Is Anyone Else Getting Sick of the Movies Coming Out of Hollywood this Year?

This is a discussion on Is Anyone Else Getting Sick of the Movies Coming Out of Hollywood this Year? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Am I imagining things, or is Hollywood mainly producing boring, unoriginal stuff these days? The only two movies that I have really enjoyed so far ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Is Anyone Else Getting Sick of the Movies Coming Out of Hollywood this Year?

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Is Anyone Else Getting Sick of the Movies Coming Out of Hollywood this Year?

Am I imagining things, or is Hollywood mainly producing boring, unoriginal stuff these days? The only two movies that I have really enjoyed so far this year have been "Super 8" and "Hobo with a Shotgun". While both were set in popular genres that have been covered many times, they each had enough originality that made them interesting and fun to watch. There are way too many comic book superhero movies this year. Of the ones that I have seen so far, only X-Men: First Class was truly enjoyable and felt like it was worth seeing. And that was mainly because it covered interesting new ground in the series, that really even the comics had not explored that much.

Has anyone else seen a movie that you really enjoyed so far this year?

And there are way too many remakes these days, too. I just read that the movie "Total Recall is being remade with a huge budget and all-star cast. Why? The original had a great cast, with very good special effects. Same thing for the "Mechanic", which was redone and released early this year, only to bomb. I really have no interest in seeing "Total Recall" again, even if they do spend $200 Million to remake it, as they are claiming. We really did not need new Pirates of the Caribbean, Fast and Furious, and Transformers movies this year either, in my opinion.

I'm feeling hopefully optimistic about "Cowboys and Aliens". If done right, it could perhaps be a bit refreshing. But overall, this year sure is disappointing to me.

You should try to checkout "Hobo with a Shotgun" if you can. It is mainly playing in small art cinemas. And it is also available on Comcast via ON DEMAND. Hard to describe exactly, but it is sort of a "Mad Max" meets "Death Wish" combination. Extremely graphic and often over the top, but shamefully fun to watch despite all the seediness and gore.

Here is a link to the official website for "Hobo with a Shotgun":

Hobo with a Shotgun (Official Movie Site) - Starring Rutger Hauer, Gregory Smith, Molly Dunsworth, Brian Downey and Nick Bateman - On Demand EVERYWHERE and In Theatres May 6th - Trailers, Pictures & More

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    I pretty much stopped going to theaters when the prices went high enough to do away with $2 Tuesdays! As to the garbage that is being dumped into the theaters these days with the remakes, TV to movie, etc, I can pretty much pass.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I enjoyed Thor. Pirates was a disappointment. I really want to see the new X-Men, but I work nights and have been busy on the weekends so far. It's no big disappointment, either, since I can wait a few months and enjoy it in my quiet house on my comfortable couch and on my own TV for 24-48 hours and for half the price.

I am definitely excited for Captain America or anything along that series of movies.

Missed out on THOR (didn't go mothers day weekend and missed a combat pistol shoot to go the next weekend and the damn projecter died), will be kicking myself for that for quite a while, did not see X-men but would like to. I did see Green Lantern and was pleased with it. I'm a comic book fanboy and I'm looking forward to Captain America and Transformers. I do agree that it seems like there are a lot of comic book movies this season, but I think hollywood is seeing the light.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Agreed, mostly crap coming out of Hollywood.

Last movie I saw in the theater was Zombieland. That I did enjoy.

Will have to look for Hobo With A Shotgun.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    but I think hollywood is seeing the light.

I really don't think so. The new Total Recall budget is supposed to be over $200 million. Colin Farrell replaces Schwarzenegger, and Kate Beckinsale replaces Sharon Stone. Popular comedic actor John Cho and Emmy Award winning Bryan Cranston play the two primary bad guys, replacing Michael Ironside and Ronny Cox, respectively.

I know that the original is now 20 years old, but does it have to be re-done? The Mechanic certainly didn't, in my opinion.

One could even argue that "True Grit" really did not need to be re-done. Although at least it was 41 years old. So I guess that more of an argument could be made for introducing it to new generations.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    tues the 'club' people get in for 1/2 price given the quality of the flick its about close to value

cowboys and alians sounds promising.
    id like to see Dune parts 3 & 4 together
    or S Kings-- Gunslinger series.

so much has been from the pen of Philip K Dick, i can think of 7 but im sure there are more

favorite gun is Vera though id like a ZF-1 for trips downtown...
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I also enjoyed the new X-Men flick. I rarely go to movies anymore, due to the fact that they are so terrible. I would love to see a good Dune movie, but I don't know if I should get my hopes up...

I fully understand that these things are not every persons cup of tea... but I have, however, been sucked into a new PC game that has really stepped up the bar. The Witcher 2 is like playing your way through a movie. A really awesome movie. It's all about the story. I can't say enough good things about this title. It's fantasy, but obviously for mature audiences.

The trailer speaks for itself. This contains mature content, is NSFW, and is ESRB rated MA (17+). The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings Video Game, Disdain & Fear Launch Trailer HD | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

$60.00 can buy several movie tickets, so I am glad that this was worth every penny and more.

