Good News from the Gunsmith

This is a discussion on Good News from the Gunsmith within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have an old Smith&Wesson .38 Special that I've had for over 20 years. Since I've had it, it's mostly been in a pouch made ...

Thread: Good News from the Gunsmith

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

I have an old Smith&Wesson .38 Special that I've had for over 20 years. Since I've had it, it's mostly been in a pouch made for pistols. I'm not sure what happened to the case but for the past couple of years, it has been sitting on a shelf in the closet.

I thought about trading it as well as keeping it at home for a back up. I was, however, concerned about the firing pin being too loose and decided to take it in and have it looked at. If the gunsmith thought the gun was safe to shoot, then I would have it repaired and if it was determined to be un-safe then I would just keep it for the sake of having it.

After the gunsmith looked at it, he told me that it is normal for the firing pin to be a little loose in the model that I have but he would still tighten it up for me. After a quick tear down, he brought the gun out for me to inspect. He told me that the gun needed a good cleaning. He added that the springs are starting to rust and a good cleaning would prevent the gun from deteriorating more and would put it in good working order.

Over all, I was very happy with the news that I received. The gunsmith reassured me that the gun is safe to shoot. He said that he would trust it to fire 200-300 rounds a day. He told me it would make a good back up good for the house. He also told me that I needed to store the gun in a gun sock with silicon. He told me that the billfold type cases that fold over and have a zipper is the worst thing that you can keep a gun in. He said that the things do nothing but hold moisture. He said that a gun needs to have air but the moisture in the air that we have here in KY is also bad for guns. He said that they have guns in the shop that rust from sitting.

I'm going to get a gun sock before I pick my .38 up. I'm also going to get one for my 10/22 that I am storing in a suede case.

This is what the gun looked like before I took it in. The gunsmith told me that I wouldn't recognize it when I get it back. I may post a picture on here to show you the "after" shot.

One last thing, I was very happy with how considerate the gunsmith was for my safety. When he wrote the ticket, he didn't put my address on it. He said that he leaves it off tickets so if they get lost that people won't find them, go to your house hoping to steal a gun/s. I appreciated his consideration.

Oh, he told me that I have a model 15 - which I didn't know. ;-)

Certainly something to hang on to and hand down to the next generation of DefConGuns...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's really not a good idea to store guns in soft cases... as you just found out. The treated gun socks are pretty good, as they 'breathe' and don't retain moisture.

On S+W wheelguns, you can usually find the model number on the frame when the cylinder is open, above the cylinder crane hinge.

BTW, your pic didn't upload. Try again?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    It's really not a good idea to store guns in soft cases... as you just found out. The treated gun socks are pretty good, as they 'breathe' and don't retain moisture.

On S+W wheelguns, you can usually find the model number on the frame when the cylinder is open, above the cylinder crane hinge.

BTW, your pic didn't upload. Try again?
    Thanks for the info.

It's uploading on my end, try refreshing please and if it doesn't upload, I'll try reloading.

The problem was at my end - sorry for the bother.
    Classic old Smith! A little 'freckling' on the finish, but nothing to worry about. Good move to have a 'smith check it out.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Learned about zippered cases the hard way also. The Model is one fine revolver, as active duty in the USAF we carried either the Model 10 or 15 with a 2” barrel but qualified with the 4” barrel, I have no idea how many thousands of rounds the range guns had through then but the only failures were an occasional ejector rod loosening up.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The problem was at my end - sorry for the bother.
    Classic old Smith! A little 'freckling' on the finish, but nothing to worry about. Good move to have a 'smith check it out.
    No bother at all.

I asked about having it re-blued but the Smith said that the gun has already started to pit and it would only reappear later. Considering the cost, it didn't make any sense to try to go forth with it.

Now that I'm a little more aware of what's going on, I'll try to keep it from getting any worse than it is now.
    DCG

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Learned about zippered cases the hard way also. The Model is one fine revolver, as active duty in the USAF we carried either the Model 10 or 15 with a 2” barrel but qualified with the 4” barrel, I have no idea how many thousands of rounds the range guns had through then but the only failures were an occasional ejector rod loosening up.
    Very Cool.

I watched a NutNFancy video once where he was talking about his dad. He was in the USAF and he said that his dad carried a S&W .38 Special everywhere he went.

Isn't this the same gun Barney Fife carried on Andy Griffith? By the same gun, I mean the same model?

Sponsored Links