Would You Admit to having a Carry Permit on a Job App?

This is a discussion on Would You Admit to having a Carry Permit on a Job App? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Oddly WV makes it a matter of public record when you get a permit. I've read that a newspaper in Charleston will publish the list ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Would You Admit to having a Carry Permit on a Job App?

Oddly WV makes it a matter of public record when you get a permit. I've read that a newspaper in Charleston will publish the list every now and again, but I've never actually seen it. Kind of makes putting "irrelevant" on the application in this question a moot point.

2. Remove Ads

I live in Kentucky as well, and do not believe this is legal. In this state CCW is not public information. I don't believe even LEOs can get the information without asking you. Don't know how they are able to ask that question on a job application. If it is legal, its news to me.

If I would answer, I'd probably put N/A.

Would You Admit to having a Carry Permit on a Job App?

Ah, NO, absolutely not, Noway, None of their bleeping business. Let me tell you my credit score too, oh and my Religious conviction while I'm at it.

Did I mention No.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Agreed with the above. There is no reason that a school would ask that question unless they were weeding out their "stereotypes" and are very anti-gun. Did they word it correctly? For example: If they ask for a "Concealed Carry Firearms License" I would say "NO". ...Because I have a Concealed Carry Weapons License. IMO.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Tell the truth...always tell the truth. If you don't get the position, it wasn't meant to be. There are other jobs. If I were you, I would quiz an Attorney regarding legality, but I would not lie under any circumstances. just my $.02
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Agreed with the above. There is no reason that a school would ask that question unless they were weeding out their "stereotypes" and are very anti-gun. Did they word it correctly? For example: If they ask for a "Concealed Carry Firearms License" I would say "NO". ...Because I have a Concealed Carry Weapons License. IMO.
    The exact wording is:
    "Do you possess a Carry Concealed Permit in accordance with Kentucky State statute?"

It is a "yes" or "no" question. "N/A" is not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    The exact wording is:
    "Do you possess a Carry Concealed Permit in accordance with Kentucky State statute?"

It is a "yes" or "no" question. "N/A" is not an option.
    In that case, I would leave it at home, go fill out the application, and say NO since it is not in your possession. You aren't lying, and, it is none of their freaking business. If you were carrying your gun and a policeman asked you for your permit, and you didn't have it on you, would you be arrested for not having it on your possession?

You see where I am going with this...

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Source: Kentucky State Police: Concealed Deadly Weapons

A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon SHALL NOT be carried in the following places:
    * Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
    The question has legitimate applications, but I suspect more frequently used for discrimination.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Administrator
    Or, as pointed out already, possibly it will show up as a flag on a back ground check. If you are honest about it, then they'll know to look at the permit as being the reason for the flag and its no big deal.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post

The question has legitimate applications, but I suspect more frequently used for discrimination.
    Yup, and we all know that any question on a application is there for the sole purpose of evaluation and subject to scrutiny. If the question doesn't relate to the Job you're applying for, or an active part of the job description, IMO it's a blatant invasion of one’s privacy. Unless you're applying for school security that is.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    As part of their background check, they can easily find out as it is public information. There are also companies that perform interwebz social media network checks on people for potential employers.
    In my state CCW permit info is not public information and is not available on routine background checks. If they come up with that information on a background check, they have violated or circumvented the law in some manner.

Now, if some third company comes up with the information on some social media network like facebook, my space or some other open source place, then that's your bad for posting stuff regarding guns and your ccw status on line. Stuff you post online is definitely fair game for anyone to use and find.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If it was relevant to the position, MAYBE...otherwise, I'd leave it blank. Who do they think they are? My doctor?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post

I respectfully disagree. Just because you have a conceal carry permit, it is by no means an indication that you are "planning" on carrying a gun in a school. For one thing, its a $10,000 fine and 5 yrs. in prison in KY if you were to do so irrespective of working for the school or not. I can't imagine that a licensed Carry Concealer would even think that it would be okay to carry in a school.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Or, as pointed out already, possibly it will show up as a flag on a back ground check. If you are honest about it, then they'll know to look at the permit as being the reason for the flag and its no big deal.
    I can see this as being a possibility but I still have my doubts about it.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Yup, and we all know that any question on a application is there for the sole purpose of evaluation and subject to scrutiny. If the question doesn't relate to the Job you're applying for, or an active part of the job description, IMO it's a blatant invasion of one’s privacy. Unless you're applying for school security that is.
    I agree with this too, I don't think its any of their business but at the same time it is not a right to work there and anyone that doesn't like their policy, etc. is free to find employment elsewhere. Even though I believe this, the question seems to be such an evasion it appears to be going over the line IMO. I also do not think that your salary from your last place of employment should be a concern of theirs if you are applying for a teaching job given that teacher's salaries have a scale that is posted and is public knowledge. They aren't asking, in other words, to negotiate a salary with you because they have a pre-determined set scale that they go by, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    In my state CCW permit info is not public information and is not available on routine background checks. If they come up with that information on a background check, they have violated or circumvented the law in some manner.

Now, if some third company comes up with the information on some social media network like facebook, my space or some other open source place, then that's your bad for posting stuff regarding guns and your ccw status on line. Stuff you post online is definitely fair game for anyone to use and find.
    I agree and that is why I use discretion in what I post. I don't know if it is public knowledge in KY or if it would show up in a background check or not. Other than police, why would anyone else need to know it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    In that case, I would leave it at home, go fill out the application, and say NO since it is not in your possession. You aren't lying, and, it is none of their freaking business. If you were carrying your gun and a policeman asked you for your permit, and you didn't have it on you, would you be arrested for not having it on your possession?

You see where I am going with this...
    I do but in reality we all know that this is violating the "spirit" of the question and IMO, it is intellectually dishonest. I think I would leave it blank before I would intentionally mislead anyone about it.

I would leave it blank and let the interviewer bring it up in the interview process, if they care to pursue it. Having taken many HR classes, it has been thoroughly drummed into me that if the question has no bearing on the performance of the job, it is against the law to use the question as a basis to consider an employment offer, much less use it to disqualify a candidate.

If the question comes up in the interview, you are well within your rights to ask, politely, how that question relates to the function of teaching in this institution. If they can give adequate justification, then you are required to answer the question. If they cannot show justification then you are well within your right to decline to answer. The thing to remember is that while they can ask any question, it is up to you to decide whether or not you will answer improper questions. Refusing to answer the question may well cost you the position, but if it does, and you can prove it, you will have a basis for litigation.

When interviewing for my last position, the president of the company (Hitachi - not a small outfit) actually asked my age, and the VP of HR, who was present, almost had apoplexy.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

They also use any information they can glean from you (like your e-mail address) to search Blogs and forums posts. Lets say your nic on this forum is the same as your e-mail. All they have to do is google search your nic and they will find posts to this forum and ascertain that you own and carry firearms. One lesson here is always have a professional e-mail address that is basically your name and not something that can be associated with blog or forum names you use.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links