Is Anyone Else Getting Sick of the Movies Coming Out of Hollywood this Year? - Page 2

Is Anyone Else Getting Sick of the Movies Coming Out of Hollywood this Year?

This is a discussion on Is Anyone Else Getting Sick of the Movies Coming Out of Hollywood this Year? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SC Tiger Am I the only one that thinks that the picture in "Hobo with a Shotgun" looks more like Gary Busey ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Is Anyone Else Getting Sick of the Movies Coming Out of Hollywood this Year?

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks that the picture in "Hobo with a Shotgun" looks more like Gary Busey than Rudger Hauer?

Well, Hauer is actually a year OLDER than Busey. He is 67 years old now.

Busey himself still looks pretty good for being 66:

Distinguished Member
    I a bit of a comic nerd, so I've actually been pretty happy with the lineup this year. Xmen and Thor were pretty good. Looking forward to Captain America. I'm also looking forward to Conan, if only because I like Jason Momoa.

Senior Moderator
    Last movie JD and I saw in the theater was Rango..

It was SOMEONE's first time at the movies.

The only part I really liked was the "Spirit of the West" part which was funny. When you have kids the only time you find yourself going to the theater is when kids movies come out. lol.

Guess what we're planning to see coming up? You guessed it, Cars 2!

Midnight in Paris was fantastic for 1920's art and literature history buffs. It's a Woody Allen movie but he's not in it so, like Match Point, it was really good. Hilarious. Corey Stoll as Ernest Hemingway and Adrien Brody as Salvador Dali stole the show.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    I'm also looking forward to Conan, if only because I like Jason Momoa.

Have you been watching GAME OF THRONES on HBO the past few months? Momoa has been featured in it playing the role of King Khal Drogo, Lord of the Dothraki. Based on his performance in GAME OF THRONES, he should make a very good Conan. He has got the strong, silent type down very well.

I am more than fed up with the movies for the last several years and not just this year. My wife belongs to to one of these services that send you movies in the mail and she receives at least 3 movies per week, so I watch many new movies each year. So far this year I have seen maybe 3 decent movies and the year is only half over. As far as wasting money on movies, I am pretty lucky because I have not been to a movie theater since 1981. I love to rent movies
    and watch them at home, which I have done for many years. We have started to rent many of the old/classic movies and watch the Turner Classic Network.
    I'm the kind of person who watches a movie once and 5 years later, I don't remember how it ends, so watching old movies is good for me.

I don't worry much with Hollywood. The last movie I went to see was Toy Story 3. Kids. When "The Hunger Games" movie comes out I might go see it. It was partially filmed in the abandoned mill village that my dad grew up in. I want to see if his house makes it into the movie. They turned the old company store where my Granddad worked into the bakery for the movie. And most of the rest of the movie is being filmed in and around W NC.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Have you been watching GAME OF THRONES on HBO the past few months? Momoa has been featured in it playing the role of King Khal Drogo, Lord of the Dothraki. Based on his performance in GAME OF THRONES, he should make a very good Conan. He has got the strong, silent type down very well.

Oh, you better believe it!

I dang near high-fived myself when he gave Viserys his "crown"...

I'm just now making my way through the book series. I had just finished book 1 when I heard about the HBO series.

Looking forward to Clash of Kings come Spring 2012.

I enjoyed Kung-Fu Panda, Kung-Fu Panda 2 and Thor. But I agree about the blockbuster films. I would rather watch a b flick with bad acting and poor editing most of the time anyway.

I'm too cheap and poor to pay $10 for garbage movies so I just watch everything at home. That and I don't have to get dressed or deal with the idiot on the cell phone trying to talk over the movie. As far as good movies this year/late last year there are a few but not many. Anymore I seem to enjoy the animated kids movies.

Thor wasn't bad but I expected more action less of a love story, but still overall a decent flick.
    I liked Unknown, however Taken was a much better movie from Liam Neeson.
    The Lincoln Lawyer and Adjustment Bureau were pretty good.
    POTC 4 wasn't that good. Not as funny as the previous ones
    Fast 5 was hilarious just because of the outrageous/stupidity of the stunts. Most people my FB seemed to love it and said it was the best one yet, which isn't saying much since all of them are crap.
    Kungfu Panda was great not as good as the first but still a great watch
    Rio was enjoyable
    Just go with it was surprisingly entertaining but then again it's an Adam Sandler movie so you have to set your standards low, specially w/ his last few releases which were terrible.
    Season of the Witch was interesting.
    Despicable me was great
    Megamind was good as well
    Social network was surprisingly good as well
    Scott Pilgram vs the world was entertaining.

There are others in the last year or so but that should do it for the good and the bad

HBO, Netflix, Hulu and On Demand in Hi-Def on a 65" with surround sound...Who needs theaters....

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Too many movies made nowadays seem to be attempts to have special effects carry the day in lieu of actual plot or storyline and acting/directing talent. In the comedy department too often crude antics and coarse language substitute for real wit and humor. There are some good movies showing up now and then. I did enjoy True Grit and Crazy Heart last year. What I don't enjoy are movies that serve to make me stupider than I am. Far too many these days are just churned out to appeal to the lowest common denominator in the IQ department.
    Chevyguy85 likes this.

“What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

VIP Member
    For you Conan fans out there......................

YouTube - ‪UHF Conan The Librarian‬‏
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I miss Saturday afternoon kid matinees with the continuing action series before the movie and 25 cent admission with 10 cent soda drinks and 15 cent candy bars
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links