Watches

This is a discussion on Watches within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Harryball I think your showing your age, most folks use their cell as a way of telling time. Im not sure if ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Watches

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I think your showing your age, most folks use their cell as a way of telling time. Im not sure if I own a watch anymore.
    I hate to admit it but you're right. I don't wear my watches anymore...can't think of the last time I did. All of the ones I own have dead batteries. That's not to say that I don't like watches but occasionally I run into issues with either the buckle or band breaking my wrist out in a rash. My Swiss Army was the last one that I wore and I eventually quit wearing it because I had an issue with the band breaking on me. Checking the cell for time is definitely easy to do but it does lack the character that a nice watch has as well as the pleasure you get out of owning it, etc.

I hope I haven't damaged my watches by leaving them sitting with dead batteries. Is this dangerous or is this an old wives tale?

Quote Originally Posted by MoMike View Post
    Maybe someone here can explain this. I've owned an Accutron that lasted three days and quit. Two Seikos went four ande five days and quit. A Citizens lasted almost a week. A $15 Timex last years.
    I'm not sure what the issue is that you're experiencing. I remember, however, that my dad used to have a problem wearing a watch. My mom used to buy him Seikos (self-winding) costing over $200 (alot of money in the late 70s) and they wouldn't last a year. To be fair, he did heat & air work so they probably experienced a lot of shock, etc. but even after he quit doing that kind of work, he still had problems wearing watches. I have heard that some people can't wear a watch because of the electric current in their body? Anyone here ever heard of that?
    Last edited by SIXTO; July 9th, 2011 at 11:06 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I have worn this watch since I was 15. My first one lasted about 15 years and I am on my second one now. Everything that I do it does with me, Scuba diving, hunting, working, fishing...... you name it.
    I love it.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFkQ8wIwAA#

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I hate to admit it but you're right. I don't wear my watches anymore...can't think of the last time I did. All of the ones I own have dead batteries. That's not to say that I don't like watches but occasionally I run into issues with either the buckle or band breaking my wrist out in a rash. My Swiss Army was the last one that I wore and I eventually quit wearing it because I had an issue with the band breaking on me. Checking the cell for time is definitely easy to do but it does lack the character that a nice watch has as well as the pleasure you get out of owning it, etc.

I hope I haven't damaged my watches by leaving them sitting with dead batteries. Is this dangerous or is this an old wives tale?
    I feel naked without my watch. I guess Im old too.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I bought one Jibby.
    Ha! I just bought 2. One for work!
    Last edited by SIXTO; July 9th, 2011 at 10:24 AM.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I think your showing your age, most folks use their cell as a way of telling time. Im not sure if I own a watch anymore.
    I don't think its about age at all. I have one of the whiz bang phones that does everything, and like it a lot too. But, I refuse to have my nose buried in a phone all the time like I see so many people doing these days. Not only do they look stupid, but they have no idea whats going on around them. And why would I want to fish my phone out of my pocket when I just could glance down at my wrist and look at a fine time piece and instantly know what I want to know?

It kinda has gone full circle now, as the advent of the wrist watch came in recent history with aviation. Early aviators needed something for time keeping and navigation mainly to keep track of fuel consumption. The pocket watch was the thing of the era, and they could not always get to theirs, hence the coming of the wrist watch. And it just snowballed from there.

So, I think you might be showing your age and wanting a "pocket watch" (Which are neat too) I gave a huge clue s to my actual age when I mentioned Swatch watches being cool.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Go to a reputable pawn shop.....good watches could go as low as 50% off price in stores.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

My Seiko was purchased by my wife at a Seiko store in Japan (the days of the week are in Japanese). it was returned to Seiko by her for a good cleaning and update and she gave it to me when we got married. The Accutron was a High School graduation gift from my parents and bought at a jewelry store.

I've never understood it, I guess it's just me. :(

If it makes any difference, I also have to carry a pocket knife made of stainless steel only. A carbon steel knife rusts solid in my pocket inside of a month.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

My wife and I love the fit and finish of our "Invicta" watches. She has two and I have six. I figgure that since the only jewelry I have (other than wedding band) is my watch I can have a few in different colors/finishes. I get most of mine from ShopNBC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links