Watches

This is a discussion on Watches within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Is anybody into quality watches? I am not looking for jewelry or anything with precious metals, but rather something practical and semi-tactical. Preferably it would ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Watches

Watches

Is anybody into quality watches? I am not looking for jewelry or anything with precious metals, but rather something practical and semi-tactical. Preferably it would be something made of mostly metal.

I was looking at Citizen, but any input on brands would be appreciated. I know very little about specs or brands or terminology or anything to do with watches. My budget is maximum of $500.

2. Remove Ads

I'm sure there are other options out there, but check these out.
    Tag Heuer WAC1110.BA0850 Formula One Quartz Men Watch
    Tag Heuer Formula 1 Mens Watch WAH1111.BA0850
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Administrator
    Take a look at Hamilton. Not as well known as the mall brands, but they've been around a long time and are better quality. I like paying for actual quality and not necessarily name brand.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have been into watches for a looong time. Good bets for what you are looking for are some of the Seiko dive watches $300-500 (in house movements) if you like an automatic (which I recommend, no battery to change) or for something digital with stopwatch...the G Shock line $200-400 is very tough but takes a battery, quartz.

Otherwise, if you go automatic movement, try to stay with an ETA based movement.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    I have been into watches for a looong time. Good bets for what you are looking for are some of the Seiko dive watches (in house movements) if you like an automatic (which I recommend, no battery to change) or for something digital with stopwatch...the G Shock line is very tough but takes a battery, quartz.

Otherwise, if you go automatic movement, try to stay with an ETA based movement.
    I agree with the above. I really like the Sieko 5 movement. They are well below your budget too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    I can't believe this thread hasnt had more interest. Also check out Victorinox and Luminox brands, both make quality watches in your price range.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I purchased a Movado Sport Edition back in 200 and still wear it today. It's a really nice dress watch with stainless band, gold "Movado dots" on each link, a black face (really cool IMO), Movado gold dot at 12:00, and trimmed in gold with a sapphire crystal and of course, Swiss movement. Love that watch. Replaced battery once in 11 years and it keeps time perfectly. Here's a pic of it. These are very fine watches.

Movado Sports Edition 605910 Watch for Men - Product Reviews and Prices - Shopping.com
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I posted this to you elsewhere DG, but I'll share it here too. The customer comments are priceless:

Amazon.com: Zenith Men's 96.0529.4035/51.M Defy Xtreme Tourbillon Titanium Chronograph Watch: Zenith: Watches
    Justified, JOHNSMITH and kb2wji like this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I agree with the above. I really like the Sieko 5 movement. They are well below your budget too.
    I wear a Seiko dive watch every day. I bought it in October of 1979 and it's worked perfectly every day since. I would highly recommend one of these. I outfitted it with a Velcro band years ago, and since then have learned to buy velcro in bulk and keep the hardware for making new bands.

I'll bet this watch has only missed the four days of my Walk to Emmaus in over 11,500 days of continuous wear.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    I posted this to you elsewhere DG, but I'll share it here too. The customer comments are priceless:

Amazon.com: Zenith Men's 96.0529.4035/51.M Defy Xtreme Tourbillon Titanium Chronograph Watch: Zenith: Watches
    Those comments are worth the price of admission, right there. That was funny.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

This gets my vote....I love this watch..Has never failed me yet!!

Amazon.com: Luminox 3951 Evo Navy Seal Mens Watch: Watches

Of the above mentioned, I have several, including a Citizen. Mine isn't "tactical" looking at all, it is my dress watch, but it does have their Eco-drive system in it, that just requires exposure to light to keep it ticking. I have only had it less than a year, but so far I like it. It it simple and elegant, and I never need to change a battery in it. It is also extremely thin. I haven't had any of their other models.

IF you want a "tactical" watch, the Casio G-shock really is it. All those adds about "Navy Seal" and "Fighter Pilots" have nice looking watches, but I know a whole lot of grunts, myself included, who had G-shocks on our wrists that survived multiple deployments. They can take just about any abuse you can give them, and keep going. Of course, they are rubber, and digital. So you can't pull the winding handle spring out to use as a garrote, but for functionality in a rough and tumble watch, they are hard to beat.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post

I bought one Jibby.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Lum-Tec, Oris, Boluva, Nixon, TW Steel, Tissot. Oris is on the higher end of these starting around 800 or so but a great time piece. And you can't go wrong with a Hamilton watch. And for a digital, G-Shock. I have or had most of these and haven't had a problem. And remember if you like a watch but not the band you can replace the band. Changing the band gives it versatility with outfits.

Nevermind about the Oris. Just re-read you original post. But you may be able to find a used one as well. For fun you can check out Jameslist.com it has tons of watches that are all over the place in price. WIth a bunch of other goodies.

If you want to be totally diffrent ask for this for christmas,birthday, and retirement. Any of them will do Thunderbolt, Frog or Rebel
    Horological Machines - Maximilian Büsser & Friends

Distinguished Member
    Are you looking for something rugged, or just rugged looks?

I have a model of the Tag Heuer Formula 1 as mentioned above. It's a great watch, and it's pretty durable as well. It's my go to watch for normal every day wear. I do get a lot of compliments on it. They can be pricey though.

Then I have two other watches made by a local guy with a small business. Great quality and a little more affordable. He offers each style in several different finishes and colors. Sometimes you might have to wait a while to get one if he doesn't have any in stock since he only manufactures in small lots. NFW

The Regulator. Nice looking, I wear this with suits or when dressing up. It's pretty durable as well, there are some photos of one online that survived a motorcycle accident. It has a bit of road rash but it still works.

The Autopilot. This is a big watch, but feels so solid. I have the automatic with rose gold and black face. My other favorite is the all black with orange accents.

But when I'm out in the field, playing sports or doing yard/house type work, I wear my Casio G-shock. $70 @ Walmart.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links