Obama wants execution stopped..... - Page 4

Obama wants execution stopped.....

This is a discussion on Obama wants execution stopped..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think whomever calls it off should go to the poor girls parents an look them in the eyes an explain it to them, if ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Obama wants execution stopped.....

I think whomever calls it off should go to the poor girls parents an look them in the eyes an explain it to them, if they got the jewels to do it. which I dont belive they do!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The scope of that ruling is what is being tested, given Congress's inability to write a law (anticipated by the prior ruling) which sustains the treaty language. This is a legitimate suit which would be done by The Justice Department under any administration. It is not a liberal or conservative or partisan action. There are important issues left over which are unresolved.
    The only issue is, Obama wants to get all the illegals the right to vote so he can get another term... He's more concerned about the Mexican government, than us, that's why he bends over backwards to please them. He's using them as another means to get total gun control and confiscation passed here. That's why he's the one who approved 'project gunrunner', 'fast and furious' or whatever name they want to call it. That's why it's being covered up. That's his agenda... He reads it from a teleprompter daily...

Any 3rd grader can figure out you don't run a multi-billion dollar business which requires heavily armed security, by making straw purchases one gun at a time from "Bubb'a Gunshop and Groceries".

You want mob justice for US citizens overseas in return for our carelessness, hope you never find yourself in such a situation.
    If they committed a crime, suffer the consequences, in that country. If they think they can visit another country and ignore it's laws, because their from the USA, they deserve nothing better.

I won't find myself in this situation, because I'm smart enough not to travel where I'm not wanted. I feel no need to leave the US ever again. Last time I did, I went thru heck, it felt like.... like... like war.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Here is the real issue, and not the made up garbage being thrown around here to create a false partisan issue.

In the 2008 ruling -The U.S. Supreme Court took Medellin's renewed appeal but agreed with the Texas courts in this most recent decision, stating that the Vienna Convention was not "self-executing" and Congress would have to make the treaty binding in the U.S. courts. United States Supreme Court Decisions: 2007-2008 Term | Death Penalty Information Center

That is, The Supremes left it to Congress to implement laws to put the treaty to effect. Congress has failed to do this. The present suit has come about because of Congressional failure to enact appropriate implementing legislation, not because "the states can do whatever they want" or because Article VI was struck down, or any such thing. The one issue which was resolved was a claim by Bush that he had the authority to order the state to not execute Medllin. The Supremes ruled that the president lacked that authority.

Again, this is a technical matter, and those of you who are trying to bludgeon the present President with the issue as if it were a partisan issue are either being deliberately provocative or willfully inattentive to what the case is about.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I dont think it is about Obama as much as it is about illegal Mexicans. Right Hopyard? This has always been a touchy subject with you in the past. Just saying....

VIP Member
    If I'm getting too political, I apologize to the moderators and all members of the forum.

That... is my final comment on this thread....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Correct me if I'm an idiot, but does not Obama have the ability to commute the sentence himself?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    If I'm getting too political, I apologize to the moderators and all members of the forum.

That... is my final comment on this thread....
    Yep...me too. I'm done. All this has done, is raise my blood pressure, put me in a foul mood, and caused me to lose some respect for a member I had respect for.
    Last edited by Stubborn; July 7th, 2011 at 05:02 PM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I dont think it is about Obama as much as it is about illegal Mexicans. Right Hopyard? This has always been a touchy subject with you in the past. Just saying....
    Not at all Erinie. I couldn't care less if the guy gets the needle; as he appears to deserve it well.

My concerns in this thread are strictly about the meaning and implementation of Article VI Paragraph 2, the 2008 SC ruling, and Congressional failure to pass the anticipated legislation implementing the Vienna Convention.

I am rather disgusted at the sort of reckless way some here are attempting to turn a technical legal issue into a partisan political cause.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Not at all Erinie. I couldn't care less if the guy gets the needle; as he appears to deserve it well.

My concerns in this thread are strictly about the meaning and implementation of Article VI Paragraph 2, the 2008 SC ruling, and Congressional failure to pass the anticipated legislation implementing the Vienna Convention.

