Had an idea for job recruiters

This is a discussion on Had an idea for job recruiters within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a good job with a good company, I disagree with the policy they have on no firearms (even in the car). I am ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Had an idea for job recruiters

I have a good job with a good company, I disagree with the policy they have on no firearms (even in the car). I am not looking for a job, but I have had recruiters call me lately wanting to submit me to several companies, so I figured I'd see what I can get. I am going to tell them that if they are in a certain area from my house (25 miles or so) and will pay me what I am currently making AND don't have any corporate policies against employees legally carrying firearms then I'll talk to them.

I figure one of 2 things will happen:

1. The company freaks out and doesn't even want to talk to me, so I am no worse off than I am now
    2. The company doesn't have any policies or hang ups about legally carrying and I go talk to them and who knows what will come out of it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I wish you well, but - you're barking up the wrong tree. There's probably not a recruiter in a hundred who would pass along your personal stipulation about carrying on the job. They only get paid when the person they market to an employer is actually hired, and short of misrepresenting you, they're going to flash your resume to the client and try to get you an interview. There is nothing for them to be gained by telling a client "I've got a really good fit for you, but he'll only work for you if you let him carry on the job."

Now if you pay a recruiter to find you a job with your specified working conditions, that's a different story - you call the shots.

If you're serious about finding another employer, don't pre-emptively limit yourself. Get your foot in the door, get the interview, and then if your get an offer that's when you ask about company policies.

No one's going to freak out, they just won't market you. And in any given market area, it's no secret that recruiters talk to each other - they network. I think you want to avoid being known as "that guy" in the recruiting circuit.
    claude clay likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    What Smitty said.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

My Dad was a recruiter (head hunter) for the banking industry for several years. They get a commission on every placement they make. They will definitely entertain the concept of anything you may want on a job site but do not be surprised when some tell you they think you are crazy and others invite you out to the range.

It may be a challenge for the gun guys to find you a gun guy type of position, but for the moment keep your income & never give up hope that one day the boss might have a life altering moment where he sees how you are a sheep-dog and not a sheep or a wolf.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    what Smitty said

when you are given a lead, you check them out in that area as well as--you have to show them that you do your background work
    by asking them some questions that go to you knowing about the company's past potential problems and achievements and
    something about their current goals and procedures. impress the heck out of them with 3 good questions-2 that allow them to smile
    with the answer and one that gives them pause to think. your 2nd amendment rights will be in their handbook.
    time to discuss that is during your 2nd interview. and perhaps their 'fit' for you is so good that some compromise on your part will be made...

good luck
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Don't think I would consider a job change based on the company firearm policy.

There are much more important things to consider, money, benefits, advancement, etc.
    Proud NRA member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I think you want to avoid being known as "that guy" in the recruiting circuit.
    Exactly. You might not need a job now, but who knows what the future holds.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Good advice from Gasmitty. I had two recruiters that I worked with throughout my career, and they knew to call me whenever they had an opportunity that paid 25% more than what I was making. Yup - I followed the money and that turned out to be a good strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Don't think I would consider a job change based on the company firearm policy.

There are much more important things to consider, money, benefits, advancement, etc.
    Normally I agree, but since I am secure in my current position and not really looking I figured I play around and see what I get. I won't even talk to them if the rest doesn't match up to what I already have.

I didn't think about being labeled as "that guy", now that you guys bring that up I will certainly think about it since one day I might NEED that list of recruiters.

I guess I was more venting over the fact that, in Texas of all places, I am being forced to limit my self defense options. I agree with many of the other comments I could get, "don't tell but be prepared if they find out" but I just don't like having to sneak around like that. I'd rather just go about my work day as I do my personal day.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    and than there is--if thats a pic of you at your dojo....it don't look like you have a bad side to sneak up on
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I have a good job with a good company, I disagree with the policy they have on no firearms (even in the car). I am not looking for a job, but I have had recruiters call me lately wanting to submit me to several companies, so I figured I'd see what I can get. I am going to tell them that if they are in a certain area from my house (25 miles or so) and will pay me what I am currently making AND don't have any corporate policies against employees legally carrying firearms then I'll talk to them.

I figure one of 2 things will happen:

1. The company freaks out and doesn't even want to talk to me, so I am no worse off than I am now
    2. The company doesn't have any policies or hang ups about legally carrying and I go talk to them and who knows what will come out of it.
    Well Paco your in luck Our Governor just signed a bill that allows people the ability to keep a firearm in their car at work,that way they aren't being disarmed between home and the drive to and from work

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=6936
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Well Paco your in luck Our Governor just signed a bill that allows people the ability to keep a firearm in their car at work,that way they aren't being disarmed between home and the drive to and from work

NRA-ILA :: Texas: Governor Perry Signs Important Pro-Gun Measures Into Law!
    I just saw that, this bill has been back burner-ed for way too long. I'm glad he signed this before he runs for another job.

-Paco

Sponsored Links