more vulnerable and a whole lot more logistical problems to a person or family when they are on the move and exposed to more unknown factors when bugging out than staying home inside a relatively fortified structure. Especially if anyone in your party is not in peak physical condition to the level of an Army Ranger or Marine.

But again, to say that you can never foresee a situation where you might be forced to leave your home, I believe is being extremely short sighted.

So, with that said... Sure, I think people should have a BOB of some sort or configuration which will help provide you with certain essentials to help you escape an unknown type of disaster or emergency situation which will help sustain you and your party for a certain amount of time. Most would say for a period of 3 days at a minimum. Still, others may agree a week or two is best.

I have a lot of gear packed away in modular units of various sizes. Either prepacked in backpacks, gear bags, or plastic totes I have a lot of equipment, food, supplies, shelter and water purification ready to go, or be used in place. My intent is to use all my gear at home. It's organized, up to date, and I know where it is. Plus, the organization makes it easy to work out of the containers.

I do take one of my bags with me whenever I travel, or am on the road away from home. Recently, my best friends town of Joplin was hit by an F5 tornado which devastated a huge part of town and did damage to my friends house. He was out of town on business and his wife and kids were at home alone during this natural disaster. I live two hours away. Because of my preparedness, I was able to grab my BOB, an additional backpack, some gasoline for their generator, some containers of water, and some weapons and be on the road in less than 20 minutes. I was there in 2 1/2 hours and was able to provide some home security, gasoline for their generator and water purification until he was able to return home from half way across the country.

As far as I'm concerned, having a BOB allows you to mobilize quickly and not waste time rounding up supplies and packing when you should be moving.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'm not bailing out to anywhere if the shtf. Unless you're already a resident in the countryside you're not going to be welcomed by the country populace. There will be no room at the inn.

If I'm going to die when the shtf I'm dying at home with my dogs, guns and ammo stockpile.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I'm not bailing out to anywhere if the shtf. Unless you're already a resident in the countryside you're not going to be welcomed by the country populace. There will be no room at the inn.

If I'm going to die when the shtf I'm dying at home with my dogs, guns and ammo stockpile.
    You seem to have missed some of the events that makes leaving post haste the smart move like clorine gas spills, wild fire, etc. Those events make leaving a rather positive choice and you will be fine once you're out of the immediate area. The inn will have room if you planned far enough to have everything you need for a quick trip.

I keep a camp tote (8 gallon bucket with a water tight lid) ready at almost all times. It goes with me to the lake, hunting and even longish road trips. A first aid kit, couple bottles of water, a few cans of beans, chili, Vienna sausage ect. and a couple blankets, tarp and a two man tent and a few sundries. Not sure it counts as a bug out bag but it has come in handy more than a couple times when the fish were biting good. I plan on making it a little bigger than it is right now and adding a few more items like a small tackle box and hatchet/machete ect.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    You seem to have missed some of the events that makes leaving post haste the smart move like clorine gas spills, wild fire, etc. Those events make leaving a rather positive choice and you will be fine once you're out of the immediate area. The inn will have room if you planned far enough to have everything you need for a quick trip.
    Yep, you don't even have to stay at a motel/hotel... You can pay the $3/day and set up shop at a local state campground to wait out events.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    situated as i am between many medium sized cities, i have a BIB--bug in bag.
    when all else around me are losing their heads, i shall remain; the fear shall pass through and around me and i will remain.

honestly, by the time we the citizens are given information...slanted as those in power wish us to hear it, its gonna be grid lock and 3 days of looting.
    I'll stay low and they will pass, hopefully with no encouragement from me. than i will wait out the 3 months or so till services are restored.
    what, me worry
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links