I am rather disgusted at the sort of reckless way some here are attempting to turn a technical legal issue into a partisan political cause.

Everythings political in the world we live in. Just a fact of life right now. When politicians actually do the bidding of their constituents (like that will really ever happen) politics wont be such a hot topic.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Everythings political in the world we live in. Just a fact of life right now. When politicians actually do the bidding of their constituents (like that will really ever happen) politics wont be such a hot topic.
    Ending with this note-- It doesn't have to be this way. Folks need to remember we all float on the same boat.
    See my new sig line.
    Andrew Jackson

I read that this guy had lived in the US since he was 2 or 3. What was his status? Did he come here legally?
    Was he naturalized? His nationality and immigration status plays a key role in this discussion.
    As far as I know, the USA doesn't do dual-citizenship.
    Does this guy have a legitimate right to the benefits of Mexican citizenship when he was in a 'common law relationship' with us?
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

There is not only the 2008 opinion.
    From 2006 there is also Sanchez-Llamas v. Oregon 548 U.S.331
    From the syllabus:
    In contrast,Article 36 has nothing to do with searches or interrogations and, indeed, does not guarantee defendants any assistance at all. It secures for foreign nationals only the right to have their consulate informed of their arrest or detention—not to have their consulate intervene, or to have police cease their investigation pending any such notice or intervention. Moreover, the failure to inform a defendant of his Article 36 rights is unlikely, with any frequency, to produce unreliable confessions, see Watkins v. Sowders,449 U. S. 341 , or to give the police any practical advantage in obtaining incriminating evidence, see Elkins v. United States,364 U. S. 206 .
    And Article III Section 2
    Section 2

The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority;--to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls;--to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction;--to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party;--to Controversies between two or more States;--between a State and Citizens of another State;10 --between Citizens of different States, --between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects.
    SCOTUS has the final say as to if the treaty is legally enforceable in the U.S. and if it is, how it is.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

TODAY .... .IS THE DAY ! ! !

There was another case in the past in Texas.

The Oman Admin took it to the Supreme Court asking for a 6 month stay of execution. In the past case, the Supreme Court denied it.

There is apparently a bill to approve a treaty in Congress, that they have not voted on yet, and Oman wants to give them time to pass it.... and vote on it. It gives any non-citizen the right for their native country to be involved in any court cases that they may become involved in within the USA. They are arguing that he was never 'informed' that he could seek assistance from Mexico in his court case.

Can you imagine what that would do with all of the illegals here on the courts, etc. I hope Congress never passes approval of that treaty.

Gov Perry, still refuses to issue a stay of execution, and Texas keeps pointing out how horrific it was.... the manner, etc. that this guy raped a 16 yr old girl and manner he killed her.

Apparently , in Oman's eyes... it's ok to rape and kill a 16 yr old girl, and he'll stand on the side of the murderer.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    TODAY .... .IS THE DAY ! ! !

Can you imagine what that would do with all of the illegals here on the courts, etc. I hope Congress never passes approval of that treaty.
    From Wikipedia: "The Vienna Convention on Consular Relations of 1963 is an international treaty that defines a framework for consular relations between independent countries."

There is nothing new, its been around for nearly 50 years.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post

SCOTUS has the final say as to if the treaty is legally enforceable in the U.S. and if it is, how it is.
    Indeed. And they made it known in the 2008 case that they wanted Congress to pass some legislation on implementation of the Vienna Convention because they said it was not "self-enforcing." This Congress failed to do, and Congressional failure is what has brought us to the present litigation.

BOTH the present Prez and the immediate past Prez have crossed swords with Texas on this matter. It is, not about the condemned man, or the treaty. It is about the tug and pull of Federal v State power and Executive Power. Remember, The Supremes limited GWB's Executive Power as he had claimed a right to order Texas to not proceed with an execution. Its an intricate issue because on the one hand we don't want a King, and on the other hand we need a mechanism to uphold agreements we enter into in a national way, and not at the whim of states.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links