Texas Mom Gets Probation, Loses Kids, for Spanking her Daughter

This is a discussion on Texas Mom Gets Probation, Loses Kids, for Spanking her Daughter within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Any questions why we are having the problems we are having? Texas Mom Gets Probation, Loses Kids, for Spanking her Daughter - Fox News Latino ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Texas Mom Gets Probation, Loses Kids, for Spanking her Daughter

VIP Member

Any questions why we are having the problems we are having?

Texas Mom Gets Probation, Loses Kids, for Spanking her Daughter - Fox News Latino

The grandma turns in the mother for what, based on this article, appears to be a normal spanking punishment episode, not abuse. The mother gets 5 years probation.

"You don't spank children today," Judge Jose Longoria is quoted as having said. "In the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don't spank children."

Of course in the old days we did not have the problems we have now - any wonder?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Please, please tell me that some sensible judge will overturn this on appeal. Or at least tell me there's more to the story. Did she leave marks that showed she went too far? I mean, come on. I got spanked as a kid and I turned out to be a rather upstanding member of society. Cause let me tell you, I figured out fast that spankings sucked, so I avoided those.

EDIT: Wow, managed to get the article to load finally. The judge straight says spanking is a crime. Surely someone sensible will overturn this...
    garyacman, Erick46590 and Xader like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

He should be removed from the bench. What a crick of poop!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Crock. Stupid iPhone. LOL!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

VIP Member
    Professing themselves wise, they became fools. Rom 1:22
    limatunes, oneshot and RemMod597 like this.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    Crock. Stupid iPhone. LOL!
    Too Funny! I agree

VIP Member
    It's not all the judges fault. My question is how did it get to the judge in the first place? It probably passed through the hands of 3 or 4 bureaucrats before getting to a judge. The whole system is screwed up.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Sorry...
    I'm not taking this at face value...

More here that we didn't know about.

Probation doesn't get handed out without a suspended jail term, and with a guilty plea, that means they were initially looking for her to serve time.

This means one or more of the following:

a) She's got a record for doing this and has used up every alternative program she had (In CT that means at least 2 incidents before we get to guilty pleas);
    b) The injuries were worse than described;
    c) Drugs were involved...in some way...;

Also, the story was reported to make the most impact...and what makes the impact hit harder..."Looser who's beat her kid before gets 5 years probation..." or "Mom gets 5 yr probation for spanking a kid"

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Sorry...
    I'm not taking this at face value...

More here that we didn't know about.

Probation doesn't get handed out without a suspended jail term, and with a guilty plea, that means they were initially looking for her to serve time.

This means one or more of the following:

a) She's got a record for doing this and has used up every alternative program she had (In CT that means at least 2 incidents before we get to guilty pleas);
    b) The injuries were worse than described;
    c) Drugs were involved...in some way...;

Also, the story was reported to make the most impact...and what makes the impact hit harder..."Looser who's beat her kid before gets 5 years probation..." or "Mom gets 5 yr probation for spanking a kid"
    +1

Sum'in ain't right!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I agree with MitchellCT. I would like to see the court transcript. We don't know the timing of the grandmother's discovery, the amount of "redness" on the child's butt, or past behavior of the mother.

I will say that if the child had been with the grandmother for, let's say, 4 hours before the discovery and there was enough redness to cause concern (if it was faint, most people would assume that it's a mild rash) it was an abusive act not the "swat" that some news reports are saying. We have to keep in mind this was a TWO year old not an eight year old who was caught stealing from the convenience store. I don't care if it was an open hand, if you hit a two year old hard enough to leave marks for hours it's abuse.

There's definitely more to this story than the sensationalist reports are saying.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    Mitchell, ArkhmAsylm & Gruntingfrog - I hope y'all are right. However, after reading the article and watching the embedded video from the TV station (link below) where the judge is passing sentence, I think the article is accurate. It was the paternal grandmother that reported the spanking. Wonder if there was bad blood there as there often is.

http://www.kztv10.com/news/local-mot...-for-spanking/

Unreal. Spare the rod, spoil the child. The "rod" doesn't necessarily mean beat your children, it refers to the "rule of law" but when was the last time you could reason with a 2 year old? My son is 21 months and the ONLY thing he responds to when he's messing around to the point where if he doesn't stop, he will hurt himself, is a smack on the bare bottom and a very loud "NO!". He then gets a hug and an explanation that "standing on the edge of the pond is not safe, you have to listen to daddy when he tells you no the first time."

I can believe it..... seen too many crazy things happen, even in the recent past.

An attorney I know stepped in and is representing a mother who's son was arrested for assaulting the father... but the son was 'defending ' himself after dad came home drunk and was beating son. Mom, was telling the boy NOT to take a plea deal if he wasn't guilty..... the DA was ticked off about this, and took MOM to court , got the court to take custody of the kid away from her forever, ready for this.... "for unduly influencing a minor".

Believe me, it's true .....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I will never forget the time I was maybe 3 years old,mom had taken all of us to the store and after shopping and paying for everythin got all 4 of us in the car + packages,as she starts to back up she sees me in the back seat unwrapping a candy bar,she knows she didn't buy no stinking candy bar,car gets reparked,all 4 kids get drug back into the store and I had to give the candy bar back and apologise for taking it,never shoplifted again,it was kinda embarrassing and scary
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Court transcriptions tell you NOTHING.

The real details are in the scribbled handwriting on sticky pads in the file, and the poorly written shorthand on the file jacket.

What you see in court is theater - NOT substance.

Been their, done that, doing it on Friday again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links