Someone Called the Police on us Today...

This is a discussion on Someone Called the Police on us Today... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just got back from my Father in law's 100+ acre ranch outside of town. I was out there with my good friend, my dad, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Someone Called the Police on us Today...

Someone Called the Police on us Today...

I just got back from my Father in law's 100+ acre ranch outside of town. I was out there with my good friend, my dad, and my sister. My dad was trying out his new PF9 I got him and my sister was learning to shoot for the first time. We had a little safety course as a refresher for my friend and dad and an intro to shooting for my sister.
    She did great. Starting with a 10/22 and working up to my AK.
    We packed up and stood around discussing the 'session' when we looked up to see a Sheriff pulling towards us. Then another, and another. The lead man got out and came up and started talking with us. Opening up with: "you guys shooting a cannon out here?!" I told him no, but the muzzle break on my AK makes it sound that way. He asked about where we were shooting and said someone had called saying that it was really loud and sounded like we were shooting at them. He then asked to see the AK. (3-4 Officers standing around at this point.) I then said "Officer, before we go any further I need to give this to you and let you know I am carrying my Glock 19" He took the license and asked me to show him the weapon. I lifted my shirt revealing my CB supertuck. He nodded and said thanks.
    I showed them the AK and the highest ranking officer comes over and says "Nice! I traded my dog for one of those, best trade I ever made!" And then: "Well, it looks like we're done here. You guys continue to be safe and have a good day" A few other words were said and they left. The lead officer came back and said "If you want to come shoot out here call this number, It's our non emergency station number, tell them you are shooting here and your range has been approved to be safe by officer so-and-so (himself) that way if those people call we can tell them we know who you are and that you are being safe"

All in all it was great. One officer was serious but realized that these people had been startled by the sound and thats it. He seemed like an old timer. (Carrying some sort of revolver with beat up wood grips) The other officers were very nice. They treated us all well and assessed (correctly) that we were being safe. Good day overall!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    sometimes it is just a sunny day, enjoy

we do similar; call b4 we start the session and let them know our starting and finishin time so any calls coming in to the department can be fielded without a drive out to the field.

polite works both ways.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Well sounds like everything turned out good. That always good when you have a good turn out with the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nice to know that with some LEOs not everything is a crime and not everyone is a criminal. A few I've met don't realize that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    I've been on lots of calls like that myself. Really, all I am concerned about is a good backstop.

If you have that, you are good to go.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

We had 100 acres in SE Missouri and some of the wife's city relitives were visiting. We were sitting on the deck when her S-I-L suddenly sits up and says "Did you hear that"!? I say "What?" she says "There it is again, a gun shot! Are to going to call the police"? I said "Why? He doesn't call the police when I shoot my guns. The spring Saturday afternoon I don't hear someone shooting I'll start worrying. This is rural Missouri, we shoot guns here".

Being in Texas I'm a bit surprised anyone called, must have been a fur-ner (Yankee) invading the sovereign state of Texas!

Senior Moderator
    I once went to gunshots fired call about 6:30 in the morning. A woman had bought a nice little get away on the lake with several acres and a nice cabin. She was from out of state. She was in a near panic when I talked to her. "Guns are going off everywhere!" she said. "Its sounds like a war!".

Poor ole gal was scared to death and she asked me what I was going to do. I told her,"not a thing Mam" and I could tell it frustrated her. So me, being the nice guy that I am, gently explained to her that it was the opening day of duck season and that she had picked one of the most popular lakes around in which to duck hunt and it sounded like the hunters were having a pretty good go at it.

She just couldnt beleive that the real estate agent never mentioned that to her. I asked if she asked him about it and she admitted that she didnt. I continued to explain to her that duck season was only 60 days long and that after that it would be pretty quiet...right up until goose season which came a few weeks after duck season closed. I also explained to her that what they were doing was perfectly legal and that she didnt need to be calling us just because she heard a lot of gun fire. So, while it might seem like a long time to her, hunting season really wasnt that long...it was just for a season. It was then that she asked me how long it was.

I told her that Arkansas is fortunate to enjoy a hunting season that was one of the longest in the nation, basically starting September and going all the way to June.

I thought she was going to faint. She asked what she could do about it and I mentioned that she buy a shot gun and start taking advantage of it. It was then that she ran back into her house and slammed the door.I'll bet she had a crying fit.

I really figured I'd get a call from the Sheriff about that but it never came.

Some people just dont know.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Nice to know that with some LEOs not everything is a crime and not everyone is a criminal. A few I've met don't realize that.
    I could name a few of those myself. It took going to the County Attorney to be able to shoot on my own property again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    All in all it was great. One officer was serious but realized that these people had been startled by the sound and thats it. He seemed like an old timer. (Carrying some sort of revolver with beat up wood grips) The other officers were very nice. They treated us all well and assessed (correctly) that we were being safe. Good day overall!
    God Bless Texas!
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    I could name a few of those myself. It took going to the County Attorney to be able to shoot on my own property again.
    You're kidding? In Montana? Wow.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My Father in law owns a brush processing business so we shoot into a brush pile he has out there. Behind that is a hill. over the hill is a few miles of nothing. The officer said if it were him he would move the brush pile over towards the creek and shoot into the bed there.

Like I said, very nice, very respectful. Good day. (That AK is LOUD though, when you shoot it, you can feel the concussion on your face and clothes. Anyone standing within 20 feet, behind the gun of course, can feel the concussion. I am glad I have that number to call now.)

Sounds like reasonable cops to me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like an nice AK :D
    CCW- Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I hear the guy over the hill to the left of my house shooting all the time, as I also do the guy across the hill in front of my house. They don't get excited when I shoot my guns and I don't get excited when they shoot theirs. It's not every day either. These country boys have good back stops, so I say shoot 'em if ya got 'em. With young kids running around my house, I can't hear them unless I'm outside anyway...and if they're out there with me I still can't hear it. Kids should come with a safety warning about protective ear wear. They're loud.
    pinklady likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by younggun View Post
    Sounds like an nice AK :D
    Yes, I love it: Older Pic...
    IMG_0276-1.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links