Would You Admit to having a Carry Permit on a Job App?

This is a discussion on Would You Admit to having a Carry Permit on a Job App? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Many places, being untruthful on an application is grounds for dismissal. I would tell the truth or leave it blank. Wonder why they think they ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Would You Admit to having a Carry Permit on a Job App?

Many places, being untruthful on an application is grounds for dismissal. I would tell the truth or leave it blank. Wonder why they think they need to know?
    babyhulk likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I would contact the Dept of Labor and ask if the question is legal. In my opinion it is as discriminatory as asking your age, if you have any medical conditions or how you plan to get to work.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It might not be such an bad thing. They may just forego a background check if they know you have a permit...sort of like not having to do a NICS check on a gun if you have a concealed handgun permit. It may be a perfectly harmless question...or it may be that the school admins are rabid antigun fanatics that dont want anyone messing with their brainwashing techniques.
    Yeah, right... perfectly harmless and they will skip the background check.

Application denied.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    I would contact the Dept of Labor and ask if the question is legal. In my opinion it is as discriminatory as asking your age, if you have any medical conditions or how you plan to get to work.
    Good idea. I may do this b/c I am curious.

DCG

First of all, if it has anything to do with teaching you can pretty much bet they are not only anti-gun, but more than likely anti-gun zealots. (Just my opinion folks... don't get your shorts in a wad.)

Secondly, per state statute, in my state, ccw permits are not available on background check. If they find out I do have a permit, they've likely done something unethical to get that information. And as far as I'm concerned, that is not beyond liberal school districts to do something like that.

Now, I'm not keen on lying on an application. Especially in today's economy. I think they were way out of bounds even asking that question. I'm not sure if I would admit to having one, say I didn't have one, or just leave it blank. Obviously if you leave it blank, it's as good as saying yes. The problem lies in the fact that there are no laws which compels me to reveal that I have one except to law enforcement officers.

Also, if you say you do not have a ccw, and they don't hire you because they find out you do, then I know they circumvented state laws in order to find information they are not supposed to have. And that I don't like at all. Yet, I would also find it to be very typical behavior for snotty, elitist liberals who dominate public school districts. (Again, just my opinion.)

Bottom line is you gotta do what you think is morally right according to your own compass. Personally, I think I would be truthful and see what happens. If you don't like the results you can always see about bringing a civil suit against them if you think you have a case. I just don't like being dishonest based on principle than anything else.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Maybe a trip to a school board meeting to get the answer straight from the horses, ....yeah, ask them why at a meeting anyhow.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

NA. they can construe it as Not Applicable.
    What you mean is Not Answering.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    NA. they can construe it as Not Applicable.
    What you mean is Not Answering.
    ...and if you make your 'A' just right, it looks kinda like an 'O'.

IT'S a trick question,? I would not lie about it but I would stretch the truth about it just a little.?

I'm with HotGuns on this one... the seat of my ever-so-cynical pants says it's probably to save them the steps involved in a background check. But they could also ask if you have a DoD or DoE security clearance, which would more than cover the same bases, but I bet that question wasn't on the application.

I'm not discounting that sinister, anti-freedom motives may be behind the CCW question, but I do hope you poke at it a bit as to why it's on a teaching application, and report back what you find.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Just ask them "What is this Concealed Carry you speak of and is it something I can get an educators discount on after I get the position?"

And here I am filling out job apps where a "yes' answer is a requirement before they'll take the time to interview you, but I'm not looking to be a teacher.

It could be a case of if they want to ask a question for one position they've been advised to ask for every position, as part of fair hiring practices, so it may be on there for all the teachers, when they only need the answer when it comes to school district security guard.

Glock Certified Armorer

I honestly believe they are asking because they have a bias against gun owners and are making assumptions. As stated before, I think it's way out of bounds.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I would answer the question truthfully. I have nothing to hide. If I don't get the job as a result so be it. Probably not the kind of place I want to work anyway.
    atctimmy likes this.

As part of their background check, they can easily find out as it is public information. There are also companies that perform interwebz social media network checks on people for potential employers. They can find out more about you in 10 minutes and they also hold that information on file for 7 years (so it isn't like deleting it will make the info go away). Read a story on google news about this yesterday...and one of the things they look for is "gun ownership" which they list as potential work place violence. I think that is wrong...but unfortunately it isn't illegal for them to do so. That should be concerning for all of us gunowners.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links