Brown Widow Spider

Brown Widow Spider

This is a discussion on Brown Widow Spider within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Saw one today while bulb changing on my outdoor pathway lighting. According to the internet, they don't live here, but it definitely was one....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Brown Widow Spider

Brown Widow Spider

Saw one today while bulb changing on my outdoor pathway lighting. According to the internet, they don't live here, but it definitely was one.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

They sound like nasty little critters. They seem to be expanding. Here is something I found on them.
    Brown Widow Spiders article at University of Florida Extension, Sarasota County
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    bad things to have. keep every thing away till you get em. one ain't the way they tend to be. related to the recluse ?
    good luck.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Administrator
    Just a friendly FYI.

With so many people these days ordering so much assorted stuff on line from all domestic and foreign locations - Open boxes outdoors and do not keep packing materials and empty boxes in the house.

Cockroaches, nasty type spiders, bedbugs, fleas, and other pestilence etc...can all hitch a ride right into your home.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    We have Brown Recluses and Black Widows but that is the first time I have ever heard of a Brown Widow.

Thats all we need....
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I seen them all here in FL...but their sacks meet my blow torch.
    babarock likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Having grown up in FL and now living in SC I occasionally will see a Black Widow, and from what I've read it's not the Widows that are the ones to worry about. The Brown Recluse is one bad MoFo. I've seen pics of the wounds from Recluses and it is not something I want to tangle with. While the Widows have a neurotoxic venom, the Recluse venom destroys flesh....as in nightmarish destruction.

Snakes don't bother me one bit. Spiders though make me piss my pants.
    Riana and 8plus1 like this.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    My aunt in Kansas was killed by a brown recluse. She has been bitten several times in her life each time was worse as she developed a greater reaction to it. Finally got bit one to many times and dies rather quickly from what I've heard. I used to work there on the farm every summer as a kid. Never saw one but those Da** chiggers drove me crazy.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

a little off topic but this reminds me of the time a load of steel beams for a bridge was trucked in and on the side of it was this thing, we got closer to it and it was a spider the size of a dinner plate, NASTY looking thing, we killed it

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Saw one today while bulb changing on my outdoor pathway lighting. According to the internet, they don't live here, but it definitely was one.
    Had a friend in Kansas pulled on a pair of jeans and got bit twice in the upper thigh region,he ended up in the hospital and I saw the marks on his leg where they circled the swelling,it was huge.I've never been bit by anything more powerful than a wasp sting yet and hope I never do
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm with Hotguns. Never even heard of a brown one. I have killed several brown recluses and black widows though, along with the dang scorpions, cotton mouths and copperheads that call south Texas their home.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Id pee myself if I saw a brown recluse 0.0 I scream when I see spiders.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Havent seen (or maybe just didnt recognize) a brown widow. Here in CA I kill 3+ a night in the summer. The recluse is the one I fear. Widows you will live, recluse, hopefully you only lose a limb.

That is, black widows I kill 3+ a night.

Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    a little off topic but this reminds me of the time a load of steel beams for a bridge was trucked in and on the side of it was this thing, we got closer to it and it was a spider the size of a dinner plate, NASTY looking thing, we killed it
    Now THAT would make me scream. A spider the size of a dinner plate?!??!! Holy crap!

That's what a 12ga full of bird shot is for. 9 rounds of spider death.

Or a flamethrower. This is a perfect justification for a flamethrower.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links