Would You Admit to having a Carry Permit on a Job App? - Page 4

Would You Admit to having a Carry Permit on a Job App?

This is a discussion on Would You Admit to having a Carry Permit on a Job App? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Doesnt seem legal for them to ask. Only questions they can ask you are ones that pertain to your job. If they did refuse you ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Would You Admit to having a Carry Permit on a Job App?

Doesnt seem legal for them to ask. Only questions they can ask you are ones that pertain to your job. If they did refuse you a job based on that it would be considered discrimination however itd be impossible to prove

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Just because you have a conceal carry permit, it is by no means an indication that you are "planning" on carrying a gun in a school. For one thing, its a $10,000 fine and 5 yrs. in prison in KY if you were to do so irrespective of working for the school or not. I can't imagine that a licensed Carry Concealer would even think that it would be okay to carry in a school.
    The legitimate application would be to authorize carry (indicated as a possibility on the linked site) at school facilities during the interview or upon hiring. Unlikely, but theoretically possible.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    They also use any information they can glean from you (like your e-mail address) to search Blogs and forums posts. Lets say your nic on this forum is the same as your e-mail. All they have to do is google search your nic and they will find posts to this forum and ascertain that you own and carry firearms. One lesson here is always have a professional e-mail address that is basically your name and not something that can be associated with blog or forum names you use.
    I never thought of that but it does make sense.

In the Hugging threads, everyone has a kewl lie like, its my cell phone, insulin pump and so on. Tell them no, collect your check and be happy...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Not illegal to lie but when it comes out, you will be terminated. They can ask questions that indicate or reveal what they might believe to be High Risk as far as compatibility with the job you are applying for. CWP holders will be singled out for suspicion when it is politically expeditious to do so and they are easy targets for the anti gun crowd.
    www.isrmatrix.org

Hick's Law + Murphy's Law = Streamlined Problem Solving

short answer, for me, NO!!!
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

I'ld leave it blank and move on. It's 1) none of their business, and 2) leaving it blank is not lying.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Give them the Bill Clinton answer.....I have a permit, but I never owned a gun!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Answer it and be truthful. You'll either get the job or not. The fastest way to lose a job is to lie on the application.
    If you are not truthful on the app...and found out...it would be grounds for immediate dismissal.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yikes! I'd probably leave it blank and ask & answer truthfully if it comes up in the job interview.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It might not be such an bad thing. They may just forego a background check if they know you have a permit...sort of like not having to do a NICS check on a gun if you have a concealed handgun permit. It may be a perfectly harmless question...or it may be that the school admins are rabid antigun fanatics that dont want anyone messing with their brainwashing techniques.
    Perhaps it's the other way around, maybe their looking for a few teachers that can keep the lunchroom undercontrol!
    Perhaps they are planning a Teacher in service training day at the local gun range.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    They also use any information they can glean from you (like your e-mail address) to search Blogs and forums posts. Lets say your nic on this forum is the same as your e-mail. All they have to do is google search your nic and they will find posts to this forum and ascertain that you own and carry firearms. One lesson here is always have a professional e-mail address that is basically your name and not something that can be associated with blog or forum names you use.
    Well they can't check if they don't have your email address or at least not all of them. I only have nine email addresses at this time, I used to have 14, but I paried it down when I stopped working for AOL and got rid of my second AOL account.

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    Oddly WV makes it a matter of public record when you get a permit. I've read that a newspaper in Charleston will publish the list every now and again, but I've never actually seen it. Kind of makes putting "irrelevant" on the application in this question a moot point.
    In my state, the Memphis Commercial-Appeal has a link where you can just type in someone's name and zip code and it will tell you if they are a permit holder. I don't like it, but basically anyone who wants to take the time and effort to find out if you are a permit holder can do so. If you lie on an application about this, and they find out, then they start wondering what else you are not telling the truth about.

Wow.. a surprisingly polarizing thread (and I didn't start it).

I just thought I'd chime in here. In Texas they claim the information is not available to the public. However, a person could easily log onto Texas's CHL website and click "check status of my application." All it asks for is the date of birth, social security number, and driver's license number. Any employer would have that information on an application. So they could, in theory, look it up.

I must admit being very curious as to why they would ask. There must be some reason somebody decided to add it to the application. I have to wonder if it is something similar to what somebody else suggested, where it might explain a certain piece of info on your background check. For example, when taking a drug test they always ask if you are on any prescription medications because some of those may end up causing odd results on your results. The same may be true when they do a background check and perhaps it has caused problems in the past with people who had the permit. That is my theory.

I'd personally just answer it honestly. Then again, I live in a fairly pro-gun state so I wouldn't expect it to be used in a discriminatory manner.

Maybe they've been looking at the Charles Branas study that concluded that people who carry guns are 4.5 times as likely to be shot as unarmed citizens. The anti-gun crowd loves to quote the results of that study. Instead of asking if you own a gun, they sneak the question in the backdoor by asking if you have a permit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links