VIP Member
    It is all garbage and it would not be a good deal at half the price. I see what I want when it comes out on video, even then, most is overpriced.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Zombieland ruled ^_^ (doesn't hurt that I had friends in it and worked on it in the makeup/costuming dept).

One thing that has irritated me to no end is the molestation of my 80s childhood. This hasn't been a lately thing....it's been an ongoing thing. I mean, look at the crap that was the '98 American "Godzilla."
    Transformers..... Optimus Prime had lips.... ***? Linkin Park soundtrack... ***?
    GI Joe....Snake Eyes had lips...***? Storm Shadow wasn't even in a Ninja costume....***? I like the guy from the Mummy (Arnold Vosloo i think)...but his Zartan = yuck.
    Dolph Lundren in early 90s as He-Man....***?
    Ben Afflick's Daredevil.... ***? BG in that movie, Bullseye, yuck.

IMO, the only good revamps/remakes/etc that have come out lately has been the new Marvel franchise and the others mentioned here. The way they're doing it starting with Iron Man through Thor to CPT America followed by The Avengers....so far, so good. Bonus for Stan Lee.

Batman The Dark Knight....brilliant IMO. Heath Ledger's Joker = best (although Mark Hammill's animated Joker ranks up there) as he captured the Joker from the graphic novel "The Killing Joke" pretty well.
    The Daniel Craig Bond movies....brilliant IMO. A lot closer to the grittiness that is the novels that inspired the franchise.
    I actually liked the re-vamping of The A-Team. I thought it was gonna fail, but turned out pretty well IMO. I love Liam Neeson, but was skeptical at him attempting Hannibal. He's no George Peppard, but didn't expect him to be and thought it worked.
    New (cpl yrs old now) Star Trek movie....awesome.

Other things that have irritated me:
    Plans on doing a live action "The Last Unicorn."
    Remake of Conan: The Barbarian (in 3D)...big ***!?!?!?!?!?
    I didn't even know they were re-making Total Recall....fail.
    NBCs extremely failed attempt at re-hashing Knight Rider (KITT as a Mustang....fail).
    Alien vs. Predator. C'mon...W...T...F!!! It was one of the most anticipated match ups for years. Every since we saw Alien skulls on the ship in Predator 2 when Danny Glover was on it....we were like "Hell yes!" But, fail, they took 2 R-rated franchises and made it PG-13. Ugh.

I haven't see the remake of Nightmare on Elm Street...but I'm skeptical...even though I do like Jackie Early Hayley ever since the Bad News Bears....which they remade and was "meh."

What's next? A remake of Legend? Sword & the Sorcerer? Labyrinth?

Sorry for the rant....I have a longer list.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post

Last movie I saw in the theater was Zombieland. That I did enjoy.

Will have to look for Hobo With A Shotgun.

Well, if you liked Zombieland, you will most likely get a real kick out of Hobo With A Shotgun. It is way over the top, though, so it is not at all young person friendly like Zombieland was. Gratuitous amounts of obscenities spoken, along with rape, torture, mutilation, and murder. Could not be more gory, since justice is often handed out with a shotgun at point blank range. Although the Hobo does get more creative as the movie progresses, and starts executing the bad folks in some rather spectacular ways.

And the bad guys could not be more fiendish. To give you just a sample, one of them tosses a hand grenade into the lap of a homeless mother with a small child, blowing them both to bits. In another case, a man dressed up as Santa Claus is depicted molesting a child. Needless to say, the Hobo takes care of all of them. The premise is that society has broken down due to corruption and sin, and that law enforcement has become extremely ineffective. It is a scenario much worse than portrayed in the Death Wish movies, and fairly close to the original Mad Max movie. But the whole vigilantism premise does remind one a bit of Charles Bronson and the Death Wish series. But despite being in a genre covered before, it is original and different enough to be refreshing.

If you go see it, or buy it On Demand from Cable or Satellite, definitely don't have any kids with you. There is a reason why no big film company was willing to make this movie. But sometimes the small, independent films can be most refreshing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    If you go see it, or buy it On Demand from Cable or Satellite, definitely don't have any kids with you. .
    Don't worry, the only immature person seeing it will be me.

BTW, another reason for me to see it. According to IMDB, it was "shot" in Canada, Halifax Nova Scotia to be specific.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Don't worry, the only immature person seeing it will be me.

BTW, another reason for me to see it. According to IMDB, it was "shot" in Canada, Halifax Nova Scotia to be specific.

Yes, it was indeed filmed in Canada. Canadian cities seem to often fill in for being US cities in recent years. In fact, I believe that virtually the entire cast is made up of Canadian actors, except for Hauer, naturally.

Hauer is starting to get work again. He is currently filming the big budget "Dracula 3D", and will be staring as Van Helsing. It is due out next summer.

Although, do we really need another Dracula movie? How many remakes of Dracula have there been?

Am I the only one that thinks that the picture in "Hobo with a Shotgun" looks more like Gary Busey than Rudger Hauer?
    babyhulk likes this.

VIP Member
    <------ Well I did enjoy the latest version of "True Grit". Also enjoyed "The Kings Speech"

I'm not a big movie goer and it does seem to me that movies come and go I've never heard of and I wouldn't care about seeing them anyway, however they do put out a good one every now and then
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links